What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to Charge your iPad?

armoredsaint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Being new to iPads, does it matter when or how often you charge it? Do you let it drop down to a certain percentage first?

I wasn't sure if it's Li-Po batteries or not?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, there is no memory effect with these batteries. The only recommendation from Apple is that once a month you run a full discharge/recharge cycle but this is only to recalibrate the battery meter and for no other purpose.

The Archangel

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine arrived 85% full. I ran it down until it shut itself off and am now charging it back up to 100%. For day to day use it's a good idea to use it down to 40% and then charge it back to 100%. And as Gabriel says, once a month run it all the way down until it shuts itself off and charge it back up to 100%.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5er driver said:
Mine arrived 85% full. I ran it down until it shut itself off and am now charging it back up to 100%. For day to day use it's a good idea to use it down to 40% and then charge it back to 100%. And as Gabriel says, once a month run it all the way down until it shuts itself off and charge it back up to 100%.

Actually there is no guidance that says anything about 40% and 100%. There are no fixed guidelines, check out this link http://www.apple.com/batteries/

The Archangel

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not from Apple, but from the manufacturers of lithium batteries. Normal usage and optimal care of the battery, perform a full recharge at 40%. Long term storage, store at 40%. The full discharge to device shutdown and recharge to 100% is an Apple suggestion to recalibrate the battery indicator of the device.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5er driver said:
Here's one Gabe. There's plenty more out there. Google is your friend, my friend.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Google is my friend! But I still don't see where the 40%/100% comes from. Reading that article the 40% appears to refer to long term storage (not for a battery which is in regular use), which more or less adds up to Apples advice of 50% for long term storage. It does however mention that partial discharges are beneficial to battery life (as against full cycle discharges) so the Apple advice still appears to be the correct advice to follow.

The Archangel

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right, there's nothing detrimental to the battery in Apple's advice. Even when discharging the battery until the device shuts itself off there is still a bit of reserve juice in the battery, it won't fully discharge to the point if harming the battery.

ColemanLee09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I usually just run it down to 10% or less then plug it in. Want to maximize the # of charges and battery life.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ColemanLee09 said:
I usually just run it down to 10% or less then plug it in. Want to maximize the # of charges and battery life.

You need to read the link that I posted above......

100% charge is one cycle

A 90% charge + 10% charge = one cycle

Two 30% charges + one 40% charge = one cycle

No matter how you do it you will have the same use/charge time as someone who only runs it own to 90% then charges.

The Archangel

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best way to extend the battery's life is to reduce the # of charge cycles it will have. That means leaving the device plugged to a power source as long as possible after the battery has fully charged, whether at home, at work, or in a car. For instance, at work in the office I leave my iPhone plugged in the whole day while I'm there. When I'm back home I leave it plugged in all the time. I will do the same with my new iPad which won't be leaving the house unless I travel on biz or pleasure. Conveniently I happen to have power outlets very near my office desk and my coffee table at home to be able to leave the devices plugged in and use them. I don't usually use a car charger unless driving for a long time.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I understand that doesn't work either.

When plugged in the intelligent chargers allow the charge to drop slightly then top it up, it's like a constant mini cycle.......three things that you can't cheat, death, taxes and charge cycles!

The Archangel

geobernd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5er driver: Not true for the iPads (and other Li-Ion) batteries... Gabriel1's description is correct.

steftymo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but what is the effect on the battery if I charge it whilst using my ipad. Also is it possible to connect a usb extension lead to existing charging cable ?

Most reactions

Latest posts