What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who wants their screen rotation button back?

Do you want the Screen Orientation button back?

• Yes, bring it back!

Votes: 224 74.9%
  • No, I like the mute button.

Votes: 64 21.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • There was an orientation button??

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's just that I have personally explained exactly what that button does several times in this thread, and a few other people have explained it as well. I'm sure if you look back just a page or two you will see that it's not a complete mute switch. It mutes system sounds like the keyboard, notifications, and other system sounds. That way you can listen to music or watch a movie without having to worry about an annoying beep interrupting you. Is it more useful than the orientation lock? That's for you to decide. But it's not like the orientation lock went away, it just got moved.

Thanks for the explanation. I still think that I'd rather have the orientation lock the way it was and would like to have the button customizable with a couple of different options. FWIW

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let's talk about silly, shall we? ;)

Taking an iPad back because it rotates at 45 degrees rather than 60 or 80 or 90 just seems silly.

Yes, I agree to a degree of silliness, however, there have been some posts from those who allegedly feel rather strongly about this.. to the point of hating their entire iPad supposedly. I personally find it hard to believe, but if someone is bothered by an ipad's premature orientation rotation, I wouldn't think it silly at all to take it back and exchange it for one that rotates at a (the proper) larger 45'ish+ degree angle.

What i do find silly is for someone to take the time to complain to those who can't do anything about it, and post that that they hate their iPad because of a switch's updated function or that it rotates sooner than they'd like.. Why not just take it back to the store.. or get it switched for an older OS that has the old switch function(while you still can).. or exchange the "defective" iPad for one that rotates closer to full rotation, while it is still under warranty.

Silly yes. Because some of the responses in this thread are just that. The solutions are available. Only a fool would just sit there, complain about it, and do nothing. That is, of course if it were an actual complaint. If a switch's function, or the set rotation angle, is creating that much grief, do something about it! I get what Superbike is saying about some of the ridiculous comments. Some, mind you. Most others have merit, and are legitimate opinions, and commentary. If my iPad rotated it's orientation sooner than 45 degrees, when I know others rotate at a larger angle, you bet I would share some of the frustration from those who say that the slightest twitch rotates the screen (which is simply hard to believe to be honest), but if it were that, you better believe I'd take my iPad to an Apple store for an exchange. I wouldn't find that silly at all. Id like to see just one video of one rotating as easily as some have described here though. Not saying that it couldn't happen, but if someone reading this actually has one that sensitive, do yourself (and the rest of us) a favor, and take to where you bought it or an Apple store and get one that rotates properly already. Otherwise, the belly aching is useless and only makes one sound like a trolling fanboy. There is no reason not to choose a solution, and I'm not suggesting even a jailbreak solution mind you, but legitimate solutions to the supposed problem that "consumes" a few selected commenters. What is silly is how long this thread is, and my post adding to it's length! :p

Last edited:

cpking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This silly thread...

for the record, I understand the difference between mute and volume. I also understand that the mute button only mutes non music/video sounds. Unlike my iPhone 3GS, the rocker lowers volume to nothing if held for 2 seconds on the iPad.

I think the issue lies in the fundamental use of the two devices. For me, the iPad has essentially replaced my laptop, making-in particular, gaming and movie watching-more portable. Whereas my phone is used as, well, a phone, and often an MP3 player. My phone leaves the house with me 100% of the time; my iPad perhaps 50%.

I VERY seldom watch a movie on my phone as it is so small-a novelty, nut hardly a core use of my phone. As the iPad is not a phone, the mute button is not as handy where as a screen lock is. By contrast, the mute button on the phone is essential when going out in the world.

I also understand I can double tap the home button, slide to the screen lock, etc., oh the iPad, but it was much faster to simply slide the switch.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm guessing the "when the iPad rotates" is somewhat dependent on the copy that you have. I tested my Mom's last week, which is much newer than mine, and it also rotates at about 45 degrees. Taking an iPad back because it rotates at 45 degrees rather than 60 or 80 or 90 just seems silly.

For sure silly! lol

And you are right... there differences in sensitivity--I saw that even between demo units in the same Apple store. But to call that a defect worthy of returning? Hardly.

Michael

Nabyrd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to this site and forums. My main reason for searching out ipad forums was to find out if there was any way to stop the annoying new rotation issue and i guess i found out no! Sorry for me it is annoying. I carry my ipad everywhere and if i lean theqrong it turns! Very annoying! Hope apple will listen and give us the option to freeze it!

Thanks for the great site and cant wait to read and connect!!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone actually, I don't know, maybe READ anymore??? If you are gonna post in a thread at least read some of it first.

This has been explained ad nauseam. I'm sure someone else will jump in though and explain it one (for now) more time....

Michael

Good one, Michael. I thought the same thing. Probably what? 200 posts ago? lol!

Wow, what a great response! You're right, I didn't read all 300+ posts before mine, so I may have missed something. Sorry if my post irritated the two of you (get a life). But just to make it clear I was only stating my opinion about the button. I wasn't asking either of you to offer an explanation for it and there was no need for the two of you to insult me.
Get a life? That was as ingenious as thinking lowering all volume is the same as the mute switch. BTW: I wrote to Sony, LG, et al and let them know it was stupid to have a mute switch on their remotes as we can just "hold the volume control down" which is easier. lol

Michael

Michael

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to this site and forums. My main reason for searching out ipad forums was to find out if there was any way to stop the annoying new rotation issue and i guess i found out no! Sorry for me it is annoying. I carry my ipad everywhere and if i lean theqrong it turns! Very annoying! Hope apple will listen and give us the option to freeze it!

Thanks for the great site and cant wait to read and connect!!

Ummmmmmmmm. :confused:

Double tap the home button.....swipe over to the far left menu.......tap rotation luck button.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW: I wrote to Sony, LG, et al and let them know it was stupid to have a mute switch on their remotes as we can just "hold the volume control down" which is easier. lol

Michael

Michael

Yeah, but then again if you told Sony and those other companies that this is labeled as mute switch and then described the function, they probably wouldn't understand it either ..lol.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW: I wrote to Sony, LG, et al and let them know it was stupid to have a mute switch on their remotes as we can just "hold the volume control down" which is easier. lol

Michael

Michael

Yeah, but then again if you told Sony and those other companies that this is labeled as mute switch and then described the function, they probably wouldn't understand it either ..lol.

True enough lol...

I did have a TV one time though that had volume controls that worked like the iPad's... holding down volume for a while caused it to mute. I hated that feature, and am not all that fond of it on iPad. I often want to go from full volume to, say, half... the fastest way to do that is to just hold volume down--which triggers a mute. Grrrr...

Fortunately there is now the volume slider in the app switcher so I just use that instead. :)

Michael

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, Apple actually letting its users have a choice about something?!!??

*runs outside*

OMG there is a flying pig crapping diamonds on my driveway!! It's true!

Hell has frozen over! This gives me hope that maybe the iPad 2 will have a more functional user interface.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I heard that Flash is coming in 4.4!!!!!

Hey after this it could happen.... :)

<ducking and running>

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts