What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this ridiculous message?

Reaction score
I am using iPad mini for 2 years, Since last Tuesday, the screen blackens every 5 minutes and shows a ridiculous message "It could take a few minutes for your phone to find a network." The streaming is interrupted by this every time. I only can tap <Cancel> or <Accept> under the message but nothing changes and 5 minutes later the same message comes back. My iPad is not a phone!! I even never use cellular connection. What is this message? How could I get rid of this?

Attachments

• IMG_1075.PNG
    IMG_1075.PNG
    15.9 KB · Views: 368
OP
P
Reaction score
The message appears always while using Safari, Gmail, Word, Pandora, YouTube, game, ...even if using nothing, offline, or just opening the iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Strange. What you are seeing is not a system notification. At least it's no system notification I've ever seen or heard about. It appears to be an app screen, complete with a back button at the upper left. Something you wouldn't see on a notification screen.

If you have not already done so, try a reset. Hold down the home and power buttons until the Apple logo appears. This can take anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds. The iPad should reboot on it's own.

OP
P
Reaction score
Does that "Reset" has the same function as "Reset All Settings" on the Settings > General > Reset?

This iPad is cellular capable and I have installed Data SIM Card just in case.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No. Reset All Settings defaults most of the settings in the Settings app, leaving out the account and security settings. The reset I described is like a restart, only more so. Nothing is deleted or changed.

Since you have a SIM card installed, but don't want to use Cellular Data, make sure you've turned it off in Settings > Cellular. Though, looking at your screenshot, I'm pretty sure you already have Cellular Data turned off, since no carrier name is showing, and you've got the wi-fi signal strength fan showing instead of 3G, 4G, or LTE.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

OP
P
Reaction score
I didn't think it's jailbroken but how do I know? Come to think of it. this annoying message started while I was in the clinic and tried to use gmail last Tuesday. Nothing to do with this?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is weird! Here are a few things I'd try if this was happening to me:

(1) Try going to Settings > General > Reset > "Reset Network Settings" and see if that'll clear it

(2) Remove the SIM card and then do the full restart (either turn off/on the iPad or hold the sleep button until you see the Apple logo). Maybe that'll help...

All I can think of, outside from other suggestions offered.

Marilyn

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn,

I tried "Reset Network Settings" but nothing has changed,
I did restart but with the SIM card. Hmm, removing the SIM might be worth a try.

But before that, what do you think of this?

The relation with the clinic's network restriction or what.

I clearly remember that it started on Tuesday around noon when I was in the corridor of the medical clinic for the first time in 2 years and opened iPad to send email to my college to tell I would be late. And this message showed up. Wifi was unavailable. So I thought this annoying message might be due to their network restriction. But wired enough. It's still active.

Please let me know if you have any idea.

Pippi

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it might be too much of a coincidence to ignore. So, if taking the SIM out/resetting doesn't work, we'll consider that.

So, if no SIM doesn't help, may I ask for screen shots of some things:

(1) Your cellular settings

(2) Your WiFi settings

Then, look around in Settings to see if you can see if a profile has been installed. Generally, profiles are installed in Settins > General > Profile. If there is no profile, you won't see it. But if there is one, tap on the > arrow to see what it is. Maybe one got loaded at the clinic...?

Let's see what any of that gives up.

Marilyn

OP
P
Reaction score
I am sorry for this late reply. I did try everything you and others had suggested me but nothing changed. So I brought in to the local computer repair shop desperately. They also puzzled the situation of my iPad first but eventually they fixed it! It took for 7 days. Now my iPad works nicer than before, no more ridiculous message. I really got relief. Thank you for your concern.

pippi

Most reactions

Latest posts