What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who wants their screen rotation button back?

Do you want the Screen Orientation button back?

• Yes, bring it back!

Votes: 224 74.9%
  • No, I like the mute button.

Votes: 64 21.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • There was an orientation button??

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

emseesee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be nice if I could ASSIGN the function of an external button to one of several pre-defined capabilities.

Has anyone written a program to reverse this change?
Or does that have to come from Apple in an update?

Mike

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only way to get the function back is to jailbreak your iPad.

You can cross your fingers and hope Apple decides to change it back, but that might not happen. If you want something done NOW, jailbreak your iPad and download the app to change it back.

emseesee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ahhh, what a relief!
I found a solution on apples website.

It's not the same as a Hardware switch to prevent rotation of the screen.
It's a software setting.
Basically, you double click on the home button, it brings up the list of apps running.
You slide those off to the right, and see a control panel.
From left to right, there's a rotation lock toggle. There's a brightness control. Access to Reverse, Play, FForward, Volume, and Music Player.

Link below
visit: support.apple.com <slash> kb <slash> HT4085

But yes, I still want the hardware switch to go back to being rotation lock and not mute.
Mike

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, I thought you already knew about the software button.

Yeah, that's how you lock the screen now, just a simple double click, swipe, and tap.

emseesee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I appreaciate your speedy reply.
Jailbreaking my iPad sounds like a more involved process than I want to dig into.
(I apologize for not checking apple support before posting the question... sorry. I'm a newbie. Please don't flog me.)

nooris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way that one can block a particularity caustic and argumentative user?

"Why sointenly!"

Just go to your user control panel (User CP) tab at the top of the screen and select the option to Edit Ignore List

This will bring up a screen where you type in (or paste) the user's screen name that you wish to ignore.

Thanks a ton. I wish all bullies came with an ignore button. :)

iPadUser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would rather have them bring back the Orientation lock button, because I hardly EVER find myself needing to mute anything. The lock button seemed more practical, they have buttons on the side which you can just lower and up the sound. I don't mind it though, since I hardly ever used the button anyways:D.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would rather have them bring back the Orientation lock button .

But it hasn't gone any where. It's actually closer to your hand now.;)

Not for me. It was always up there in the left hand corner right where my left hand rested on my iPad. Now it is a double tap, swipe right, icon tap, single tap away. As soon as an untethered jailbreak is available it will be back there again where it belongs! :D

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would rather have them bring back the Orientation lock button .

But it hasn't gone any where. It's actually closer to your hand now.;)

Not for me. It was always up there in the left hand corner right where my left hand rested on my iPad. Now it is a double tap, swipe right, icon tap, single tap away. As soon as an untethered jailbreak is available it will be back there again where it belongs! :D

Are you sure you have an iPad and not an aPad? Mine is on the right hand corner....are you holding it upside down?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you sure you have an iPad and not an aPad? Mine is on the right hand corner....are you holding it upside down?

lol .. is there actually an "upside down" when it comes to the iPad? I prefer to use mine in landscape orientation with the home button to the right and the volume and "used to be lock, now some kind of mute" button on the top. That keeps the headphone jack away from my dog who is 90% of the time on my right side. Although, come to think of it, I must confess that unless traveling my iPad is naked without a case. When in the Apple case I suppose the orientation would be 180 degrees reversed. In that case I can see not only the lock switch but also the volume buttons being placed in completely the wrong position for practical use. Hard to believe Apple would have made such a silly design mistake. Too much Peyote for Steve I guess :)

Last edited:

irwaffles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I first updated I didn't think it'd be a big deal since that's how I do it on my phone, but my muscle memory is not adapting to this one bit! Not too drastic of a change but if I could I'd want it back to the old setup.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before you fall off that high purch, could I point out, we do not get to pick and choose what parts of the updates we as the poeple who paid all this money for something get to install or not, just because we wanted to update for other options does not mean everyone wanted "all" the changes that were inside that update!

If you wanted the update and the changes fine, but don't jump on people who did not want all of the update but needed some of the new features. Everyone on here can say what they want about the ipad being as they are the ones who spent the money to buy it, so if there is something they are not happy with then it is their God given right to complain about it, no matter who likes it or not, but stop telling us what we can and cannot complain about unless you would like to pay them all back the money they spent, then feel free to tell us all we have to love everything single thing abut the ipad!

Untill that happens, do not enter threads that you do not happen to agree with! simple as that, saves everyone a headache in the long run!

Who exactly was your post directed towards? Just clarifying, as it can be a bit confusing with the amount of responses here.

If it was meant to be towards me, much of what was said seems misdirected.

As a reminder, I'm in the 'don't really care' category, but I did want to point out to those who felt "forced" to doing the update with no access to what the update entailed, that is simply not the case. Our acceptance of the end user's agreement in downloading an update does not mean that we will be happy with the update, in part or in whole. I'm neither a proponent or opponent of the switches functionality, as my OP in this thread states. I don't use the switch hardly enough to care much either way. I do find it preposterous that some would use such extreme examples of emotion to describe their disgust of this change to the point of hating their entire iPad because of it. Of those who remain who truly don't like the switches function in version 4.2, simply can go to an Apple store and get that taken care of, as previously stated, if it really makes the difference between "loving the iPad to hating it" all over a switch! Yes that may be someone's pov on the matter, but go to the Apple store and have the iPad switched to the previous OS if it is really that bad. considering the member had only 2 posts on this forum at the time of making that proclamation, it's quite plausible that he/she was a troll, attempting to further polarize a warm debate. If not, then I personally wonder about how a switch can create such a swing in satisfaction. The function is still there. Had it been removed, or hard to enable, I could see a reason for pitchforks and torches, but I don't. Complaining, yes. That is everyone's God given right. There are much more important things to worry about on an iPad imo. Moving on! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions