What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who wants their screen rotation button back?

Do you want the Screen Orientation button back?

• Yes, bring it back!

Votes: 224 74.9%
  • No, I like the mute button.

Votes: 64 21.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • There was an orientation button??

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen rotates way to easily without being able to lock it in position.

Joe

Joe, I can lock mine in less than half a second.

I agree. I don't know a single person who thinks the lack of flash is a good idea though. How may webites can you not visit because its in flash? I love my Ipad but am so fed up with the surfing issues that I doubt I would ever buy another. The thread is about the rotation lock, which is still there in the place it should have been from the start. Just how lazy is someon that can't press 2 buttons instead of one for something most people are never going to want to do. Its FAR more annoying not having flash and no silly polls of a few hundred people are ever going to be indicative of how most owners feel. There are 40 million odd units sold and the poll reflects a miniscule portion of 1% of owners and indeed this thread even with this many replies is a tiny fraction of Ipad owners. I put it to you all that if most people felt angry about the removal of a stupid button, they would be complaining, and they are not, so poll or no poll the people who feel angry enough to complain is a tiny fraction. Good grief get a grip!

Last edited:

Rcairncross76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There should be an option to choose. I find it really irritating if I'm in bed and it keeps rotating. Also the mute switch would be useful if it muted all sound not just system sounds.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen rotates way to easily without being able to lock it in position.

Joe

I agree. I don't know a single person who thinks the lack of flash is a good idea though. How may webites can you not visit because its in flash? I love my Ipad but am so fed up with the surfing issues that I doubt I would ever buy another. The thread is about the rotation lock, which is still there in the place it should have been from the start. Just how lazy is someon that can't press 2 buttons instead of one for something most people are never going to want to do. Its FAR more annoying not having flash and no silly polls of a few hundred people are ever going to be indicative of how most owners feel. There are 40 million odd units sold and the poll reflects a miniscule portion of 1% of owners and indeed this thread even with this many replies is a tiny fraction of Ipad owners. I put it to you all that if most people felt angry about the removal of a stupid button, they would be complaining, and they are not, so poll or no poll the people who feel angry enough to complain is a tiny fraction. Good grief get a grip!

Actually there are quite a few people on here who think no Flash was a GREAT idea! I'm not one of them, but they are around.

40 million!!????!!?? Where are you getting your numbers from?!!? There has been nowhere near 40 million iPads sold.

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Actually there are quite a few people on here who think no Flash was a GREAT idea! I'm not one of them, but they are around.

40 million!!????!!?? Where are you getting your numbers from?!!? There has been nowhere near 40 million iPads sold.

It was meant to be 4.0 million but my play on the IOs seemed silly without the full stop. But the figure is actually 8 million sold or there abouts. Other than that I stand by what I said, and I repeat, most people want to be able to use safari to go ao any website they chose and have it display properly. Only a few noobies find it hard to use two moves to lock their screens. It's a simple fact and certainly all my collegues love the fact that now it operates the same as their Iphones, and may I say that they number considerably more than the few people who have either respnded to this thread or voted in the poll. Using your own logic and method, that's 100% of the people polled in my works poll wanted it just as IOs 4.1 left it on both the Iphone AND ipad. And that, about 900 people, is a poll worth considering!

joecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well thank goodness for that. Still liked the switch on the side better for this as I don't think the mute is all that useful. Others may have their own feelings but...

Sorry, not enough posts to add a link??
support.apple.com/kb/HT4085]iPad: Understanding screen rotation lock

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreak your iPad, and install nomute from cydia.

Jailbreak wins again.

cpking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the fact that a jailbreak can "fix" it just proves it's addressable. Stupid change regardless. To say that Apple wants to make all the devices consistent is absurd. The iPhone and the iPad are NOT the same device, regardless of the operating system. iPhones stink at watching movies (who really wants to watch a movie the size of a bar of soap?). Where as watching a movie on the iPad in bed, and suddenly having it spin because you moved an inch is silly.

Jimsong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bring the rotation hard switch back asap

Any one know how to use software to lock the screen? We bought the device and it shall be our choice. It is such an unpleasant feeling. I felt violated and insulted. Anyone in Apple can hear this? Can you guys help? Without locking the screen, I hardly can use my iPad. It is so annoying.

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the fact that a jailbreak can "fix" it just proves it's addressable. Stupid change regardless. To say that Apple wants to make all the devices consistent is absurd. The iPhone and the iPad are NOT the same device, regardless of the operating system. iPhones stink at watching movies (who really wants to watch a movie the size of a bar of soap?). Where as watching a movie on the iPad in bed, and suddenly having it spin because you moved an inch is silly.

I use the TV in the bedroom which is linked to our media centre so why would I want an iPad size screen when I can have something bigger. Any TV can watch anytyhing including recorded video on Foxtel and free to air. When I travel I watch movies on VLC on iPhone and iPad depending on what's about. I use VLC which means I don't phaff about converting and using wretched iTunes and I have never had it rotate when watching something. But perhaps some people can't manage the 2 step process to lock the screen. If that is the case, perhaps another device might be more suitable. In any event the iPad and iPhone on the same OS now operate the same way, and very sensible too. If you have trouble watching video then lock your screen via the 2 step process and let everyone else who likes the mute button to their own devices. I think some people just look for something to complain about. It is now a simple fact that there is a mute key, very sensible, and for those who can't manage to hold their device still, a lock process. I really don't see what all the kafuffel is about. And the iPad and iPhone are the same but for size. Mark my words, phone functionality will come to iPad. Saying they are different is really quite ridiculous and the only thing absurd is the fact that some can not grasp a fairly simple concept. I love the change and think it is about time that the two mobile devices were brought in line, it's just s shame the apps haven't kept up.

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any one know how to use software to lock the screen? We bought the device and it shall be our choice. It is such an unpleasant feeling. I felt violated and insulted. Anyone in Apple can hear this? Can you guys help? Without locking the screen, I hardly can use my iPad. It is so annoying.
Read this -- http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/14114-new-ipad-user-guide-includes-ios-4-2-1-features.html

OR...

Double tap the Home button which brings up the multi-tasking bar. Slide it to the right and you will see the screen orientation lock!

ipad63.jpg

Last edited:

Jimsong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solution to Lock the screen

I found it. I found the website and instruction to lock the screen. It is quite easy. But this forum did not allow me to post the link unless that I post three post count. Another stupid rule. I found the solution and like to share with the guys. I can't. I must have 3 posts. Wow! What an irony!

Any one can tell me why 3?

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi. double click the home button and scroll across to the lock button. click the lock button and it will stay where you lock it, but note not all apps will fiunction in your chosen mode but will revert to portrait (usually). The rotate lock is the little round arrow symbol. It is on the apple website under ipad help.

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found it. I found the website and instruction to lock the screen. It is quite easy. But this forum did not allow me to post the link unless that I post three post count. Another stupid rule. I found the solution and like to share with the guys. I can't. I must have 3 posts. Wow! What an irony!

Any one can tell me why 3?
yes it is to stop spamming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts