What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which iPad should buy?

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would suggest either the Air or the mini with retina as these two have the newest processors.
I would get a cellular version only if you can't tether from your phone.
The amount of space is up to you. From now on I'm only buying 128GB versions. My first was a 32GB iPad 1. I never came close to filling it up. But then I passed it to my kids when I upgraded. My kids filled it quickly and now it's a hassle to figure out what to delete when they want something new.

The way I figure, I'm always going to be handing down my old iDevices to my kids who will fill them with movies and games so size is very important. The last iDevice I bought was 128GB mini and I'm very happy with the purchase. I didn't get cellular because I can just tether off my iPhone if I need Internet. My iPad 1 and iPad 3 have cellular and I never use it since I jailbroke my iPhone.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In terms of form factor, it's entirely user preference. The Mini or Mini Retina is aimed more towards the Android-sized tablets with the 7.9 inch display. The "original" iPads are larger, with a 9.7 inch display (these measurements are only the screen, not the entirety of the device, which is slightly larger). If you prefer a tablet that you can grip with one hand, the Mini is for you. If you don't mind a larger iPad and think that the larger screen size is worth the trade-off, the full sized iPads are for you. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, but there are trade-offs of each that you may want to consider.

Differentiating them individually within form factor (assuming we're talking retail), the iPad Mini original packs an A5 processor (like that of the iPhone 4S and iPad 2), which is the first dual core processor introduced for the Apple line. The resolution on the iPad Mini is 1024 x 768, like that of the iPad 2 as well. Overall, despite the lifespan of the A5 processor since release, it's still a very solid build and will see another few years of support before it becomes a legacy device. The iPad Mini Retina, packs the A7/M7 coprocessor, which offers 64 bit architecture, which is one of the first Apple devices to have it. Resolution is doubled compared to the Mini 1, and doubles the RAM, GPU and packs a bigger punch with the processor. If you're going for the Mini, it's recommended that you get the Mini Retina to get the most of your investment as it does have a noticeable difference in performance and graphics compared to the Mini 1.

With respect to the full size iPad, you have the option of the iPad 4 and iPad Air. The iPad 2 can still be purchased in some locations and authorized sellers, but it's essentially the same as the iPad Mini Original, just with a bigger screen size. The iPad 4 and iPad Air both have a 2048 x 1536 resolution, 9.7 inch display. The iPad 4 is using the 32 bit Apple Swift processor, whereas the iPad Air is using the 64 bit Cyclone processor with M7 co-processor (like the iPad Mini 2). The iPad Air is also slightly smaller in overall size than the iPad 4, and there is a bit of a noticeable difference between performance on the iPad 4 and iPad Air under graphic intensive scenarios.

The general consensus would be to get the newer device so that you get the most out of its longevity and performance. The only difference between which you get would be the size of the device. The iPad Mini Retina is essentially a smaller version of the iPad Air if you want to think of it that way, and with a slightly smaller price tag

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's really a personal choice, Willerz2 has given a great run down on the specs for each new iPad available.

But think of what you want to use your iPad for, Movies, music, travel, photos, the list goes on and does get larger when you do buy an iPad, it's only then that you find so many more uses for it. So in terms of GB size, movies take up the most space, so if you want to have these loaded, a larger GB size is for you.....although you can swap out everything regularly, it just depends how much you have to spend and if you are the sort who doesn't mind doing this.....I'm not, which is why I bought the 128gb iPad Air.

I also have the first mini which is so easy to carry with me everywhere because of the size, but I find the Air just so much quicker and because of the bigger screen I find I use this one more for my more serious work and for watching movies. I would definitely recommend a newer iPad with retina screen, it's just so much easier on your eyes.

All my iPads are cellular (I have the iPad 2 also) I travel regularly both here and overseas and use my iPads for keeping in touch and storing photos etc. it's much cheaper to just buy a sim for where I am rather than pay hotel internet fees and I also get to use it out and about. A cellular iPad also gives you true GPS ability, it's built into the iPad itself and you don't even need a charged sim for this to work. This has saved me many times, more recently in Japan on a trip and we came off a train and didn't have a clue where we were. ;)

I hope this helps.

LaLaChaCha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It' depending on your needs and budget. ALL of my iPad machines perform well, so quality is not a problem.

Most reactions