What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats your charging routine?

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i charge mine overnight, or if im not using it, or once it runs to the ground!
im on 6% at the moment, but i cant be bothered going upstairs to get my charger!
i'll still get a good 20 mins of so before it dies :)

madam_octa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Charge mine every time it gets around 2 or 3%, about twice a week of moderate usage

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It all depends on my location I guess. A normal day has me plugging in my iPad before bedtime. Then I throw it and my portable rechargeable DVD player in my back pack and head for work. Now my work days can range from 12-48hrs straight. I generally use my iPad up until about 15% and then start thinking about recharging it. If I'm about to head home, I just throw it in my back pack and plug it in before hitting the hay. If it's going to be a late night, I break out my AC/DC converter and start charging the iPad. This sometimes has me juggling my iPad, DVD player, and cell phone...my work truck only has one plug. On my off days I generally plug it in around 30-45%...I'm currently on 30% debating if I should charge or not...I'll probably do it when ever room service shows up ;)

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends on what I am doing the next day. Saturday night, always gets plugged in so it is full for church. I use a lot of 3G researching during the sermon and such as well as after the service.

If I am leaving on a trip, no matter what the charge is, it gets a full charge for the plane trip.

Otherwise I let it go down to about 20%, every 2 - 3 days. More often if I am streaming with XBMC, that just hammers the battery.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Usually put it on charge almost every night before we go to bed. I'll use it in the am before I go to work, my wife uses it during the day and then I use it when I get home at night. It's usually down to anywhere from about 20% to 1%.

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there any problem using the iPhone charger to charge my iPad and vice versa? The iPad charger is pretty big and I don't want to damage the iPhone.

I usually charge it at about 20% but have heard it's good to run it down to almost nil occasionally soave done that.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No routine. I sometimes forget to charge, sometimes let it run to 2 percent. That's why I got a second iPad, so I always have a charged one.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I posted this some while ago in another similar thread, but it is probably worth reproducing it here.

Li-Ion (LiPo, LiCo, LiMn, LiFePO4 and other Li chemistries) will have a longer life if not allowed to discharge completely. Modern devices incorporate sophisticated protection circuitry to avoid serious damage from over-discharge, but bumping down against that limit too often will not do the battery any good.

The important thing is not to leave the battery in a fully discharged state. Recharge it as soon as possible after discharge. If you have to store the device unused for any protracted length of time (1 month or more) do so with the meter reading about 80%.

The battery should last around 1,000 full charge cycles - that is, complete discharge and recharge every day for 3 years. Few people will achieve such a heavy use. A part cycle does not count as a full one, so don't be afraid to top it up daily, even from 70-80%. LiPo batteries have no memory effect, and prefer being kept topped up.

None of us, even heavy users among the very first to get iPads, will be anywhere near exhausting the batteries yet. In 3-4 years' time, if we have not upgraded by then, the symptoms of exhaustion will be a failure to hold charge; the battery will charge up to 100% but then drop back quite quickly (within 15-20 minutes) to a noticeably lower figure even when it has not been used. When it can no longer hold 80% charge, it will be time to retire it.

By then, users may notice the iPad becoming warm (or even quite hot) during recharging. Heat is not a good sign; the problem will increase as the battery's life approaches its end, to the point where it becomes dangerous. By then the device is likely to exhibit other signs of malfunction. Further persistence at that stage would be a bad idea as a battery that overheats can eventually suffer thermal runaway, at which point it will go off like a firework and vent with flame, producing extremely toxic gases in the process.

However... the greatest likelihood is that the battery will simply just gradually fade out, with none of the drastic worst-case scenarios occurring; and it isn't going to happen to any of us for quite a long time yet. :)

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since I joined Ipf? Charged every night prior to joining, once every couple of days.....Hmmmm, perhaps I need therapy :) :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Aladyleyna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Normally I wait until my battery is at 25%. Hence, I normally charge once a day, while I'm sleeping, sometimes once every two days, but that's rather rare, since I have quite a store of games on my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

beavery

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received the iPad about 36 hours ago, and this is the first time I have charged it so I haven't got a routine yet :)

However I am concerned that when plugged into a normal USB, things that my iPhone charges with, computer, wii, etc. the iPad comes up with a 'not charging' tag.

Is this normal?

Most reactions