What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Here That Owns An iPad Will Buy The iPad Mini?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is one interesting notion about taking a photo on a tablet....the image you see on the screen can be large enough to tell whether it is in focus or not. I have gotten into the habit, when using my 4S for photos, which I do often, to take 3 or 4 photos just to ensure I get a couple that are in focus. I'm thinking the mini might be decent enough, with its 5 mp iSight camera, to be useful (well, admittedly I still can't (or won't) whip it out of my pocket at 5:30 am in the morn, in the dark, to snap a photo showing that I got 50 mpg on my commute to work. But I might think about using it in other situations...we'll just have to see how that goes.

I'm also wondering if the size will be such that it would make sense to use it as a secondary Nav and to play audiobooks and music on, instead of my phone. Yeah, the phone is with my all the time, but man it is small. Trying to do anything with it other than make/receive calls is just dangerous, in a car. I wonder if I can link two devices into my car's BT? Hmm.....

Is there any possibility that there's something wrong with your iPhone camera? I've used iPhone 4 and 4S to take thousands of photos around the world (and now use Samsung Galaxy Note) and haven't had probs with focus unless I'm driving and try to shoot, which I'd expect.

Or is focus something that's been an issue in general for you? Is it a matter of not being able to see the screen or hold the phone stable? One possibility that might help: Before you snap, hold your finger on the button, but don't release till you're steady and ready to shoot. That can help focus (and works on various cell phone cameras and other types) before shooting. I suggest trying that, because if you can focus on a cell or digital camera, your photos are going to be so much better than with iPad cameras just because the cameras are so much better in quality.

On iPhone 4 and 4S, the only time I needed to take more than one shot of something is if I accidentally moved my hand and messed up focus, wanted to correct because of people's expressions or eyes closed, or if I was in a car and got a blurry result. The results were so good that I haven't carried a separate camera in years.

Of course, if focus is a prob, you've got to use what works best for you.

About car use, just personal pref for me: I still like standalone GPSs, and I use a separate device for audiobooks and music, whether Samsung Galaxy Note phablet, iPhone or touch. I use iPads or Kindle Fire original 7" usually only if reading or surfing the web, or to look up travel info or maps, but when I'm a passenger. I find iPad or Fire 7" too big for car use otherwise. For instance, if I'm changing music while driving, I like using a smaller device that I can hold and scroll in one hand. But that's just me.

For phone calls, my GPSs let me BT my phones. But I rarely use that. I don't usually like to chat while driving.

I could see either 10" or 7" being a pref for some, especially if eyesight or touch is a challenge when driving, or maybe someone just wants a bigger screen.

Last edited:

Appleipaduser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH: In December, Apple will announce the iPad Mini 2. A source only I know deep inside the Kingdom of Apple said "We want to be number one again, so our new releases will keep up with Android. This move will be made because we learned that we are running out of fanboys and now we must compete on something other than our good looks and high prices and limited availability. We will update iOS 34 times in 2013; our TOS will be reduced to 450 pages, and Tim Cook will license iOS to RIM. You can expect the iPhone 6, 7, 8, and 9 before Arbor day, 2013. We will relocate the headphone jack, announce a new connector that will be compatible with the first one, and add Gorilla Glass 3. Sorry, no NFC till we "invent" NFC 2.0. Each new release will feature increasing screen sizes until the iPhone looks like a Galaxy S3. We will add NFC by 2015."

I know people and I can absolutely confirm from secret engineering documents coming directly to me from people I know at Foxx and uploaded to the Internet by unidentified writers at The Huffington Post, the new device will have a much larger screen and it will be called the iPad.

By the way . . Apple will stop making the Mini because Foxx ran out of left over Kindle Fire and PlayBook parts. Mr. Cook will announce his forced retirement from Apple (due to Mini Gate and making iPods ugly but colorful) and his post will be filled by the person Microsoft fired for suggesting the Surface. Cook will have his iTunes account publicly canceled in a public ceremony in Cupertino. I hope he is using iCloud.

You can find the files I have referenced in this late breaking special report, stored on the web. Just Download Tor and look for documents with the .onion extension. Gee I hope someone gets that.

If I am not correct, I'll publicly eat three bugs.

Finally a truthful and accurate post if I every saw one! Thanks Bob! You must be the deep throat of Apple!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there any possibility that there's something wrong with your iPhone camera? I've used iPhone 4 and 4S to take thousands of photos around the world (and now use Samsung Galaxy Note) and haven't had probs with focus unless I'm driving and try to shoot, which I'd expect.

Or is focus something that's been an issue in general for you? Is it a matter of not being able to see the screen or hold the phone stable? One possibility that might help: Before you snap, hold your finger on the button, but don't release till you're steady and ready to shoot. That can help focus (and works on various cell phone cameras and other types) before shooting. I suggest trying that, because if you can focus on a cell or digital camera, your photos are going to be so much better than with iPad cameras just because the cameras are so much better in quality.

On iPhone 4 and 4S, the only time I needed to take more than one shot of something is if I accidentally moved my hand and messed up focus, wanted to correct because of people's expressions or eyes closed, or if I was in a car and got a blurry result. The results were so good that I haven't carried a separate camera in years.

Of course, if focus is a prob, you've got to use what works best for you.

About car use, just personal pref for me: I still like standalone GPSs, and I use a separate device for audiobooks and music, whether Samsung Galaxy Note phablet, iPhone or touch. I use iPads or Kindle Fire original 7" usually only if reading or surfing the web, or to look up travel info or maps, but when I'm a passenger. I find iPad or Fire 7" too big for car use otherwise. For instance, if I'm changing music while driving, I like using a smaller device that I can hold and scroll in one hand. But that's just me.

For phone calls, my GPSs let me BT my phones. But I rarely use that. I don't usually like to chat while driving.

I could see either 10" or 7" being a pref for some, especially if eyesight or touch is a challenge when driving, or maybe someone just wants a bigger screen.

Sorry I gave the impression the camera doesn't work....it works fine. But I just get blurred shots now and again...depending on what I'm shooting. I guess it could have to do with using the touch screen button or not...but I generally always take more than one shot on general principle anyhow, especially if I think the shot will be important to be later. Taking just one shot is almost a guarantee that it will come out blurred, btw. :) But I have to say on the phone a fair number of them come out blurry and I do take a lot of shots....part of the reason I got the 64GB phone is so I'd have plenty of space...and the phone has replaced the point-and-shoot I use to carry around.

Mainly I just want a bigger screen. Easier to see, easier to touch, but not so big that it is hard to use. About the only way to use a full-size iPad while driving is to have it mounted, then it is a pleasure to use, though the 7-inch Nav unit in my car is nice too...but the car maker isn't so forth coming up with map updates acting as if they are of the stone age or something. So my use pattern for nav now is to use the mobile device as a backup....I run Navigon in the background, but have it minimized...so I can hear music or audiobook, but also hear voice warnings from Navigon, which I like. If I go over the speed limit by a certain amount, it reminds me by saying "caution". the Car nav doesn't have that. It will also say caution if you make a jerky movement in your lane, too. Finally, if my car nav comes up missing a road, then I have secondary. So the choice now is whether to keep this on my phone or move it to the mini. When I consider were I keep the phone, it is harder to see because of the little screen (I'm the driver 99.8% of the time, too). The Mini could change that. Not sure if I'm willing to go back to an arm mount like I used with the full-sized iPad, though...just too much junk in the cabin...so I will need to find a suitable way to mount the Mini...but keep in mind I'd only be using this on longer trips...I don't need this for everyday stuff, where I'm just going to my usual hangouts. phone is fine for that.

Mini_mi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ordered the Black 32G as soon as the online store opened even though I own IPad 3.
There are just times that carrying the full size IPad isn't convenient,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry I gave the impression the camera doesn't work....it works fine. But I just get blurred shots now and again...depending on what I'm shooting. I guess it could have to do with using the touch screen button or not...but I generally always take more than one shot on general principle anyhow, especially if I think the shot will be important to be later. Taking just one shot is almost a guarantee that it will come out blurred, btw. :) But I have to say on the phone a fair number of them come out blurry and I do take a lot of shots....part of the reason I got the 64GB phone is so I'd have plenty of space...and the phone has replaced the point-and-shoot I use to carry around.

Mainly I just want a bigger screen. Easier to see, easier to touch, but not so big that it is hard to use. About the only way to use a full-size iPad while driving is to have it mounted, then it is a pleasure to use, though the 7-inch Nav unit in my car is nice too...but the car maker isn't so forth coming up with map updates acting as if they are of the stone age or something. So my use pattern for nav now is to use the mobile device as a backup....I run Navigon in the background, but have it minimized...so I can hear music or audiobook, but also hear voice warnings from Navigon, which I like. If I go over the speed limit by a certain amount, it reminds me by saying "caution". the Car nav doesn't have that. It will also say caution if you make a jerky movement in your lane, too. Finally, if my car nav comes up missing a road, then I have secondary. So the choice now is whether to keep this on my phone or move it to the mini. When I consider were I keep the phone, it is harder to see because of the little screen (I'm the driver 99.8% of the time, too). The Mini could change that. Not sure if I'm willing to go back to an arm mount like I used with the full-sized iPad, though...just too much junk in the cabin...so I will need to find a suitable way to mount the Mini...but keep in mind I'd only be using this on longer trips...I don't need this for everyday stuff, where I'm just going to my usual hangouts. phone is fine for that.

Sounds like lots of possible uses for your mini, so keep us posted on how you put it through its paces.

I like having iPad in case my standalone GPS fails. It came in handy when that happened recently, and I used iPad to navigate instead, till I got a replacement GPS.

richardcb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Completely agree with you. I also have apps syncing seamlessly between devices and use airplay with Apple TV. It works for me. One thing I'm not sure about - is it possible to build up a decent library of Android tablet apps? :)

I've heard rumours that is possible to build such a library...but they're just rumours. ;)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had a lot of luck taking pictures with my iPad 3rd gen. I recently got back from a conference where I take a lot of pictures. I left without my 10 mp camera that i normally get good shots with. I had my wife's 12 mp camera, but after the first day, found that most of the shots were blurred. I wound up using my iPad and getting a lot of good shots with that. Before that, I have used it with great success in situations where I do not have my camera on hand. In a couple of years, I may get a mini or iPod Touch to use if the camera gets improved to at least an 8 mp. The reality is that for under $300, the Touch would serve me better than a dedicated camera for a similar price.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had an iPad 2. But when I moved into the new apartments they have yet to install the fiber optic lines for internet (new complex). So they give all the new residents these AT&T LTE cards. No monthly price, unlimited data. Downside is the USB. So my iPas 2 was considered useless. Sold it for $400, and got myself a macbook air 13".

Upgraded my i4 with verizon to the i5 on October 25th. So my iPad mini should be here on the 2nd and my i5 should be here on the 20th! (making my iPad mini worthless at home due to lack of internet)

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@Wakawaka - can you find software to turn your MacBook into a hotspot?

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought about it.. but eh... if I have to go through the effort to get my MBA out, turn it on, sit and wait for it to read the USB data card, click connect... then I might as well just use my laptop to do internet like activities.

From lifting to the lid, to being connected to the AT&T LTE network takes about a minute. Pain but it is what it is.

Only reason I got the iPad mini was really just to read via Flipboard and light internet browsing. Of course using the hotspot feature via my iPhone 5 once that arrives.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had an iPad 2. But when I moved into the new apartments they have yet to install the fiber optic lines for internet (new complex). So they give all the new residents these AT&T LTE cards. No monthly price, unlimited data. Downside is the USB. So my iPas 2 was considered useless. Sold it for $400, and got myself a macbook air 13".

Upgraded my i4 with verizon to the i5 on October 25th. So my iPad mini should be here on the 2nd and my i5 should be here on the 20th! (making my iPad mini worthless at home due to lack of internet)

Geez, I would never move into a place without Internet. I'd rather go without a fridge or kitchen, seriously.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Geez, I would never move into a place without Internet. I'd rather go without a fridge or kitchen, seriously.

I was thinking the same thing. If I had unlimited LTE via USB dongle, I'd leave whatever computer it is in - up and running 24x7 acting as a hotspot for everything in my house needing Internet: printers, TiVos, cellphones, tablets, Slingbox, cameras, BluRay players, Apple TVs, Skype phone, etc.

(Dang, I have a lot of things connected in my house!)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. If I had unlimited LTE via USB dongle, I'd leave whatever computer it is in - up and running 24x7 acting as a hotspot for everything in my house needing Internet: printers, TiVos, cellphones, tablets, Slingbox, cameras, BluRay players, Apple TVs, Skype phone, etc.

Me, too, except I'd make my husband do all the setup work, lol.

Josh1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love my iPad 3, but want the Mini for lighter weight to read bks and email, esp. when traveling.

Most reactions

Latest posts