What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which new iPad storage capacity should we get

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On this thread we can discuss about picking the right storage capacity. As we all know new iPad have Retina display & because of that we are facing with whole new experience with rich apps, hi-res photos & HD vids that can take huge space on our future iPad`s.

If you have any doubts about picking storage capacity, post your question here.

For me 16 GB is OK, but only because I will primarily use my future iPad for sketching. On second place will be surfing on web.
From time to time I will take a look on some HD movie. Also I will have some music stored, but not too much.

darthluke12694

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I currently have the original iPad 32GB. I'm currently using 10.7GB out of about 28GB of actual useable space. 8GB of that are apps. I want to get the new iPad, and as of right now I could get the 16GB version since I would only be using 10.7GB out of about 14GB of useable space. However, if all of the apps I have get updated to support the retina display, won't the size of the app double? That means that the 16GB iPad won't be enough for me.

Obviously I won't have any problems in the beginning because the app developers won't update their apps all at once. However, if they all eventually update their apps, then the all of a sudden i will be using about 16GB worth of apps. Therefore I won't have enough space. Are my calculations correct? I've read where the app size will double if they support the new retina display.

I've even seen it happen with Apple's apps. For example, Pages went from about 85MB to 225MB. Keynote went from 110MB to 327MB. The main reason Apple updated those apps was to support the retina display. So I'm going to assume that this will happen to all apps that are updated to support retina.

So my point is, anyone trying to figure out what size of iPad to get should double the amount of space your apps currently takes up, correct?

kidnice15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still don't know what storage capacity I want to get for the new ipad. I had an iPhone 4 16gb and only used about 8 gb of that, I have an ipad 1 ( about to sell ) 64GB and I never used the space for that either. I remember the lowest I got with that was 46GB. I am just afraid that if I get the 16GB new ipad it won't be enough space, granted I never used the space in any of my other devices, I just feel like this time its going to be different, with pictures and movies and stuff like that. I have somebody who is going to buy my ipad for 300 ( which I think is a good thing for me ) I have a 100 gift card for best buy so that is 400. Should I just spend the extra 200 and at least get a 32 GB or get the 16GB version and get some accessories with it. Still don't know what I want to do lol.

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 1G iPad with 64. Presently it is almost nearly absolutely full because I've loaded it with movies to watch while away. I don't usually watch a
Ot of movies on it. About a quarter of the memory is music. I've discovered I don't listen to music on my iPad. Else a quarter of that 64gig is apps, and related data including photos and a lot of sketches and drawing - which is, as I've also discovered mostly what I'm using it for. I could slim down a lot of apps, lose the music and movies and get away , I think with a 16 gig.

wkoniowalski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 was 64gb and it was always filled with my work PST files and reference material. For my purposes 256gb would work well as I would like to have the ability to download my cameras RAW files as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts