What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's getting an iPad Air?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Air is a bit redundant of the 4. It's only slightly faster with the A7 and M7 on-board, but overall it's not something that blows everything out of the waters like the keynote shown.

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am disappointed you can't pre-order/reserve one till Nov 1st and that is for shipment to you,not store pick-up. Guess we will be standing in line Nov 2nd with the rest of the world. If i have it sent to me, I have to pay 8% sales tax or go to Delaware and pay no sales tax- for a 64 gig wifi, worth the hour drive- the christiana mall has a nice food court just around the corner from the apple store- Hubby and I will take turns in line. i will call the store just before we leave to make sure they have them in stock.
my iPad first generation is so much slower than hubby's 4 and I can't update apps without IOS 6 or better

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
had been planning all year to get one, but I decided to use the money to buy some iPad minis to use with my students at the start of this semester.

Hopefully, I can afford one once I see what my tax refund looks like. The storage capacity on my iPad 2 (32GB) has been so limiting I've had to offload documents onto a couple of my iPad minis.

My dream is to buy the WiFi + cellular iPad Air 128GB.

Hi Asharp - some good points - thanks! :) I've definitely decided to get the iPad Air, but probably will not make a purchase until after the holiday season (i.e. in January or later) - why? Well, no big hurry to upgrade + there are a LOT of hardware changes made in this new offering, I prefer to make sure that everything is working well (or is updated)?

Now as to storage capacity? Initially I was thinking of my current iPad 2 w/ 32 GB - still have nearly half of that storage, BUT I'm keeping my MP3 music on an old iPod (2G) - WELL, I might just go to the 64 GB iPad Air and put my music on it, thus just requiring me to carry one iDevice on 'the road' - I have Bluetooth travel speakers, so makes no difference which device plays my music.

Just putting out my thoughts for others to consider making these decisions - i.e. upgrade my new iPad w/ 64 GB and not get a new iPod for my music - seems simple to me at the moment, but who knows in these decisions? Dave

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm definitely getting one. I bought the original iPad about a year after it came out and passed it down to my son when I updated to the iPad 3 in March 2012. I'm going to have to wait a bit since we drained all of our savings repairing our home after Hurricane Sandy and naturally our insurance didn't pay out enough on the damage. Either way, i was very impressed by the iPad Air and can't wait to get my grubby little hands on one!;)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Me. Me. Me! :)

Can't wait. I have an iPad 3 and it's fine - but it's not "new and improved"! :D

Seriously though, I like the idea of the thinner and lighter (!) iPad. Although I don't take it out of the house, much, I appreciate the fact that it will be easier when I do.

I intend on getting the 64GB WiFi-only space gray/black one as I have a tethering plan with my carrier.

C'mon November 1st! :)

Marilyn

Who just wishes there was a way to justify, to herself, the need to two iPads - so she can get the retina Mini, also. Man, that little thing looks schweet...!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Me. Me. Me! :) Can't wait. I have an iPad 3 and it's fine - but it's not "new and improved"! :D Seriously though, I like the idea of the thinner and lighter (!) iPad. Although I don't take it out of the house, much, I appreciate the fact that it will be easier when I do. I intend on getting the 64GB WiFi-only space gray/black one as I have a tethering plan with my carrier. C'mon November 1st! :) Marilyn Who just wishes there was a way to justify, to herself, the need to two iPads - so she can get the retina Mini, also. Man, that little thing looks schweet...!

I'm going to be selling my iPad 3nd gen, my mini, and my nexus 10. I will replace though with a 128 GB iPad mini with retina. My other tab will be the nexus 7 2013. Going light!

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I'm in. Currently have iPad 3 (retina) that I do most of my 'computing' on and a Mini that travels with me. iPad Air will replace the 3, no plans to replace the Mini with retina just yet. iPad 3 is my last 30-pin connected device - be nice to get everything onto lightning connector...

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Me. Me. Me! :)

Can't wait. I have an iPad 3 and it's fine - but it's not "new and improved"! :D

Seriously though, I like the idea of the thinner and lighter (!) iPad. Although I don't take it out of the house, much, I appreciate the fact that it will be easier when I do.

I intend on getting the 64GB WiFi-only space gray/black one as I have a tethering plan with my carrier.

C'mon November 1st! :)

Marilyn

Who just wishes there was a way to justify, to herself, the need to two iPads - so she can get the retina Mini, also. Man, that little thing looks schweet...!

It's good for your mental health...........all the justification you need. :thumbs:
Hummmmmm..........how much you think I can get for my 64GB iPad4?

I work to live......not live to work.

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3 (was that dubbed the "New iPad?" I don't remember). I skipped the iPad 4 but I'll be hitting the refresh key on the apple store site come Nov 1. I think I'm going to go whole hog: WiFi, LTE, 128gb. The upgrade from 64 to 128 is the same $100 as the upgrade from 16-32, right?

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I received the 4 on the first day it came out upgrading from the 1st generation. I won't upgrade again till I see some significant improvements over my current model. I don't understand why after five generations of product we still see the same battery life at 10 hours a day, the same as the original and that's just for starters.

☮♥

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm going to be selling my iPad 3nd gen, my mini, and my nexus 10. I will replace though with a 128 GB iPad mini with retina. My other tab will be the nexus 7 2013. Going light!

Boy, that raises another 'recylcing' discussion, i.e. how to dispose of an old iPad (maybe even worth a thread by itself)? If I get the iPad Air and having an old iPad 2, what to do w/ the 'ancient' device? Options are: 1) Keep and let my wife read books & mags (the latter is more difficult for her on the iPad Mini); 2) Give to a relative; 3) Sell in some way; or 4) Just donate to a charity, such as Goodwill - so many choices.

Now in considering those last 3 choices, the issue then becomes how to 'reset' the iPad back to 'factory settings' - don't want to just give it away w/ all of the apps, data, books, etc. - SO, how to prepare an older iPad for disposal to someone else regardless the the options mentioned?

I'm sure this a consideration for many (and I don't feel that hijacking is an issue here), so do we need a new thread about this topic or is a discussion here appropriate?

Dave :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I received the 4 on the first day it came out upgrading from the 1st generation. I won't upgrade again till I see some significant improvements over my current model. I don't understand why after five generations of product we still see the same battery life at 10 hours a day, the same as the original and that's just for starters…...

Hi MadChef - not sure that owning an iPad 4, that there is a need for you to upgrade (I would not - but have an iPad 2 so my consideration is different); however, the issue you raise concerning 'battery life' is a rather trivial decision in considering an upgrade for us multiple model levels behind - battery technology is really complex and don't expect some 'evolutionary' changes - electric cars as a common option don't exist because of this battery dilemna - SO, for those considering an upgrade to a newer iPad, the battery life will be about the same, if that is a concern? Dave :)

rle737ng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 4 with 64GB and cellular. I will be getting the Air on 1 Nov. I travel a lot and live on my iPad on the road. Anything that speeds up processing or data transfer is welcome.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 3 which will go to my husband and his Ipad one as well as mine (which is used primarily to stream radio, music to BT speakers or Apple TV and was bought first week it came out) will be retired. I'll buy an LTE again--I use mine quite a bit away from wifi and like the flexibility. I'll do the non-contract Verizon again as its easy to add or roll over plus our phone contract is still grandfathered unlimited data and we like it for streaming radio or music BT while we travel by car.

I'm debating about 64 or 128. The 64 has been adequate but I'm a photographer (and also push the Ipad quite a bit) and have to keep 'cleaning' it up--use Dropbox, Icloud but have to be diligent to keep only processed photos so 128 would give me some headroom.

The Ipad Air is what I've been hoping for---substantially thinner, lighter, better processor so I'm quite happy with what's been shown. Since I'm one who really likes IOS7 the whole package is great.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts