What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the Future Direction? Android or Apple?

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ian russell said:
I can remember when you had a home computer and bought your software on music cassettes! The cassette had more memory than the computer. We thought we'd really arrived! :D

And people moan about iPad2....

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Lol speccy 48k...... Used to live next to a computer store, pretty much lived there lol

I remember having to set the volume just right or it didn't work!

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We see it right now as iOS versus Android at the moment but The eventual leading tablet OS may not even be known to us yet.

Don't write off Micosoft, they started way behind with Windows and didn't even come close until Windows 3.x. I think that they will need to start from scratch (like iOS and Android) and build up a new OS rather than attempt to trim down a bloated PC OS.

I also think tha tablets will merge/morph with netbooks to push PCs aside for personal use, with the lighter OS.

I do think that iOS will follow the Mac and, after breaking new ground, become a niche player in the space that it helped establish.

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HedgeHogLuvva said:
Lol speccy 48k...... Used to live next to a computer store, pretty much lived there lol

I remember having to set the volume just right or it didn't work!

That's it. Didn't even have a camera, front or back. You had to draw a picture and send it in the post.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will us that win because we will have more to choose from apple and android and in the end it will be better for us

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Harley man said:
It will us that win because we will have more to choose from apple and android and in the end it will be better for us

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Hopefully it will drive down prices too

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Android are already gaining market share. With so many tablets supporting the os though I think it is confusing customers. I love choice but this is crazy, not only are there so many devices but also different variations of the os. If they carry on like this, who knows, chances are Microsoft will win out. Everyone is trying to kill Apple, they should be watching their own backs rather than just focussing on "one common enemy".

Sent from my beloved iPad 2 using iPF...... All For One And One For All.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Android are already gaining market share. With so many tablets supporting the os though I think it is confusing customers. I love choice but this is crazy, not only are there so many devices but also different variations of the os. If they carry on like this, who knows, chances are Microsoft will win out. Everyone is trying to kill Apple, they should be watching their own backs rather than just focussing on "one common enemy".

Yes because having options is such a bad thing, I guess everyone should be more like apple:p

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I've read an article a few weeks ago about the fragmentation of the android market. Just can't find the link to it but here's an overview:

The major problem with Android is that each OEM is customizing the used android version for it's need. Thus, comparing Samsung with HTC for example is quite difficult because they do not use the same blend of Android. It was said that eventually, Android biggest competitor will be itself and not Apple. Samsung seems to take the lead for now, but that can change in less than a year...

Each manufacturer is providing his own experience, his own market in some cases, his own look and feel, etc... So basically, it's Android, but not the same... It's like Linux distributions where you cannot really compare Ubuntu, Fedora and Slackware. They are all Linux based, but each has his own flavor. In a year or two, people will get a Samsung and not Android device. It has already started with tablets where reviewers are comparing by manufacturers and not by OS type.

Currently, everybody is calculating market share based on iOS vs Android. But it would be more accurate to calculate Apple vs Samsung vs HP vs NameYourDevice...

Apple is selling user experience and the Android market is selling hardware features. Eventually, Android market will understand that people are more attracted by experience than CPU power, ram, and USB port. Have a look at YouTube where you can find ads about each device. Android is still selling geek talk. But Samsung has started shifting to the Apple's marketing ways.

My mom really does not understand technical stuff, but she does understand watching a movie on the go, doing videoconferencing with her grand child, playing words game, how easy it is to use, great look, and the price... Currently, android products are on par with Apple for prices beside one or two exceptions. Non-geeks are tired of having to learn how to configure, protect, manage their computers. They just want stuff to work, thats it!

I am a professional computer consultant, and younger I was thrilled by the mighty power of Linux where you can customize about anything... Then I got older, and started considering my time spent at managing a computer... With kids, family, work, i just want stuff to work without having to go the extra mile. My time is worth more than my geek pride :). Still using Ubuntu, because they made it easy... But since I discovered the iPhone, then the iPad, I am considering getting a Mac for my next computer because with the iOS devices, the machine is doing the extra mile for me...

Android devices will have to do that extra mile to get me. They are great devices, but Apple has spoiled me. And surely if I jump the ship, it won't be because of Android, but because the manufacturer/OEM will have created a device so cool, so easy that it's gonna be attractive, android based or not...

My 2 cents!

VicoPad addict!

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think android has Great potential as software, it give users a lot more control over their device; customizable to how the user likes it. But this also increases vulnerability. And because android has many different manufacturers for the tablets, there will be many variations of the performance of android based on hardware specs. Although it may seem disadvantageous for apple to be the only manufacturer for the iPad, it actually gives a simple black and white description of what the iPad has to offer. If it doesn't fit the user's standards then they can move on to android tablets, while if it does everything The user needs it to do, there is no need for decision making on which specs to get. Also iOS is more stable as a firmware. It's a lot slower at progressing (like adding features that shouldve been there from the beginning), but more stable because of it.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think windows 8 might have a future if they play it right. I am also betting on Amazon and their incoming tablet. They seemed to have designed their kindle very well. If they can reproduce such solid customer experience with their tablet and reduce android fragmentation by having amazon optimized apps then they could be the 3rd potential big player.

eddy20

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple in my opinion has the market cornered at the moment and while others try to catch up they will continually be improving, and they have better apps and it's so easy to use. I do think the mass market will prefer cheaper tablets in the long run though when they become better equipped as we've seen with laptops, apple products do tend to be the higher end of the pricing. So apple at the moment but if competitors get half decent alternatives for a lot cheaper then they could be in for some competition, iPad all the way for me though.

chelseaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
I've read an article a few weeks ago about the fragmentation of the android market. Just can't find the link to it but here's an overview:

The major problem with Android is that each OEM is customizing the used android version for it's need. Thus, comparing Samsung with HTC for example is quite difficult because they do not use the same blend of Android. It was said that eventually, Android biggest competitor will be itself and not Apple. Samsung seems to take the lead for now, but that can change in less than a year...

Each manufacturer is providing his own experience, his own market in some cases, his own look and feel, etc... So basically, it's Android, but not the same... It's like Linux distributions where you cannot really compare Ubuntu, Fedora and Slackware. They are all Linux based, but each has his own flavor. In a year or two, people will get a Samsung and not Android device. It has already started with tablets where reviewers are comparing by manufacturers and not by OS type.

Currently, everybody is calculating market share based on iOS vs Android. But it would be more accurate to calculate Apple vs Samsung vs HP vs NameYourDevice...

Apple is selling user experience and the Android market is selling hardware features. Eventually, Android market will understand that people are more attracted by experience than CPU power, ram, and USB port. Have a look at YouTube where you can find ads about each device. Android is still selling geek talk. But Samsung has started shifting to the Apple's marketing ways.

My mom really does not understand technical stuff, but she does understand watching a movie on the go, doing videoconferencing with her grand child, playing words game, how easy it is to use, great look, and the price... Currently, android products are on par with Apple for prices beside one or two exceptions. Non-geeks are tired of having to learn how to configure, protect, manage their computers. They just want stuff to work, thats it!

I am a professional computer consultant, and younger I was thrilled by the mighty power of Linux where you can customize about anything... Then I got older, and started considering my time spent at managing a computer... With kids, family, work, i just want stuff to work without having to go the extra mile. My time is worth more than my geek pride :). Still using Ubuntu, because they made it easy... But since I discovered the iPhone, then the iPad, I am considering getting a Mac for my next computer because with the iOS devices, the machine is doing the extra mile for me...

Android devices will have to do that extra mile to get me. They are great devices, but Apple has spoiled me. And surely if I jump the ship, it won't be because of Android, but because the manufacturer/OEM will have created a device so cool, so easy that it's gonna be attractive, android based or not...

My 2 cents!

VicoPad addict!

Great post,

Go for it with the mac you will love it.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great post. Echoed my sentiments exactly regarding Android, only more coherently.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree excellent post. Users just want it to work Mainstream users do not care about tweaking modifying or how much internal ram it has hence why Apple has got it right. It is also about cost of ownership regardless of platform. Resale values are high for Apple products when one upgrades due to the demand. I also agree the marketing approach by other companies is in many ways an issue. and frankly slows sales. Where I am employed one of our local stores that sells ipads and other tablets are finding out that ipads are sold out before they arrive in the store where others like Acer end up slow moving and end up having to be discounted to move them. In that store alone ipads out sell Acer tablets 20 to 1 Time will tell and it will be interesting to see how other manufactures promote their new products

eddy20

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it's definitely the ease of use that attracts most people, as above my mum only wants to read her books, surf the web etc not tweak every little thing. Great product and head and shoulders above the rest! I can't put my 2 down. And I agree with the others, great post, well done that man!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts