What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do I want an iPad? New to the forums...

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and hope to have a new iPad soon. I think. Currently I have an iPhone 4 and always thought, "why do I need an iPad? My iPhone does everything I need." Except I'm getting older and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. It might be nice not to have to hold the device up to my face, squint over the top of my glasses, etc. I'd also like a device that I can read magazines and blogs on.

I have a Kindle ereader, and am a big Amazon fan, so when they released the Fire, I snagged one of those. Its a great little device, but I quickly released that I needed more. I liked the 7 inch size, so I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab. It was more in line with what I was looking for, but the magazine reading experience wasn't what I was looking for.

Eventually I realized that the Samsung Tab wasn't what I was wanting, either. After all my years of using an iPhone, I find that I am too entrenched in the iOS, and wasn't loving the Android device. Unfortunately, I realized this too late and missed my Amazon return window by 4 days. Dang it!

My boyfriend laughs at me, and says I just need to suck it up and get an iPad. I suspect he's right, but the price holds me back. If I get one, I'm pretty sure I want a 3G version; that way I'd be able to use it for work when I travel. I know I want one, but I just wonder if I can justify the expense. They are so expensive, and, if I'm being honest, somewhat redundant considering I have an iPhone and a netbook (as well as my work-issued laptop) that I CAN travel with. Oh, and my Kindle ereader.

But I want one!! Is that why most people buy them? Just cuz they want them? Tell me, please, what does an iPad do that my other devices can't?

Also, do I want to wait for the 3's and get one of those? If I decide to do that, would I have a long wait ahead? I'm remembering how it goes when the new iPhones come out; is there a huge demand when the new iPads are released, making it hard to get one?

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings ;); and thank you for any words of advice or encouragement you can offer.

Last edited:

ipaddeveloper888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it is portable and does lots of amazing things (word processing, spreadsheets, lots of apps). and yes, wait for the 3. order directly from apple.

ODB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish I had spent my cash on more hd and not the 3G there so many hot sopts now I don't use the 3G much and its slow
Mine replaces kindel and laptop when out and does loads of cool stuff worth the cash to me

promit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mdholm said:
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and hope to have a new iPad soon. I think. Currently I have an iPhone 4 and always thought, "why do I need an iPad? My iPhone does everything I need." Except I'm getting older and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. It might be nice not to have to hold the device up to my face, squint over the top of my glasses, etc. I'd also like a device that I can read magazines and blogs on.

I have a Kindle ereader, and am a big Amazon fan, so when they released the Fire, I snagged one of those. Its a great little device, but I quickly released that I needed more. I liked the 7 inch size, so I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab. It was more in line with what I was looking for, but the magazine reading experience wasn't what I was looking for.

Eventually I realized that the Samsung Tab wasn't what I was wanting, either. After all my years of using an iPhone, I find that I am too entrenched in the iOS, and wasn't loving the Android device. Unfortunately, I realized this too late and missed my Amazon return window by 4 days. Dang it!

My boyfriend laughs at me, and says I just need to suck it up and get an iPad. I suspect he's right, but the price holds me back. If I get one, I'm pretty sure I want a 3G version; that way I'd be able to use it for work when I travel. I know I want one, but I just wonder if I can justify the expense. They are so expensive, and, if I'm being honest, somewhat redundant considering I have an iPhone and a netbook (as well as my work-issued laptop) that I CAN travel with. Oh, and my Kindle ereader.

But I want one!! Is that why most people buy them? Just cuz they want them? Tell me, please, what does an iPad do that my other devices can't?

Also, do I want to wait for the 3's and get one of those? If I decide to do that, would I have a long wait ahead? I'm remembering how it goes when the new iPhones come out; is there a huge demand when the new iPads are released, making it hard to get one?

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings ;); and thank you for any words of advice or encouragement you can offer.

U will love padding...

Shanklysbest

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My uncle sold the IPad to me with a few simple words. I asked him why should I get an IPad? His response........ You will only ever know why you need one once you have one! He wasn't wrong either.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
The iPad and the iPhone are not the same beast.

Technically, they are identical, but from my point of view, an iPhone is a small iPad.

The iPhone is a convenient way to access the internet, read emails, view pictures and so on. The iPad is the perfect way to do those things!
And since you already have an iPhone, just get the WiFi version since you can connect of your iPhone internet access if no hotspot is available.

By comparison, it's a portable chair vs a couch: both let you rest, but the couch is way more comfortable and cozy ;). Oh, you can't bring your couch on the road tho... Anyway, you get the picture.

VicoPad addict!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

If you love your iPhone, you will love your iPad even more and you'll find you will go everywhere with it. I have 3G and wouldn't be without it, if you want true GPS get a 3G. Wait for the 3, it won't be long now!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
M

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And since you already have an iPhone, just get the WiFi version since you can connect of your iPhone internet access if no hotspot is available

Are you saying to just use my phone if no wifi is available, or use it as a hot spot? I can't do that without giving up my unlimited data plan.

OP
M

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.

We have rules like any Community so please read these also

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Oh no, did I violate a rule? And, thanks for the links.

McTablet_T2C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shanklysbest said:
My uncle sold the IPad to me with a few simple words. I asked him why should I get an IPad? His response........ You will only ever know why you need one once you have one! He wasn't wrong either.

That's is so true , for years I was anti iPhone. Then finally got the 3gs
Changed my life. Now i know need it (have 4 now) :)

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
mdholm said:
Are you saying to just use my phone if no wifi is available, or use it as a hot spot? I can't do that without giving up my unlimited data plan.

As a hotspot... But you're right, I forgot that some plans do not include tethering. With Rogers in Canada, it's include by default with a 1 gig data plan and above...

VicoPad addict!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, not at all, that is a link to the Rules is all. Nice intro by the way.

Last edited:
OP
M

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a hotspot... But you're right, I forgot that some plans do not include tethering. With Rogers in Canada, it's include by default with a 1 gig data plan and above...

VicoPad addict!

I wish it were like that here. I can get it with a different plan, but can't bring myself to give up my current plan. Sometimes I think I should check my actual data useage and see if I could get by with one of the tethering plans.

OP
M

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, not at all, that is a link to the Rules is all. Nice intro by the way.

Whew! I'll admit that I hadn't read the rules yet, being so anxious to jump right in. I've read them now, though!

And, thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts