What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Apple should end it's fight against jailbreakers

dkazaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are jailbreaking for theft of services (i.e. being able to tether without paying additional carrier fees or installing apps that you didn't pay for) I can see where the carrier would get upset and require the phone vendor to make sure you cannot do this.

Theft of services? That's totally wrong! People pay for a service and it's insane to think that Apple or AT&T or whoever can tell them how they are supposed to use the data service they pay for. It's ten times more insane to believe that this is theft!

At best its interference with a corporate business model.

And as any market strategist worth his salt will tell you, business models that depend on restricting customer behaviour and usage are swiftly doomed to failure. If you want to make money you need to offer some value. If the customer finds ways of extracting extra value from your service, maybe you should consider charging more for it. Trying to stop the customer doing it is a quick ticket to nowhere. I worked in telecom strategy for many years and saw this a lot!

BTW - the whole notion of "I own the device, I should be able to do what I want with it" probably doesn't hold up legally.

On which planet? Even in China, if you own the device you can do whatever you want to it. You can hack it, take it apart, burn it, reverse engineer it... What you can't do, is do some of those things commercially like, reverse engineer the A4 SOC and sell clones of it. If you reverse engineer for the fun of it only it IS legal.

In IT, there are lots of instances where you buy hardware and pay for features to be enabled. Our sysadmin was just telling me the other day that we have a fiber-optic switch. We can plug things into the switch, but to turn the port on, we have to pay for the license to do so. This kind of thing happens quite a bit in Enterprise IT systems, but consumers are much less tolerant of these kinds of pricing schemes.

1) Corporate IT is governed by corporate contracts which are custom and completely different (and differently regulated) than retail sales contracts.

2)Even so the particulars of each contract can only restrict you so much. E.g. if you own this switch and there is an alternative way to activate the switch without violating the IP of the vendor that could be legal (depends on contract terms). Its just that you are very unlikely to find a way to do that.

In the case of a retail purchase and if no violation of apple's IP has occurred, there is nothing illegal inappropriate or immoral about you jailbreaking your device. Even if a breach of IP occurred, the guilty party is the one who reverse engineered the code, not the one who used it.

Corporations are trying to re-write the laws by re-educating consumers to accept a lot of unacceptable &#~! It's better to learn to protect our rights!

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The way I see it is this. I BOUGHT it. It is MINE and no longer Apples.

So....I will do as I please with it and if Apple does not like it then they can shove it where the sun does not shine.

:D

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The way I see it is this. I BOUGHT it. It is MINE and no longer Apples.

So....I will do as I please with it and if Apple does not like it then they can shove it where the sun does not shine.

:D

Exactly....now a phone on subsidy is a little different.

You don't actually own your iPhone for about 6 months....AT&T does and has a right to disable it or require it returned at any time in that period that you are reimbursing them on the subsidy.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly....now a phone on subsidy is a little different.

You don't actually own your iPhone for about 6 months....AT&T does and has a right to disable it or require it returned at any time in that period that you are reimbursing them on the subsidy.
WTF? How about a citation for that?

My contract says AT&T's recourse is ETF, not any kind of "repossession." I didn't buy the iPhone with a secured loan.

The only thing I have heard is if you cancel within 30 days, but that is because you don't pay the ETF, only restocking fee.

Michael

wingnut1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with the others, though I imagine everyone is. While my iPad is not jailbroken, and probably never will be, I do believe that everyone should have the right to do with their device as they please.

I agree. I mean if you sell a product from your store to a customer, would you really care what they did to it? If they void the warranty by altering the product, that's really their own business.

MobileSpoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.mobilespoon.net
Jailbroken iPhones/iPads are simply much better than locked ones

I'm not a fan of jailbreaking stuff.
But thanks to that, I had multi-tasking last year working nicely on my iPhone...

Apple will lose some of the customers to the Android if they do something evil to the jailbroken phones.

Most reactions

Latest posts