What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which version of iTunes to use to update to iOS 7.1.2?

gsl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish to update from iOS 7.1 to iOS 7.1.2 on my iPad 3. The material I've read concerning making iOS updates with iTunes states that the latest version of iTunes should be used. The latest iTunes version, 11.3, was released 7/10/14.

Is it possible to use a version earlier than the latest? I don't think the public library where the updates will be done always has the latest version of iTunes installed on its computers.

On 9/18/13, Apple released iTunes version 11.1; the same day iOS 7 was released. Since then, there have been nine updates of iTunes, v11.1.1 through v11.3.

Can a version prior to iTunes 11.3 be used to update to iOS 7.1.2? If so, how far back can one go to find a version of iTunes that will support the update?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe any version of iTunes 11 will support iOS 7. So, the lowest you can go is iTunes 11.1 with the highest being whatever is out today. You just can't use iTunes 10.x or earlier...

So, you should be fine using iTunes 11.3 at the library.

Marilyn

tron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe any version of iTunes 11 will support iOS 7. So, the lowest you can go is iTunes 11.1 with the highest being whatever is out today. You just can't use iTunes 10.x or earlier...

So, you should be fine using iTunes 11.3 at the library.

Marilyn
Marilyn, I don't think he mentioned that the library has 11.3 version.

OP please tell us what version is the library PC on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

gsl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn and Tron,

Thank you for your response.

I'll try to paint a picture of the circumstances so you can better understand the situation.

Including the main library downtown, there are fourteen public libraries, and, at present, I do not know the total number of computers that are available for public use. Today, a quick survey was conducted at three of the branch libraries with mixed results: some computers had an iTunes version as early as 10.7.0.21; some had version 11.1.4.62; some had version 11.1.5.5. It is possible that later versions, even version 11.3, may be installed on some of the computers, but I was not able to verify this.

One cannot know the version of iTunes installed on a computer without logging on, and only two sessions of one hour each are permitted each day at a library. So, finding the current version of iTunes is something of a challenge.

It is my intention to talk to the library IT department in the near future regarding the policy for updating iTunes. As you know, updating the executable code on network computers requires administrator privilege, and, to my knowledge, only an IT department representative can do the update.

Next month is the second anniversary of my iPad ownership. I have made two iOS updates thus far. The update to iOS 6 was made OTA using the WiFi service available at the public library. While fumbling around with iTunes in an effort to access data in some third-party apps, iOS 7.1 was inadvertently downloaded, but not installed. This download caught me by surprise, and I still don't understand what action on my part caused it. Later, using WiFi, the installation was completed OTA. As I do not recall which computer I was using at the time of this download, the version of iTunes used is unknown.

As stated initially, the material I've read concerning iOS updates using iTunes, including that published by Apple, states that the latest version of iTunes should be used. If it is possible to use versions of iTunes earlier than the latest, it would be helpful if Apple would publish a list of iTunes releases that can support updating to the latest iOS configuration.

Do either of you know of any one who has updated to iOS 7.1.2 using a version of iTunes earlier than 11.3?

GSL

tron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn and Tron,

Thank you for your response.

I'll try to paint a picture of the circumstances so you can better understand the situation.

Including the main library downtown, there are fourteen public libraries, and, at present, I do not know the total number of computers that are available for public use. Today, a quick survey was conducted at three of the branch libraries with mixed results: some computers had an iTunes version as early as 10.7.0.21; some had version 11.1.4.62; some had version 11.1.5.5. It is possible that later versions, even version 11.3, may be installed on some of the computers, but I was not able to verify this.

One cannot know the version of iTunes installed on a computer without logging on, and only two sessions of one hour each are permitted each day at a library. So, finding the current version of iTunes is something of a challenge.

It is my intention to talk to the library IT department in the near future regarding the policy for updating iTunes. As you know, updating the executable code on network computers requires administrator privilege, and, to my knowledge, only an IT department representative can do the update.

Next month is the second anniversary of my iPad ownership. I have made two iOS updates thus far. The update to iOS 6 was made OTA using the WiFi service available at the public library. While fumbling around with iTunes in an effort to access data in some third-party apps, iOS 7.1 was inadvertently downloaded, but not installed. This download caught me by surprise, and I still don't understand what action on my part caused it. Later, using WiFi, the installation was completed OTA. As I do not recall which computer I was using at the time of this download, the version of iTunes used is unknown.

As stated initially, the material I've read concerning iOS updates using iTunes, including that published by Apple, states that the latest version of iTunes should be used. If it is possible to use versions of iTunes earlier than the latest, it would be helpful if Apple would publish a list of iTunes releases that can support updating to the latest iOS configuration.

Do either of you know of any one who has updated to iOS 7.1.2 using a version of iTunes earlier than 11.3?

GSL

Why don't you do an OTA update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

GSL

To answer your last question: No, I don't know of anyone (I'm still on iOS 7.0.6 because I'm jail broken and I keep my personal iTunes up-to-date to manage my mom's iPad2 running iOS 7.1.2).

But, everything I read leads me to understand that any version of iTunes 11.x (no matter what follows "11") is compatible and will work with iOS 7.x. Subsequent number versions of iTunes 11.x are incremental upgrades to the program but don't affect basic compatibility.

However, if I may - I need to join in with tron's question and ask why you don't do the update to iOS 7.1.2 over the air (OTA)?

You do not need iTunes to do an OTA upgrade, all you need is access to WiFi and some patience/time to wait for the iPad to do the work. So, it won't matter what version of iTunes any place is running because you won't care. With the OTA, you are accessing Apple's servers directly to download the iOS version, then the install (when you're prompted) is started by you.

To access the OTA feature, go to the General tab in your Settings app and press the Software Update line. Follow the prompts to download and/or install the iOS.

Just make sure you have strong, consistent WiFi signal to get the download. Oh, and make a Cloud back-up ... just in case.

Hope some of this helps.

Marilyn

Most reactions