What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why buy the 3g ipad if you have personal hotspot??

Tazz229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
His may have been mentioned before here but I haven't seen it...
I've spoken to loads of people who have iPhone 4's and yet still buy the 3G iPad to use it on the move..? Why?
Just turn on personal hotspot! Surely it's far cheaper all round. If you need more data just increase your allowance!

OP
Tazz229

Tazz229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:
No idea. I bought a 3G pad but we have no smart phones, only home wifi.

That makes perfect sense lol

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
His may have been mentioned before here but I haven't seen it...
I've spoken to loads of people who have iPhone 4's and yet still buy the 3G iPad to use it on the move..? Why?
Just turn on personal hotspot! Surely it's far cheaper all round. If you need more data just increase your allowance!

You are assuming that people who have iPhone 4's fully understand the personal hotspot option and how to use it with their iPads.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
GPS, and convenience. And some people aren't just one people. Hard to use the iPhone's hotspot if the person with the iPhone isn't with you.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The drain on the phones battery to always have a personal hot spot running made the decision for me. I want my iPad to always be online, not only occasionally.

I use both devices at the same time as well, so both always on and with ample battery is important to me.

kane1985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
I like having a fallback. If you only tether and have an iPhone hardware failure .... kaboom. AA

So am I right in saying that apple let me tether from my 3GS to my ipad2, only charging me for tethering from my provider O2??
Thanks

kane1985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So are you guys and gals all saying I can teather my 3GS to my ipad2 by only paying my tethering charge from O2 ???

OP
Tazz229

Tazz229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kane1985 said:
So am I right in saying that apple let me tether from my 3GS to my ipad2, only charging me for tethering from my provider O2??
Thanks

Yup

OP
Tazz229

Tazz229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kane1985 said:
So are you guys and gals all saying I can teather my 3GS to my ipad2 by only paying my tethering charge from O2 ???

As long as you have personal hotspot simply turn it on pick a password and your phone becomes your wireless hotspot for ya iPad... Simples!! I've done it with both voda and orange and there's no extra charge your just using your phone data that's all!

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had a wifi only iPad 2 and sold it for a 3G. I want to device to be online all the time and self contained. I don't want to have to use another device to use the first device to its full capacity. As soon as apple comes out with a 3G (hopefully 4G) MBA, I'll get that too.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This can be confusing, especially since the options in the US are somewhat different from those in Europe, at least in terms of cost. For the US'ers, the following holds.

() It's important to distinguish between a dedicated "mobile hotspot" device (about the size of a playing card and 1/4 inch thick) and hotspot functionality "built-in" to a smartphone. The former is a separate device with its own phone number and data plan, typically a 1-2 year contract that cannot be turned off/on on a monthly basis. Mine is $50 for a 5 gig ceiling.

() A separate monthly "tethering" charge (about $20USD per month) from the carrier typically applies unless one uses a method to "root" or "jailbreak" one's phone, a practice that may violate one's contract with the carrier and lead to additional charges. However, the tethering charge may increase the download ceiling for your smartphone data plan. (Depends on carrier.)

() Some of the newest smartphones (Android) enable tethering at 4G speeds. Typically, this is much faster than the 3G speeds available with iPhones or 3G iPads. However, the speeds are somewhat slower (according to tests I've seen) than dedicated mobile hotspots in 4G coverage areas. (My dedicated mobile hotspot from Verizon typically gets download speeds 7 to 10 times greater than an equivalent 3G signal. According to some tests I've seen, tethered 4G speeds are about 30-50% less than the dedicated mobile hotspots but still much faster than 3G speeds.)

() Unlike the monthly cancellation/activation data plan available for the iPad, one typically pays for an extended data contract (1-2 years) for a smartphone or dedicated mobile hotspot. That's irrelevant, of course, if one already pays for a long-term data plan on a phone or a dedicated mobile hotspot.

() The battery drain on the phone/dedicated mobile hotspot is worth taking into consideration. My dedicated mobile hotspot from Verizon typically runs about 4-5 hours in 4G/LTE service areas and about an hour longer in 3G areas. That is considerably less than the iPad but it really doesn't matter to me since I'm seldom away from a power source for more than 4 hours.

() AFAIK, smartphones and dedicated mobile hotspots cannot provide the GPS functionality that is built into the iPad's 3G hardware. However, there are GPS receivers available for less than $100 that integrate with the iPad to provide even better GPS reception than the iPad. Since the price difference for a 3G iPad in the US is $130, the attached GPS receiver can be both more economical and provide better performance.

Last edited:

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am in Pakistan now a days and I am having wifi only iPad , as in pak we don't have service of 3G ..I am using a hot spot mobile device which cost me 70 us dollars and I got a package which is Un limited for a month and I pay 23 $ ....I can connect 5 devices at a time..I got iPod touch and iPad connected with it ..the hot spot works 4 hours at full charging ....thanks to Pakistan telecommunication :) but in Dubai data plan is very costly :(

Most reactions