What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Data Plan?

rboseley22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased an iPad3 solely for my wife to use as a picture album. She loves the old fashioned, sit down and look through pics with a friend thing. She is a completely non technical, and can never seem to get to her pictures using her Mac notebook. Color me stupid, but I had this idea that would not use any services at all. I can upload pics to the iPad with no wireless or any other connection except direct to camera. Why then should I have to pay AT&T another $40 per month for another data plan? I already have unlimited on my iPhone and a small plan on wife’s iPhone. Sure, the ability is there, but that’s why the carrier has all those computers. They can tell if I access the net or other service from the iPad. Everything is turned off - and she can flip through pictures by the hour without “using†anyone’s service. AT&T does not see it this way. Any thoughts?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure how things operate in the US, but in Canada, my iPad came with a SIM which was not activated. Since I can tether the iPad to my iPhone, or use wifi, I have never activated the SIM, and have no data plan.

Is it not possible to do this, or do you have to buy a plan at the time of purchase, regardless of who you buy the thing from?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased an iPad3 solely for my wife to use as a picture album. She loves the old fashioned, sit down and look through pics with a friend thing. She is a completely non technical, and can never seem to get to her pictures using her Mac notebook. Color me stupid, but I had this idea that would not use any services at all. I can upload pics to the iPad with no wireless or any other connection except direct to camera. Why then should I have to pay AT&T another $40 per month for another data plan? I already have unlimited on my iPhone and a small plan on wife’s iPhone. Sure, the ability is there, but that’s why the carrier has all those computers. They can tell if I access the net or other service from the iPad. Everything is turned off - and she can flip through pictures by the hour without “using†anyone’s service. AT&T does not see it this way. Any thoughts?

Did you buy an iPad subsidized by AT&T? If not, there's no data plan unless you decide to purchase one.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can connect to your computers and your iPhones using bluetooth or wifi. To connect to the outside like the iPhone does, by cellular connection, you have to have an iPad that has cellular capability. 3G on the first two models, 4G on the current model. Depending on service provider, data plans can start at $15 and go up, depending on how much use you plan. You can connect to the internet without the cellular service by connecting to a wifi network connection. Many eateries, hotels, schools, and other locations offer free services for that, or you can use your home connection. If you have internet service at home, you need a wifi router to connect to it. You can also use your iPhone as a wifi hub, but you must pay a fee to use it from most carriers.

OP
R

rboseley22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I apologize most sincerely for having broken a rule. I simply felt I had posted to the wrong forum. I do not say that sarcastically. All square?

Now back to this plan situation. As I indicated, I have an unlimited plan via AT&T. I am set up for in-house wireless. When I complete a picture set, I go directly to the iPad via cable connection. Then of course to my Mac. I purchased the iPad “cold” from an Apple store - wireless only. Something got my attention as I went through the”set-up” - which obviously was nothing. So I called AT&T and the nice lady assured me I would be required to have another plan. I did not bite, because, and I think this is what I am hearing, I am using nothing belonging to AT&T pertaining to the pad. Thanks.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like you were confused, then called AT&T and there was miscommunication. There's no reason to call AT&T at all unless you want data, so the AT&T rep probably was confused by your call.

g0n2a135

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Not sure how things operate in the US, but in Canada, my iPad came with a SIM which was not activated. Since I can tether the iPad to my iPhone, or use wifi, I have never activated the SIM, and have no data plan.

Is it not possible to do this, or do you have to buy a plan at the time of purchase, regardless of who you buy the thing from?

Kevin,

Do you know if there is a way to check wifi usage to gauge how much of a data plan is needed if someone is making a decision to get one?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how are you tethering your iPhone to your iPad?

Thanks

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
g0n2a135 said:
Kevin,

Do you know if there is a way to check wifi usage to gauge how much of a data plan is needed if someone is making a decision to get one?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how are you tethering your iPhone to your iPad?

Thanks

Sorry, I don't. Rogers offer 250Mb per month for $15. Can't remember what the next price point is, but I think it buys 1Gb. I assume that would be enough. I'm a pretty heavy user and my data across two devices is less than 1Gb, partly because if wifi, of course.

I tether my iPad to my iPhone 4 using the built in personal hotspot found in Settings on the iPhone. Telus do not charge for tethering. You just share the data between two devices.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have Verizon but same deal. I bought my Ipad 3 directly from Apple store for delivery the 16th. I had had Ipad one for two years, wifi only but wanted 3G for occasional use. IF you have a data plan for Ipad I would ask for removal of data plan from Ipad. You can buy the monthly plan directly from your Ipad, choose to buy a different amount each month or not buy it all for several months at a time or NEVER. Miscommunication from AT&T--none of the Ipads in US are supported monetarily (subsidized) to carrier by Apple, you pay full price, so there is no contract like the phones.

I bought the least, 1GB (think AT&T starts at 2GB) and have only used 100MB this month. I suspect I will go back to no data except for travel and buy it for the months as I need it.

You can own a 3G Ipad and not buy any data. It is simply an option so you CAN buy data if you choose.

Diane

tate16t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Verizon but same deal. I bought my Ipad 3 directly from Apple store for delivery the 16th. I had had Ipad one for two years, wifi only but wanted 3G for occasional use. IF you have a data plan for Ipad I would ask for removal of data plan from Ipad. You can buy the monthly plan directly from your Ipad, choose to buy a different amount each month or not buy it all for several months at a time or NEVER. Miscommunication from AT&T--none of the Ipads in US are supported monetarily (subsidized) to carrier by Apple, you pay full price, so there is no contract like the phones.

I bought the least, 1GB (think AT&T starts at 2GB) and have only used 100MB this month. I suspect I will go back to no data except for travel and buy it for the months as I need it.

You can own a 3G Ipad and not buy any data. It is simply an option so you CAN buy data if you choose.

Diane

Hi Diane,

I'm a first time owner of an iPad 3 with Verizon service. Are you saying that I can turn on/off as I want? For instance, I travel to and from work by train and wifi is very choppy. Could I turn on the Verizon data plan when traveling for 2hrs and off at other times?

Thx

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tate16t said:
Hi Diane,

I'm a first time owner of an iPad 3 with Verizon service. Are you saying that I can turn on/off as I want? For instance, I travel to and from work by train and wifi is very choppy. Could I turn on the Verizon data plan when traveling for 2hrs and off at other times?

Thx

You wouldn't turn the plan off for two hours.....but you can turn off your cellular antennas on your iPad....which means you would use no data for two hours.

You can suspend you service for extended periods of time when you know you won't be using cellular service. You have to log into your Verizon account to do that.

tate16t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
You wouldn't turn the plan off for two hours.....but you can turn off your cellular antennas on your iPad....which means you would use no data for two hours.

You can suspend you service for extended periods of time when you know you won't be using cellular service. You have to log into your Verizon account to do that.

Thanks. In this case I would still incur a $20 monthly charge?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tate16t said:
Thanks. In this case I would still incur a $20 monthly charge?

Yes.Data Plans are based on how much data you buy for a thirty (30) day period--that is how it works in the USA. If you don't use it with 30 days you loose it. Both AT&T and Verizon offer similar plans. For the new iPad third generation, Verizon allows the iPad to be a hotspot. I hope AT&T will turn it on for my version of this iPad.

tate16t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MattIM said:
Yes.Data Plans are based on how much data you buy for a thirty (30) day period--that is how it works in the USA. If you don't use it with 30 days you loose it. Both AT&T and Verizon offer similar plans. For the new iPad third generation, Verizon allows the iPad to be a hotspot. I hope AT&T will turn it on for my version of this iPad.

I would definitely need a smaller plan. I thought Verizon's smallest plan was the 1GB $20 per month plan.

Most reactions

Latest posts