What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Here That Owns An iPad Will Buy The iPad Mini?

Talk2USoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
AT&T hasn't put up any fuss about me using my SIM card between iPad 1 and 2. (I checked with them before I started, and had them add a note to my account to say that I'd checked, because I didn't want to risk losing my grandfathered unlimited data plan.)

I switch the SIM card between iPad 1 and 2 because one often has less charge than the other when I'm headed out the door. I did the same when I originally had two iPad 1s (gave one away before I upgraded to iPad 2).

But iPad 1 and 2 use the same type of SIM cards. iPad 3 and mini don't from what I understand, and I doubt AT&T will allow you to share one data plan like that unless you buy one of those new data sharing plans, which generally are more expensive or more limited in data than older plans.

But if you find that using a SIM card adapter works and AT&T doesn't fuss, please let us know here.

Sorry for the double-posting but I didn't make it clear in another post that AT&T sanctions moving your data plans between the iPads you own. No need to switch out SIM cards. I was cautioned to be certain not to inadvertently CANCEL a grandfathered plan (??!!) but told that no matter what happened, AT&T would resolve any issues that may come up to my satisfaction. I also had them put a notation to my account about never intending to risk losing my grandfathered unlimited plan (thanks to your great information!)

Now that my iPad mini is here, I cancelled an aircard I had for my laptop, and will use a session based data plan, to create my own Hotspot (something a grandfathered plan won't allow). I'll also be able to utilize FACE TIME over cellular, something I wouldn't be able to do if I switched the grandfathered data plan over to the mini. I'm beyond excited and READY for this weekend's travel to see family :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for the double-posting but I didn't make it clear in another post that AT&T sanctions moving your data plans between the iPads you own. No need to switch out SIM cards. I was cautioned to be certain not to inadvertently CANCEL a grandfathered plan (??!!) but told that no matter what happened, AT&T would resolve any issues that may come up to my satisfaction. I also had them put a notation to my account about never intending to risk losing my grandfathered unlimited plan (thanks to your great information!)

Now that my iPad mini is here, I cancelled an aircard I had for my laptop, and will use a session based data plan, to create my own Hotspot (something a grandfathered plan won't allow). I'll also be able to utilize FACE TIME over cellular, something I wouldn't be able to do if I switched the grandfathered data plan over to the mini. I'm beyond excited and READY for this weekend's travel to see family :)

I've not switched SIM cards. I've been using the same SIM card in my iPad 1, 2 and now 4. My post referred to using the same card among multiple devices, all on one unlimited grandfathered plan. Like I said, AT&T was OK with that. (I've done it for about 2.5 years, since I had two iPad 1s. And have been very happy with AT&T service.)

My question to you at the time of posting was, would you be able to do that with an iPad mini and a full-size iPad, if they use different-size cards. Is that something you addressed with AT&T?

Last edited:

Talk2USoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I've not switched SIM cards. I've been using the same SIM card in my iPad 1, 2 and now 4. My post referred to using the same card among multiple devices, all on one unlimited grandfathered plan. Like I said, AT&T was OK with that. (I've done it for about 2.5 years, since I had two iPad 1s. And have been very happy with AT&T service.)

My question to you at the time of posting was, would you be able to do that with an iPad mini and a full-size iPad, if they use different-size cards. Is that something you addressed with AT&T?

There is no physical movement of SIM card necessary to transfer service from one iPad to another.

As long as the iPad you are "activating" has its OWN SIM card, you can transfer service (or move your grandfathered plan) TO that iPad simply by choosing the "Transfer Service From Another iPad" prompt from within the Cellular Data Settings
menu of the iPad you want to "activate". Doesn't get any more sanctioned than that!

Since I bought all my iPads new, they each have their own SIMS. When you went thru the process of placing the grandfathered SIM into each device, I assumed you had to remove the device's original SIM. That's why I kept using the term "switch". Sorry for the confusion.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no physical movement of SIM card necessary to transfer service from one iPad to another.

As long as the iPad you are "activating" has its OWN SIM card, you can transfer service (or move your grandfathered plan) TO that iPad simply by choosing the "Transfer Service From Another iPad" prompt from within the Cellular Data Settings
menu of the iPad you want to "activate". Doesn't get any more sanctioned than that!

Since I bought all my iPads new, they each have their own SIMS. When you went thru the process of placing the grandfathered SIM into each device, I assumed you had to remove the device's original SIM. That's why I kept using the term "switch". Sorry for the confusion.

