What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Here That Owns An iPad Will Buy The iPad Mini?

Mscosmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad 3. Not interested in the mini. Very happy with what I have. However, I want to learn more about the iPad 4.

Devynquinn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iJamesH said:
Just wondering if anyone that owns an iPad will end up shelling dough for the mini?

I am buying the mini and 4th gen. I skipped 3rd, so ready to upgrade my 2nd.

richardcb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an iphoneographer I really like the idea of a smaller iPad to carry round in the field for quick editing and viewing or images. I can then undertake more detailed processing on my iPad 3rd gen at home.

richardcb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But considering the price - ridiculously $329 - come on! I won't be a stupid fan... I will choose between Kindle fire and Nexus 7. The right choice to make.
Well, it's definitely a choice to make - and might be the right one for you. In my case I have already invested in a large number of iPhone and iPad apps, almost all of which will run straight away on the mini. If I went for a Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire I might save on the hardware but building up a decent library of apps would probably bump the price up considerably.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did. We have two 64GB wifi/LTEs iPad3s in the family but I ordered a mini 32GB wifi only to use primarily as a reader.

davidrw99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Preordered the Black 64 GB this morning... I will use it in conjuction with my iPad 3... will divide the load (in terms of type of activity) between the two. Hoping it will make a little more sense to try and take pictures (and NOT look like a dweeb!) with the mini! When I travel I also keep a blog of travel. I often take pictures with my iPad so I have ready access for my travelogue/blog uploads... hoping the mini will be less geek-like for this task. Always feel a little awkward taking photos with the iPad since it is kind of large...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Preordered the Black 64 GB this morning... I will use it in conjuction with my iPad 3... will divide the load (in terms of type of activity) between the two. Hoping it will make a little more sense to try and take pictures (and NOT look like a dweeb!) with the mini! When I travel I also keep a blog of travel. I often take pictures with my iPad so I have ready access for my travelogue/blog uploads... hoping the mini will be less geek-like for this task. Always feel a little awkward taking photos with the iPad since it is kind of large...

Whatever works for you. I don't see the appeal of taking photos with any iPad, because of the poor camera quality, especially compared with smaller devices like phones and digital cameras. If I wanted to preserve and show off my travels, I'd want better quality photos than any iPad can deliver.

samch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ended up ordering a white 32gb mini one for out and about use , had a nexus 7 for that but the apps I need to use for work are not compatible with it ,the ipad 3 is a bit heavy to carry about everywhere , for me anyway , got a two week wait now

thespinner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it's definitely a choice to make - and might be the right one for you. In my case I have already invested in a large number of iPhone and iPad apps, almost all of which will run straight away on the mini. If I went for a Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire I might save on the hardware but building up a decent library of apps would probably bump the price up considerably.

Completely agree with you. I also have apps syncing seamlessly between devices and use airplay with Apple TV. It works for me. One thing I'm not sure about - is it possible to build up a decent library of Android tablet apps? :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Whatever works for you. I don't see the appeal of taking photos with any iPad, because of the poor camera quality, especially compared with smaller devices like phones and digital cameras. If I wanted to preserve and show off my travels, I'd want better quality photos than any iPad can deliver.

There is one interesting notion about taking a photo on a tablet....the image you see on the screen can be large enough to tell whether it is in focus or not. I have gotten into the habit, when using my 4S for photos, which I do often, to take 3 or 4 photos just to ensure I get a couple that are in focus. I'm thinking the mini might be decent enough, with its 5 mp iSight camera, to be useful (well, admittedly I still can't (or won't) whip it out of my pocket at 5:30 am in the morn, in the dark, to snap a photo showing that I got 50 mpg on my commute to work. But I might think about using it in other situations...we'll just have to see how that goes.

I'm also wondering if the size will be such that it would make sense to use it as a secondary Nav and to play audiobooks and music on, instead of my phone. Yeah, the phone is with my all the time, but man it is small. Trying to do anything with it other than make/receive calls is just dangerous, in a car. I wonder if I can link two devices into my car's BT? Hmm.....

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thespinner said:
Completely agree with you. I also have apps syncing seamlessly between devices and use airplay with Apple TV. It works for me. One thing I'm not sure about - is it possible to build up a decent library of Android tablet apps? :)

Disclaimer, I do not own an Android device--yet. But I have ordered Amazon's Kindle HD 32gig, 4G-LTE tablet. I've researched as much as I can about this device and found that for the most part, there is a comparable app available on the Kindle as on the iPad. So I would answer, you can build a decent library of Android tablet apps with an Android tablet.

The follow on comment is, I am not going to get any additional Android app than what comes with the device out of the box. Ninety percent of the time, I am going to use this new tablet to consume media from Amazon and Netflix. I might set it up for personal email, bill pay, stock portfolio monitoring, breaking news, and weather. I will keep my iPads to do specific charitable, business, and work related functions.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Disclaimer, I do not own an Android device--yet. But I have ordered Amazon's Kindle HD 32gig, 4G-LTE tablet. I've researched as much as I can about this device and found that for the most part, there is a comparable app available on the Kindle as on the iPad. So I would answer, you can build a decent library of Android tablet apps with an Android tablet.

The follow on comment is, I am not going to get any additional Android app than what comes with the device out of the box. Ninety percent of the time, I am going to use this new tablet to consume media from Amazon and Netflix. I might set it up for personal email, bill pay, stock portfolio monitoring, breaking news, and weather. I will keep my iPads to do specific charitable, business, and work related functions.
There are plenty of apps on both platforms. I just dread having to pay $40 again for Slingplayer.

After a couple of disappointing years trying to find good Amazon Prime video content, I'm enjoying the new additions there. Just watched Season 4 of Damages there - commercial free. After reading your post, I'm taking another look at the Kindle HD while I await the Nexus announcement. The Nexus does stream Amazon videos with the right browser but that is a bit too iffy.

OTOH, the Amazon video app works lovely on the iPad.

Decisions, decisions.

Most reactions