What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are you not jailbreaking?

Why are you not jailbreaking?

• I am nervous about its complexity.

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Because it is against Apple's TOC and affects warranty.

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • I think it is immoral.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not know what are advantages after jailbreak.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • I have already jailbroken.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I am not interested in jail breaking

Votes: 24 28.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Our own statistics show that less than 1/8 of 1 percent of our users are using broken devices, and most of these are iphone users, not ipad users.

This aligns closly with the numbers I have heard within Apple as well.

It is entirely possible that our user base (across a dozen apps) contains fewer jail breakers than some other groups, but I would not expect this large a difference.

-t

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A good reason to jailbreak an iPhone is to be able to install an older release of iOS. The older iPhones (such as the 3G, 3GS) do not run iOS4 very well at all but to go back to iOS3 requires Jail Breaking.

In the future that may be a requirement for older iPads as well.

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
An android user I know has rooted (ie JBed) his phone so he can block Ads by changing the hosts file. That is all he has done it for.

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tend to agree that a lot of the JB possibilities seem to be cosmetic, and from what I read they can slow the UI down and in some cases knacker it completely. There is also the dark side which brings the opportunity to be a pirate to people who might well otherwise have never considered it....

I have read posts that tell of the irony that most useful JB tweaks end up in iOS updates which is why I will wait for iOS 5 and get those useful changes 'legitimately'.

I did apply the jailbreak, in order to get 'proper' USB disk support, but it turns out that because of the power rating I can't use the disk I wanted to. So, I am back to 4.3.3 stock firmware, and I will wait for iOS 5 instead to get my enhanced functionality (albeit without my USB disk....)

I agree with the 'if it ain't broke....' mentality. There was a time when, just because I could, I would hack everything I owned. There was a sense of achievement, I guess, but I think I outgrew that phase. I'm not saying that JB-ing is childish, just that I don't feel the need to do it for the sake of it anymore. I have seen a lot of passionate comments how 'apple aren't going to tell ME how I can use my device' but in that case why buy it?

iWant my iCloud

Confucious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
There are getting less reasons to JB and every time I restore I try it without a JB but miss my tweaks an end up JBing again.

95% of problems with JailBroken devices are caused by 'dodgy' repos - if you stick to the defailt repos there are very few problems and those that are found are fixed very quickly.

If people do use 'dodgy' things then they deserve what they get and don't get support fromthe mainstream Jailbreakers who do not condone piracy at all.

There are plenty of people who JB and enjoy stable devices with many added Tweaks.

But for many people, if you've never had it you won't miss it and are very happy with their stock devices.

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Confucious said:
There are getting less reasons to JB and every time I restore I try it without a JB but miss my tweaks an end up JBing again.

95% of problems with JailBroken devices are caused by 'dodgy' repos - if you stick to the defailt repos there are very few problems and those that are found are fixed very quickly.

If people do use 'dodgy' things then they deserve what they get and don't get support fromthe mainstream Jailbreakers who do not condone piracy at all.

There are plenty of people who JB and enjoy stable devices with many added Tweaks.

But for many people, if you've never had it you won't miss it and are very happy with their stock devices.

I know what you mean. Each time I restore I am fine for a few weeks until a new tweak comes out that I just *have* to try. Then inevitably after a couple of days I ending up doing another restore....

iWant my iCloud

Last edited:

Svrdhd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My reason for not JB would be the complexity of it. It gets a bit overwhelming after you've installed a few handfuls of tweaks and miscellaneous apps, you begin to lose track of what is installed/downloaded/disabled.

Also, I have experienced some performance issues. Safari crashes way too often to be overlooked :/

A reason for JB, in many cases, is the level of personalization that would be impossible for a non-JB.

After all, it's a personal choice, use your hardware the way that you get the most out of it!

Confucious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
I Don't think I've ever had safari crash on me or any problems, but I dont install too many tweeks, just the ones from the default repos and a few which I test for friends but, apart from beta testing, I've never had a problem!

troytempest

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Jailbroken my iPad 2 and I have no problems with anything after the update via Cydia that fixed the problem with the Camera Connection Kit. There is a ton of cosmetic software available after jailbreaking that is of no interest to me but iFile is invaluable. I missed it so much that only now can I pass on my iPad 1 to the kids.

Killman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am fine with it the way it is. There is no point in JBing something that already provides so much, in my opinion at least. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts