What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Does IOS 7 Do BETTER??

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPad2 with 6.1.3 and only see things that 7 does "differently" on the iPad2..... Not necessarily better --- just a different way of doing the same thing......and not necessarily easier either.
My brother had a problem and took his to the store and they upgraded his while he was there. I used his for about an hour and see a lot of screen looks that are different but do not really see anything that I actually do that is really better or different or anything added that gives the iPad more features...
And it seems to both of us that his iPad2 is slower with the IOS 7 upgrade - not faster, as some people have stated. It is taking his iPad longer to load some websites on Safari it seems.
I probably am missing something, and am not as versed in the use as some others and probably do not use a lot of the features that some on here do...but for my own personal use, I do not see anything new and unique except a new look at doing the same things 6.1.3 would do. What do I need 7 for?

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPad2 running iOS7. The upgrade has improved Reminders. It was a real nuisance for me before, that I was unable to reorder the reminders lists, or the items within each list, and now I can do both prioritising things to suit me.

The calendar is improved for me, as I can now scroll continuously back and forward through the months instead of having to swipe to a new month. This is much easier for referring back to previous dates. It is also simpler to add events, as all the data can be entered in one go.

Really, the only thing I have found not to like is the lack of all day events in the notification centre which is a big fail, and all the whiteness, but I think I'll grow to stop noticing that soon. I also can't set a wallpaper with my 'if found' details on it like I had before, even using the tips suggested on this forum. Small niggles, nothing more, and hopefully things that will be sorted soon.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are some things I think the iPad on ios 7 does "better" than an iPad on iOS 6 or lower:

(1) The Notification Center is not this horrifically ugly iPhone-size thing that comes down in the middle of the iPad screen. It's a solid sheet that fits the iPad screen, now. More aesthetically pleasing, yes, but that other really annoyed me. :)

(2) Speaking of the Notification Center - it now shows me weather info, similar to the iPhone. Not as fancy, granted, but still ... there's something.

(3) I like the new way to use the multitasking: a four-finger swipe gets me a card-like carousel that I can swipe through to look at my open apps (I can even read the info on the "cards"!). Then, I can easily swipe up to dismiss the app fully. Much easier, IMHO, than trying to press a little red minus sign with my finger.

(4) The Control Center! With a simple swipe up from the bottom of the screen, I can access the switches for Bluetooth, volume, brightness, airplane mode, WiFi, rotation lock (or mute), the clock, camera and Airplay. Oh, and it can control the starting/stopping of my music, all without leaving the app I'm in. Me likes that!

(6) I like that Spotlight is accessible on any screen versus having to swipe all the way to the leftmost screen. Saves a bit of time and it's very responsive.

(7) Oh, and the fact that folders can contain more than 20 apps? Wonderful!

Those are just a few things off the top of my head that make this iOS 7 improved over iOS 6. I am sure there are more I will think of later - and other fold will have their own ideas.

As always, YMMV. But, I like the improvements.

Marilyn

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Marilyn Now I just feel silly for missing so many of those out. I totally agree about the command centre (doh for forgetting that one), and swoosh up to close an app feature. Love those too and definitely an improvement on before.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To add to Mickey330 excellent list....

Maps under iOS 7 is now as good if not better than Google Maps on Android. For the first time ever I no longer keep an Android device in my car.

Photos. Love the new Collections view point. Especially because it integrates your Camera Roll, all albums and the Photo Stream in a very concise manner.

Text sizing control. Under Settings > General > Text Sizing you can set a Dynamic Type size that will be used by all apps that respect the setting. Currently all of the Apple apps and Flipboard use it. I hope to see more apps using this wonderful feature soon.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll also add to Marilyn and Skull with a much improved rendering of iPhone apps......

image-3068925093.jpg

image-1773367289.jpg

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Didn't even think to check that feature out. Will have to play with that tonight. :D

I think it may require the apps to be updated, the best I've seen so far is the Apple Store app, it now looks stunning on my iPad Mini where as it was just a fuzzy little mess before.

The Archangel

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think it may require the apps to be updated, the best I've seen so far is the Apple Store app, it now looks stunning on my iPad Mini where as it was just a fuzzy little mess before.

The Archangel

Any iPhone app that is setup for Retina display should utilize the new code. Since that would be the best way to scale the app properly.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
(6) I like that Spotlight is accessible on any screen versus having to swipe all the way to the leftmost screen. Saves a bit of time and it's very responsive.

No more ending up in Spotlight when I meant to double-click the home button but single-clicked instead :)

I've also noticed my iPhone 5 and iPad 4 being a bit faster.

Rojas4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For one I can now use my Redbox iPhone app in full screen with sharp text and high resolution graphics on my iPad mini.
A lot of apps are not available for iPads this is a great option in iOS 7

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to add another which I just came across. Wish List in the App Store......

image-3342112308.jpg

image-3858010565.jpg

Is there a downside, well maybe just a little one as it appears that you can only add paid apps to the wish list.....

image-1292700038.jpg

It's not a massive issue as you can download free apps at no cost but sometimes I'm researching apps and it would be nice to add the free ones to the wish list too until I'm certain which one I want but hey, I'm still pleased that they have added this feature and it's yet another step forwards.

The Archangel

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here' something I found that's "new" (you can decide if it's better or not).

If you are logged in to Twitter via the Settings app, you can access your Twitter feed via Safari. If you open the Bookmarks icon (the book like icon), here's what you see:

y7aqu4eb.jpg

Well, I think it's better ... and pretty cool!

Marilyn

Most reactions