What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who wants their screen rotation button back?

Do you want the Screen Orientation button back?

• Yes, bring it back!

Votes: 224 74.9%
  • No, I like the mute button.

Votes: 64 21.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • There was an orientation button??

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the new rotation lock but seems pointless to have the hold to mute feature and the switch to mute....... Maybe it should be repurposed as an screen cleaner switch...:D

lol ... now there is a function worth upgrading for.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple did not personally consult me on any of the features of any of their products. I'm OK with that. For those that don't like the "re-purposed" switch under the volume control, you can always go back to iOS 3.2.2! I am sure there are versions floating around out there in cyber space somewhere.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what does that button control now?

Nothing on mine, supposed to Mute sound.
Dan

Then your switch is broken.

Folks, this was done to make iOS more standard. No other iOS device had that switch used for orientation lock. It is now used on the iPad just like is on the iPhone and iPod Touch. Works the same way, and developers can respond to it the same way. Never was "no sound at all" iirc it was primarily to silence events and on the iPhone, the ringer.

If you are getting sound when you shouldn't be sure to contact the developer, assuming the sound is unintentional (i.e., the developer would follow the mute switch but app has not been updated for 4.2 yet).

Forget about asking for it to be changed. Ain't gonna happen. Jobs said himself it is not gonna change and that it will not be user configurable.

I think this is a small issue to get worked up about. It's really not a big deal. Most of you complaining had to have gotten 4.2 yesterday at the earliest. You haven't even had time to get used to it yet.... how about waiting a few days?

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple did not personally consult me on any of the features of any of their products. I'm OK with that. For those that don't like the "re-purposed" switch under the volume control, you can always go back to iOS 3.2.2! I am sure there are versions floating around out there in cyber space somewhere.
Once Apple stops signing 3.2.2 they WON'T be able to go back. That I think is a bit unfair. Now granted you can say, well they shouldn't have updated. But they may not have known beforehand and they might have to restore for some other reason down the road and then--surprise--it won't install.

(Yes they could have saved their shsh blobs but if they are into the jailbreak scene they can prolly deal with the switch anyway--no doubt there will be a jailbreak app that turns it back into rotation lock.)

drosenth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't mind doing a "double-click swipe right lock orientation" at all. I think they offered a nice option. Personally I like a mute switch so I am sure at a glance I am muted when in a meeting. To each is own but I am fine with it.

DaveR

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Truth is if it had been a mute button and Apple changed it to a rotation lock there would be more complaints because "my iPhone uses that for a mute switch, WTF would you make it different on my iPad?"

They are going to get complaints either way. No win scenario for Apple.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what does that button control now?

Dan

Folks, this was done to make iOS more standard. No other iOS device had that switch used for orientation lock. It is now used on the iPad just like is on the iPhone and iPod Touch. Works the same way, and developers can respond to it the same way. Never was "no sound at all" iirc it was primarily to silence events and on the iPhone, the ringer.

If you are getting sound when you shouldn't be sure to contact the developer, assuming the sound is unintentional (i.e., the developer would follow the mute switch but app has not been updated for 4.2 yet).

Forget about asking for it to be changed. Ain't gonna happen. Jobs said himself it is not gonna change and that it will not be user configurable.

I think this is a small issue to get worked up about. It's really not a big deal. Most of you complaining had to have gotten 4.2 yesterday at the earliest. You haven't even had time to get used to it yet.... how about waiting a few days?

Michael

I dub thee Ipad preacher. *sigh*

It will be user configurable when the next jailbreak comes along.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dan

Michael

I dub thee Ipad preacher. *sigh*

It will be user configurable when the next jailbreak comes along.
Nice argument. Guess when you can't refute something with facts this is the next best thing. <shrug>

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although I want it back, I realize that it's not going to happen, so I'm leaning to accept it the way it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts