What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is DELL thinking ? Ipad Fail??

Sopranosv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, there si something that is totally true and that is tha iPad created the path for the really portable and full usable tablet form factor. Every tablet out in the street, from the cheapest to the more expensive one, compare themselves to iPad, expecting to be the "iPad killer"; iPad still is the refrence. I like Android tablets, but I wasn't able to get all my needs fulfilled, so I got a 1st Gen Ipad.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Nobody seems to understand that Apple users is a niche market... And that niche will always exists whatever is available from other manufacturers. And that niche is QUALITY!

That guy seems to think that "open" means quality or great experience. And believe me, I have been a Linux user for several years. When I put money in an apple product, I know that I will get what I have paid for. I cannot say the same for Microsoft products, or Sony's products. As for Linux, it's free, I cannot complain.

How many times did I have to reinstall Windows because it was falling, or could not use a software because there was a major bug in it that never was fixed... And Sony, their MP3 player, good hardware but the SonicStage software to put music on it was just crap, crashing all the time, corrupting my mp3 player, etc...

As a Linux user, actually Ubuntu user, security was never an issue. But Android seems to be less than ideal on that level. That's really sad.

I played around with a Galaxy S cell phone that one of my friend has. On the first look, it feels great, nice looking. But soon discovered some flaws:

- Some apps are simply not working even if they are compatible with Android, but not on the Galaxy S (Skype for instance)
- There is no way to backup your phone (apps, settings, contacts, etc...)
- no backup, no restore...
- when upgrading to the last version of Android, my friend had to start from scratch, downloading all apps again, redoing the settings, etc...

So for me, Apple products is not just a trend or a name, but a guaranty that I will be satisfied. And I am a user coming from the "open" world ;)

VicoPad addict!

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
I love reading what other companies say about Apple,,,,,This one takes the cake....

Quote Apple insider today

iPad fail?

Andy Lark, Dell's global head of marketing, told Lisa Banks of CIO Australia on Tuesday that Apple's iPad will eventually succumb to Dell's Android- and Windows-based tablets because of pressure from an open enterprise market.

Lark congratulated Apple for igniting the tablet opportunity with the iPad, while predicting that the device will ultimately fall to more "open" competitors. “I couldn’t be happier that Apple has created a market and built up enthusiasm but longer term, open, capable and affordable will win, not closed, high price and proprietary,†Lark said. “[Apple has] done a really nice job, they’ve got a great product, but the challenge they’ve got is that already Android is outpacing them.

"Apple is great if you’ve got a lot of money and live on an island. It’s not so great if you have to exist in a diverse, open, connected enterprise; simple things become quite complex,†Lark added.

According to Lark, the high cost of additional accessories for the iPad makes the tablet inaccessible. “An iPad with a keyboard, a mouse and a case [means] you’ll be at $1500 or $1600; that’s double of what you’re paying," he said. "That’s not feasible.â€

Lark's figures, however, are confusing, as it is unlikely that a keyboard, mouse and case would cost the same as an iPad. For instance, purchasing Apple's leather Smart Cover, BlueTooth keyboard and Magic Mouse would cost just $207.
End quote

He thinks the ipad requires a mouse and keyboard OMG

You do realize that he's paid to provide rhetoric like this, right? He needs to prove to his CEO and investors that they have an edge and are working on a way to create their own niche. That he didn't do his homework concerning the iPad is laughable, though. His pricing is inflated AND he's unaware that the accessories he mentioned are unneeded.

Nessaj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect that Dell's marketing would go worse due to such a [beep] head......

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well hell, you may as well put down on a new car or buy an i-MAC!!!! lol not pad. Is this where the guy got the idea of using a mouse?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You do realize that he's paid to provide rhetoric like this, right? He needs to prove to his CEO and investors that they have an edge and are working on a way to create their own niche.

If I were his boss, I'd fail him on his staff evaluation. He's paid to spin the product and make sales - not score own goals for the competition.

Compare this, for instance, against Mr Lee Don-joo, VP of Samsung Mobile's frank admission that they need to go back to the drawing board. I think far more consumers appreciated his honesty.

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I played around with a Galaxy S cell phone that one of my friend has. On the first look, it feels great, nice looking. But soon discovered some flaws:

- Some apps are simply not working even if they are compatible with Android, but not on the Galaxy S (Skype for instance)
- There is no way to backup your phone (apps, settings, contacts, etc...)
- no backup, no restore...
- when upgrading to the last version of Android, my friend had to start from scratch, downloading all apps again, redoing the settings, etc...

So for me, Apple products is not just a trend or a name, but a guaranty that I will be satisfied. And I am a user coming from the "open" world ;)

VicoPad addict!

You made a decent argument in the first half but once you started talking about android it's clear that you either don't own one yourself, or haven't used one and are going by what others have said.

1. What issue did you have with skype? There are two people in my office with a Galaxy S phone (sprint and tmobile) and they both run skype just fine. It was probably user error. I run skype on my droid x and I had it on my Nexus 1, Motorolla cliq, and G1.

2. There are many ways to backup your phone. Did you look for one? Your contacts are automatically synced to your email account. There are apps you can use to backup all of your apps and system settings and restore them with the push of one or two buttons. It's very simple.

3. Your friend did it wrong then. I upgraded my droid x last night and from start to finish it took a whole 5 minutes and I was back to just the way I was before I upgraded. Contacts, settings, apps, all installed without me doing anything other than upgrading.

I could argue android and apple all day. They both have strengths and weaknesses. I own both and have had a lot of experience with both. It's all personal preference. I prefer apple for my phone and tablet needs simple because of battery life. That was the deciding factor for me. My droid x usually died before work ended with heavy use and with light use, didn't last much longer. My iphone 4 will last from the time that I wake up to the time I go to sleep with lots of battery left. That's impressive. More apps are made for apple for sure, I can tell you this easily. They also run better on the iOS devices. Words with friends for example... works pretty well on my iphone (although I have major issues that need a full reboot to fix sometimes) but crashes every other time I use it on my droid (but doesn't require a reboot). It's all in the coding really, but more time is spent on the iOS platform because there is more money to be made.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
If I were his boss, I'd fail him on his staff evaluation. He's paid to spin the product and make sales - not score own goals for the competition.

Compare this, for instance, against Mr Lee Don-joo, VP of Samsung Mobile's frank admission that they need to go back to the drawing board. I think far more consumers appreciated his honesty.

I was surprised that the VP came out himself and said that. His honest statement there let u know that the ipad2 was gonna be a big deal. Now their new galaxy tab might actually put up a good fight against apple if that honeycomb OS gets the bugs/features worked out and implemented properly. Either way, Apple has set the bar very high, it's inevitable that the iPad will have decent competition in the near future. Remember, this is just the beginning or 2nd quarter of the tablet wars..lol. This thing will go well into overtime ;-)

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was surprised that the VP came out himself and said that. His honest statement there let u know that the ipad2 was gonna be a big deal.

I think his candour - especially from a culture where publicly admitting failure is quite a big deal and could get people fired - was quite appreciated. Certainly by admitting that iPad was a better product at this point in time (i.e. what everyone already knew) Mr Lee showed a great deal more honesty and knowledge than Mr Lark's risible assertions (and by extension, the Dell brand) about the iPad.

Most reactions