What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What exactly does memory tap do?

rjleamaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipadusecases.net
Hey guys. Here is a question for some users that are more tech savvy than I am. I recently jailbroke my iPad and have been enjoying the ability to multitask using backgrounder, activator, and proswitcher. I also have been using circuitous. I have noticed that some apps use up a lot of ram and cause apps to stop backgrounding. For example, Pandora usually crashes after awhile if I am running it in the background. Will memory tap from cydia help with this? If yes, how does it work and is it safe to use?

Also, has anyone out there "supercharged" the iPad? I know people have done this with iPhones, but I don't know if it is possible for the iPad also?

stevebostedor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipadshow.com
Memory freeing applications generally flush out any non-executing memory and sometimes close out backgrounded applications. That's pretty much what that app does.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
the apps like this go in and clear out memory that it thinks is not being used or needed. When background apps die after running a memory freeing app they stop running not because memory app closed them. They stop because the memory app removed some of the memory that they were actually using and then the app crashed.

These type of apps are good if you have an app with a memory leak, where over time the one apps just starts to eat up all the memory of the device even after the app has been closed. You could then regain the lost memory space.

OP
R

rjleamaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipadusecases.net
Thanks for the feedback guys. I went ahead and downloaded memory tap. When I free up memory I have seen increases in available memory up to 30 MBs or more. It has turned out to be useful if I want to background an additional app without crashing a running one. BTW Steve, love the show.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Thanks for the feedback guys. I went ahead and downloaded memory tap. When I free up memory I have seen increases in available memory up to 30 MBs or more. It has turned out to be useful if I want to background an additional app without crashing a running one. BTW Steve, love the show.

SBSettings has the same feature to free memory.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess my question would be - are people having issues running out of available memory? I do a complete power off every day - and I've never ran into an out of memory message that I know of.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I guess my question would be - are people having issues running out of available memory? I do a complete power off every day - and I've never ran into an out of memory message that I know of.

No you shouldn't. Its more for if you have apps that waist memory and have memory leaks.

if an app has a memory leak the memory slowly gets used up and once the app closes that memory is not freed up for new apps to use.

Rebooting would have the same effect as running a app to free memory.

Timmah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you get sbsettings you can choose what you want to close. ;)

stevebostedor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipadshow.com
If you press the button to free memory in SBSettings, it will choose what to close for you. I think that you're referring to the process manager that is in SBSettings. That's a very easy way to kill out programs running in the background that may be consuming RAM. It won't free up ram orphaned by leaky programs but it's a nice tool in the box.

Timmah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you press the button to free memory in SBSettings, it will choose what to close for you. I think that you're referring to the process manager that is in SBSettings. That's a very easy way to kill out programs running in the background that may be consuming RAM. It won't free up ram orphaned by leaky programs but it's a nice tool in the box.

That's what i said only you went into more detail. Haha

Most reactions

Latest posts