Let me try to be clearer: I use one SIM card and share it among three iPads interchangeably. Are you saying that AT&T is allowing use of one unlimited grandfathered data plan among multiple devices with multiple cards? I use multiple iPads and switch out the SIM card on any given day because one iPad has less juice than another as I head out the door, for instance.

I'm not interested in transferring. But I'd be interested if AT&T allowed SHARING of the same grandfathered data plan among different devices even though they use diff-size SIM cards (like iPad mini).

Last edited:

Talk2USoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Let me try to be clearer: I use one SIM card and share it among three iPads interchangeably. Are you saying that AT&T is allowing use of one unlimited grandfathered data plan among multiple devices with multiple cards? I use multiple iPads and switch out the SIM card on any given day because one iPad has less juice than another as I head out the door, for instance.

I'm not interested in transferring. But I'd be interested if AT&T allowed SHARING of the same grandfathered data plan among different devices even though they use diff-size SIM cards (like iPad mini).

I have one grandfathered account and I can move (transfer) that account between the (now) 5 iPads my family owns, without ever touching a SIM card. On the iPad I want to use the grandfathered data plan on, I simply go into that iPad's cellular settings and choose the "transfer service from another iPad" screen. If the "unactivated" iPad is missing its SIM card I understand the transfer cannot take place. That's why I mentioned a SIM must be present.

As far as I know, our grandfathered plans cannot be shared, only transferred or move. I'd be surprised if AT&T sanctioned popping out SIM cards, but if that's what serves you best, I'd do the very same. I've got arthritis in my hands and those little SIM trays give me fits ;)
HTH

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one grandfathered account and I can move (transfer) that account between the (now) 5 iPads my family owns, without ever touching a SIM card. On the iPad I want to use the grandfathered data plan on, I simply go into that iPad's cellular settings and choose the "transfer service from another iPad" screen. If the "unactivated" iPad is missing its SIM card I understand the transfer cannot take place. That's why I mentioned a SIM must be present.

As far as I know, our grandfathered plans cannot be shared, only transferred or move. I'd be surprised if AT&T sanctioned popping out SIM cards, but if that's what serves you best, I'd do the very same. I've got arthritis in my hands and those little SIM trays give me fits ;)
HTH

Thanks for clarifying. That makes sense for what you're doing with your accounts.

I'm just popping out the SIM card because it's easy for me, and I had AT&T OK it and note it in my account before I started doing it. If I get a mini, I might try transferring back and forth if needed.

APorter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the original iPad and iPhone 4s and love both. My wife has never been into "gadgets". I bought my wife her first iPhone (Blackberry user) last year and she can't put it down except when using her Nook. I'm thinking about buying her an iPad Mini for Christmas. I'll upgrade my iPad when next year's model comes out and pass the original iPad down to the kids.

MrDoug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got the iPad Mini on Monday... I have to say that I was surprised at how much the screen resolution bothers me. It's perfect for me in every other way. Especially so, since AT&T officially allows one to transfer their data plan(s) between iPads without penalty. This includes those grandfathered in to unlimited data plans. Like another poster mentioned, I took their advice and had a paragraph attached to my account indicating I never would intentionally deactivate the grandfathered data plan. Thanks to y'all for such great information. It's why I sought out your forum to begin with.
I have the iPad 4 and the Mini.. I don't even notice much difference in Screen Resolution. if I was expecting the two with a magifying glass and if I was a critic I may.. but I love the Mini..

Doug

Last edited:

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 3 and just ordered a white 16GB WIFI Mini tonight. I played with it at Best Buy and really liked it. I think the screen looks better than I was expecting.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Squirrel71 said:
I have an Ipad 3 and just ordered a white 16GB WIFI Mini tonight. I played with it at Best Buy and really liked it. I think the screen looks better than I was expecting.

That sounds great, Squirrel71! You are going to love it...so many of our members have it and really enjoy the mini!

By the way...love your username! :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Squirrel71 said:

skimonkey said:
That sounds great, Squirrel71! You are going to love it...so many of our members have it and really enjoy the mini!

Once you've been here a while, you'll come to realize that we're very fond of squirrels on the iPF.

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks, a doctor I worked with a few years ago called me a squirrel when he was mad at me. I embraced the name,lol. He did apologize later and we laughed about it after that. Never did find out the reasoning behind it though.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, a doctor I worked with a few years ago called me a squirrel when he was mad at me. I embraced the name,lol. He did apologize later and we laughed about it after that. Never did find out the reasoning behind it though.

Great story and glad that you both can laugh at it later! :)

By the way...some of us have a real fondness of squirrels, as seen in the "What I see in my Backyard thread!" :) ...we have the official Sci Squirrel Training School there! ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts