What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G is a waste of money

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to me it a waste of good money right now for it a lot of bait and switch programs for the whole data system for a 3G ipad ..

so are guys really happy with your 3G data plans right now with all the socalled limits that are putting on the data programs ..

the reason i bring this up a person i work with got the email from AT&T saying if she would sign another year concract she could bundle her ipad 3G.program and her iphone data plan from before that was unlimited she got her first bill and they are over chargeing her for the data plans ..

it going to cost her about $.3oo.oo dollars to get out of the ipad data plan ..

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your friend, it seems that she's succumbed to sales pressure. That can happen in any store or company.
I'm very satisfied with the plan I have. 500mb for 20$. That's all I need. Does your friend really need unlimited access?
I live around the countryside. Wifi hotspots are not always available and when they are you have to contend why crowds, unsophisticated customers and obtuse store keepers. (you should know) Just for the sake of avoiding them all I think 3G is worth every penny.
And I get GPS!

Last edited:
OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
she useing in her work for she is one of the sale rep that we use for she check the status of the parts that we order to build some of the system we use along with her beening a good sport about us calling at 1.am in the morning leaveing phone mails or a text for her to order a part in the morning and keeping in touch with the office plus anything else the sale people use there phones and ipads for when out on the road working..she is one of the good reps that we have for a lot of them i would use the word that would get me banned here about them ..

she took the printed out email from AT&T to the local att store here in modesto about keeping her unlimited data plan for both the iphone and ipad if she signed up for another year with AT&T when she signed up for another year with them ..when her bill came in this week it showed a high used and a lot more overcharges on the bill ..

i told her to call the customer service desk in the morning and make a complaint about them not keeping there side of the deal..

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Ivan i agree with you , i am 100% satisfied about my 3G and i have found he is more sensible in wifi than the wifi of my wife , yet she regrets to don’t buy a 3G as many time when we go out she try to borrow my 3G :))

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3gb's per month + 'unlimited' wifi access point for £15 per month (about $25?). I'm more than happy with it thanks.

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love my 3G, I can't imagine not being able to use my iPad when I'm out of the house or not around a hot spot. Hell I sold a car on eBay when I was on 3G.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i understand that every business needs to make money or they would not be in business for long ..the whole thing with AT&T is that they came out with a unlimited plan along with emailing customers who where about to leave them for there yearly contract was up and if you sign up for another year you can bundle the two programs togerther and get unlimited amount of data program ..i got the same email as she did and made the deal with the AT&T about staying with them for another year if they would do this deal .

her total amount for the month was just over 6.3/8 gb for the month now at 25.cents a mb over the socaled cap of 5.gb that is a lot of money to have to shell out for a socalled unlimited data program ..

a lot of people here signed up for the AT&T unlimited plan when it came out and now look at them they are changeing the rules of the game in less than three months after it came out..

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my personal date plan for my wireless boardband card from Verizon was set at 8.gb a month for when i traveled and i used every bit of the 8.gb ..my bill was at $.155.oo a month for phone and wireless board band card set up ..

when i went to cricket for my wireless board band set up after Verizon i got into a little tiff with them over the socalled unlimited plan that they had sold me for once i was getting to the socalled 5.gb limit they would try to slow down the useage ..i was basically downloading my tv shows i missed and was watching them on the laptop when off work and they say i was going over the limit every month when doing that.... when my lawyer wrote them a nice letter saying unlimited board band useage in there adds it mean unlimited as he explain to them in the letter after that i did not have a problem with the socalled 5.gb limit that seams all the companys have ..

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Almost all "unlimited" schemes have some kind of fair usage policy attached to them. We do have the same problem in the uk. Personally, I think it's a trading standards issue in that if it is not truly unlimited (I.e. You could stream video 24 hours a day, 365 days a year if you wanted to), they should be forced to state a limit - not the wooly "unlimited, unless we think you're using too much in which case we'll make a seemingly arbitrary decision what we're going to do month after month". Why they aren't forced to say 10gb, 20gb limit or whatever I don't know.

Presumably, people are still naive enough to think unlimited actually means unlimited.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
in my line of work when you come to me and give me a basic set of things you want the software and hardware to do ..i have to follow that set of basic rules of dealing with you on the subect of doing the job..so down the line you can tell this is not working right and i need to fix it or lose the contract with you over the not doing the propler job in the first place..

so of the things that a lot of the people want is just like in the tv shows and movies when it comes to doing some of the things that they see there ..so it a lot of telling people when can do that but it going to cost you a lot of money to make it like that ..

in the business we call the CSi effect

today i was at a computer place and wanted something bult that was going to be a high end gameing computer as a person birthday present and a thank you for the work that they did all summer long with me ..they did not get a paycheck but was feed and put up in a hotel room when we where out on the road given a little pocket money here and there when out the road to buy things if they need it and they worked as a gofer and allaround go and do the grunt work ..we started with the basic system and went up from there and got up to the how and want i wanted along with the four flat screen moniters for the screen system ..he sold me one at the regular price and give me a break on the other three moniters $,5,oo dollars over his cost.. ..

the guy give me a good deal on the handbult desktop and i got the whole system for a little less than $.1500.oo.dollars out the door for four flat screen 22.inch moniters with a completely bult desktop for gameing along with the guy will upgrade the system when it needs with new ram and hard drives and other items as it need ..i figure the extra three moniters is going to be a kick -- system with it stand for holding the moniters for them to play games on ..

Last edited:

pointdexler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 64gb WIFI ipad but I have rooted my android phone and loaded a WIFI tethering apps.. now I can create a wifi hotspot for my ipad and iphone thru my android phone 3G plan..
Getting a 3G ipad means getting another 3G data plan...

Big samm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i like my ipad 3G am not a starbucks guy... i never used a public wi-fi yet... why? i got 3G..i can go to the park or near the water and relax and surf the web or watch a movie on netflix all that without worrying about free hot spots..
i pay 30$ for 6gb for my iphone and 10$ extra so i can share my iphone data plan with my ipad!! For 10$ extra why not?

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i old fashion in a couple of areas when dealing with a company ..

1-when you say your going to give a deal and this is the deal price stick to the deal so if say it unlimited with no hidden fees on the deal that means unlimited not a set amount that you can not go over..

2-when if i give you my word on something and we shake hands on it ..come heck or high water iam going to stick to my word on the deal or i use them saying if iam dead or locked up in jail if iam dead sorry i can not complete the deal .. if iam in jail it just going to take me a little longer to get the deal done that all..as i tell people ..

maybe that old fashion but that what i was raised to belive that.when you give your word it means it only good as the person behind it i was taught ..so mean it or do not give your word to someone..

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 64gb WIFI ipad but I have rooted my android phone and loaded a WIFI tethering apps.. now I can create a wifi hotspot for my ipad and iphone thru my android phone 3G plan..
Getting a 3G ipad means getting another 3G data plan...
I'm with you on that, but I use my iPhone 4 to do it via MyWi.

That said I am thinking of exchanging for 3G version, if only for the GPS.

Michael

Most reactions