What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why All The Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If for no other reason than this Exploding Droid phone blamed for ear injury- NBCActionNews.com ? Kansas City, I think I would stay with Apple products. BTW, one of the latest news reports is that HTC phones are having the same reception issues as the iPhone 4.

Really? You would choose Apple because of a completely isolated incident that was self inflicted by the user?

No, he would choose Apple because he is a biased fanboy. The isolated incident is just fuel for his Apple love fire.

BTW:

IPhone 3GS Handsets Overheat, Turn Brown | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Allegedly: Apple tries to put gag order on man over exploded iPod touch

Apple Downplays Fiery iPod Incidents - Money News Story - KIRO Seattle

Exploding iPhone injures French teen ? The Register

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If for no other reason than this Exploding Droid phone blamed for ear injury- NBCActionNews.com ? Kansas City, I think I would stay with Apple products. BTW, one of the latest news reports is that HTC phones are having the same reception issues as the iPhone 4.

Really? You would choose Apple because of a completely isolated incident that was self inflicted by the user?

No, he would choose Apple because he is a biased fanboy. The isolated incident is just fuel for his Apple love fire.

BTW:

IPhone 3GS Handsets Overheat, Turn Brown | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Allegedly: Apple tries to put gag order on man over exploded iPod touch

Apple Downplays Fiery iPod Incidents - Money News Story - KIRO Seattle

Exploding iPhone injures French teen ? The Register

hi , why if you hate so much Apple did you buy Apple device, the market is free, why not buy the one you think is more suitable for you …. as in your eyes when we like Apple products we are fan boy

By the way if you know a brand have products never have any problem you are welcome to disclose the name …

PS: you don’t feel strange only in south for France have Apple screen explode ?? in you eyes Apple have choose where to send the defective device ??

Last edited:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you like Apple you are a FanBoy

Hi since you say this you will found hundred of guy will call you FanBoy … it’s why many time i let the hater talk and keep silence , as we have nothing to discuss with this kind of Troll ….

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I am a satisfied HTC Touch 3G user (yes Windows Mobile). Full access to the file system, unfettered access to apps etc.

My experience of the "Walled Garden" of the iPad will be something that I take into consideration when the time comes replace it. I expect to be choosing between Windows Mobile, iPhone and Android.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But why did we buy the iPad?

Because at the time it had the best implemented Touch Interface and I'm not sure it has yet been surpassed. It made web browsing come alive...

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi , why if you hate so much Apple did you buy Apple device, the market is free, why not buy the one you think is more suitable for you …. as in your eyes when we like Apple products we are fan boy

I bought the iPad because at the time it had a monopoly, and still kinda does. Once 2011 comes though, look out Android tablets are going to cut into Apple's market share big time. I'll be one of the first to get rid of my iPad as soon as a good all around Android tablet comes out in early 2011.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But why did we buy the iPad?

Because at the time it had the best implemented Touch Interface and I'm not sure it has yet been surpassed. It made web browsing come alive...

Hi Yvan as we are (i mean you &Me) early adopter, our experience is interesting to compare … for me by example i use it more for work from the day i get my 3G i never took with me my Mac when i have trip less than 3 days, but in same time i also use it every day for read book, magazine and Cartoon … web surfing for me is less than 15% of the usage except for manage some of my web site or professional reason …

currently i didn’t see any better tablet than the iPad, i have tested the Galaxy tab the user experience is absolutely not the same and really far from the iPad , the size is interesting for some use but the software library is really poor and the OS is not smooth as the iOs … i also have a Archos 9'' witch i don’t know what to do with this crap’s , have many other exist but as i don’t test it i can only their sale volume let us know how good they are

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I bought the iPad because at the time it had a monopoly, and still kinda does. Once 2011 comes though, look out Android tablets are going to cut into Apple's market share big time. I'll be one of the first to get rid of my iPad as soon as a good all around Android tablet comes out in early 2011.

I am not sure as you the Android tablet will cut the share of the Apple market … currently we have also a Galaxy Tab , the size is interesting but the OS can’t be compare with iOs … i will give you an example no one of the 3 french network operator want to promote the G Tab , but in same time all run for get the iPad .. all they say the same: after we have test it we realize our customer will not be happy and the sales volume will not be enough for recover the promotion investment.

Apple don’t have the market monopoly is just the competitor don’t propose better device, they try but we know the result …

I admit the closed system is frustrating but in same time the device is stable and excellent to use, and honestly i can live with this small restriction compare to the satisfaction i have, this device worth every cents i have and i will spend in

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agreed Ivan. I've win7 and OSX machines, laptop, iPhones and iPods but the best web browsing experience is lying back on the sofa or in bed with the iPad. I just works. No noise no fuss and instant on off.

In my book the restrictions are just to piss complainers off and I trust they got their moneys worth.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I am not sure as you the Android tablet will cut the share of the Apple market … currently we have also a Galaxy Tab , the size is interesting but the OS can’t be compare with iOs … i will give you an example no one of the 3 french network operator want to promote the G Tab , but in same time all run for get the iPad .. all they say the same: after we have test it we realize our customer will not be happy and the sales volume will not be enough for recover the promotion investment.

Apple don’t have the market monopoly is just the competitor don’t propose better device, they try but we know the result …

I admit the closed system is frustrating but in same time the device is stable and excellent to use, and honestly i can live with this small restriction compare to the satisfaction i have, this device worth every cents i have and i will spend in

I agree, right now the Android tablet competition for the iPad is weak AT BEST. But, watch carefully over the next few months, we will be getting many new highly optimized Android based tablets, and even an upgrade from Google to an Android version that natively supports tablets, so the user experience is going to get much better.

