What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What dual-band router are you using?

jmkiska

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a 3G'er so I still don't have my iPad, but I would like to have everything in place for when it arrives. I have an old Linksys WRT54G router that I'm thinking of replacing. Although my new iMac, MacBook Pro and iPad can use 802.11n, our iPod Touches still only use 802.11b/g, so I'm thinking of switching to a dual-band router. With all of the discussions going on about the iPad WiFi "issues", I was wondering which dual-band routers are working the best with the iPad?

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Linksys WRT600N. I'm hoping it wont be an issue for me but since it has 2 radios. I can always name the b/g radio a different name so the ipad doesnt get confused. Now if I could just get my 3G already then I can find out.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Apple Airport Extreme. So far I haven't had any issues with it.

One of the things I really like about it is that I can setup two networks on it. The first is my private network. The second is a public network that only shares my Internet connection. It is great to have a network guests can connect to without worrying that they will see any of my personal files.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 2Wire for Uverse, I am connected to the wireless connection from the 2wire although i am using base station with my HP printer.

LMControl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got one of those D-Link dual band routers and used to have issues with my Mac Book Pro with it about a year ago. Once I forced it into one-band mode I've never had another problem with WiFi for any of my devices.

Since last Saturday with the iPad, I've experienced no issues whatsoever. It's deadly quick! :)

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Cisco WRT610N, I am running the iPad on the N connection (I named them differently so I could tell which was which) and it is very quick.

Only thing on my N connection is my Mac Book Pro and the iPad.

rtking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the Linksys WRT54GX4 and it worked pretty well, but my iPhone never really linked up to it well. I changed to two Airport Extreme Base Stations (using one as a repeater.). I realized quickly that I didn't need two AEBS as one easily out-performed the Linksys. Having two now means that I have zero "dead areas" in my tri-level townhouse. I have full signal strength in every room and both patios, and all my laptops and the iPhone connect and have much faster upload/download speeds than with the Linksys.

Buckeyechuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a dlink dir655 router. I did have problems with the connection until I updated router firmware. So far it has worked great!

OP
J

jmkiska

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I was thinking of an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station but that is another $150 on top of the 64GB-3G iPad. It sounds like almost any dual-band router will will as long as you set it up correctly by naming the two networks differently.

I guess the next question is are they any routers that you would NOT recommend?

rtking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I picked-up my Airport Extreme base stations from eBay for $75 (each) including shipping. After my experience with them, they are worth the $150 retail price IMO. I think other routers work fine, but if you can snag a AEBS off eBay for <$80, I think you'd be pretty happy with the performance vs cost.

Most reactions

Latest posts