I understand your frustration with the Galaxy Tab and Archos products, I've tried both the Galaxy and the Archos 101, and while the Archos 101 is superior to the Galaxy Tab, the screen is terrible. High quality Android tablets are on their way, and once they come, Apple needs to be concerned.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my book the restrictions are just to piss complainers off and I trust they got their moneys worth.

I think a lot of the restrictions are because Apple is trying to have the most mass appeal. While I look at the upcoming Android tablets and I drool over the thought of an HDMI output port, exandable memory slots, and fully functional USB ports, the majority of people won't even use that stuff. Apple has the formula for what most people want a device like this to do, and it's working well.

In general, most people want a simple to use device that is going to work 100% of the time without hiccups. The closed (restricted) nature of the iPad and iOS makes it pretty easy to reach that goal.

Most people are happy with what the iPad has to offer, although I still think lack of Flash is a big deal, because that means that when mom wants to go shopping for a new car, and she goes to Honda.com (or virtually any other car manufacturer website) she is going to be greeted with a message saying she needs Flash Player. While this isn't an everyday thing, I think that's the one big thing that Mr. Jobs needs to bury the hatchet and support at least limited Flash support for sites.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a lot of the restrictions are because Apple is trying to have the most mass appeal. While I look at the upcoming Android tablets and I drool over the thought of an HDMI output port, exandable memory slots, and fully functional USB ports, the majority of people won't even use that stuff. Apple has the formula for what most people want a device like this to do, and it's working well.
Well, if you take a better look at Apple TV, it's almost that. In conjunction with Apple remote and Airwhatchamaccallit, you'll be able to view some content on a high def TV...when they get it right, that is...:p

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you are saying that you would stream from your iPad to the Apple TV and then it would play on your TV? I can imagine some people would find that useful, but I've already got a networked HTPC for that purpose. My big use would be to connect to the TV at my work and the projectors in our classrooms. Or to connect at someone else's house. If I wanted to do that with the iPad I would have to carry the Apple TV along with me, very inconvenient.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you are saying that you would stream from your iPad to the Apple TV and then it would play on your TV? I can imagine some people would find that useful, but I've already got a networked HTPC for that purpose. My big use would be to connect to the TV at my work and the projectors in our classrooms. Or to connect at someone else's house. If I wanted to do that with the iPad I would have to carry the Apple TV along with me, very inconvenient.

Yeah, you're right. You'd have to bring your wifi network with you also...
Pretty inconvenient!

How about a portable projector like the Casio A245-U? It's just a little bigger than the iPad and works a presentation from a thumb drive...

bastones

iPF Noob
Reaction score

In general, most people want a simple to use device that is going to work 100% of the time without hiccups. The closed (restricted) nature of the iPad and iOS makes it pretty easy to reach that goal.

Most people are happy with what the iPad has to offer, although I still think lack of Flash is a big deal, because that means that when mom wants to go shopping for a new car, and she goes to Honda.com (or virtually any other car manufacturer website) she is going to be greeted with a message saying she needs Flash Player. While this isn't an everyday thing, I think that's the one big thing that Mr. Jobs needs to bury the hatchet and support at least limited Flash support for sites.

I agree. I can understand why some people complain about the closed nature of iOS and the App Store but in the end Apple just wants to make sure the end user gets the best experience with their iPad hence the curated App Store and closed iOS platform. If the App Store was open and apps were not reviewed before being on the App Store, you can see things could be much messier for apps that don't work properly and some apps, like what is technically possible on the Google Android Marketplace; apps that do stuff that they shouldn't be doing. I can see where people become overwhelmed and annoyed at Apple's restrictions - and certainly, certain decisions by Apple have been bad ones and they've corrected it when they realise they were in the wrong - like an app that defamed political figures; Apple employees have to stick by the rules and had to reject the app - but Apple later realised they did not cover that area which is fine and subsequently modified their terms for exception of political figures. Same is with an app that did WiFi syncing; I don't think Apple wants a developer to control WiFi syncing when its the concern of data and the syncing to the iTunes software; so this is why Apple probably rejected the app when some developer submitted it for approval. Jobs has stated at an interview at AllThingsD that "we're working on it" (referring to WiFi syncing) so it's probably going to come in the forseeable future.

In regards to Flash I have to agree with what you said about accessing the Honda website as an example and finding out that the iPad can't view the important Flash content on that website. But again, I can understand why Apple doesn't have it on it's platform (and I'm not going to repeat and go into "why" - we all know Apple's case on the exclusion of Flash from it's platform). Sure, there can be some viable options to get Flash on it's platform; but I dont think Jobs would allow a half baked solution; Apple perfects everything down to the simplest thing and if Flash causes complications to the user experience, we know fair well Apple ain't going to have it on iOS. The exclusion of Flash is a limitation, sure, but you can say the availability of video content in native HTML5 format on many websites has certainly improved recently since the iPad can and is used to surf the web like on a computer. But like with the Honda website, it's certainly an annoying limitation of the iPad, though. You can say it's a compromise and Apple probably realises this.

Someone has probably got a counter-argument to all I have said above and may think I'm a "fanboy" that believes whatever Apple says; but honestly, don't take it all too seriously. What Apple is doing works for most people that use their iPad (as the quoted post a user says above) and a lot of people are satisfied with their iPad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts