What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think you'll use your iPad for?

jgumphress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
umphress.web.officelive.com
If I could run excell on the iPad, then maybe I would still have my data. So frustrating, never use a toy for business and expect it to be serious.

You can run MS Excell. Get Documents-to-Go by Dataviz and sync all of your MS Word, Excell, Powerpoint effortlesly. You can even lock individual spread sheets before syncing them and they will not open on the iPad untill you put in the pass word for that spread sheet. You can also create new docs. on the fly right on the iPad. I have used this app for years on Palm devices. They know what they are doing.

ion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i puchased it last week mainly for reading websites and PDF's. i have a huge collection of e-mags like MAD and Atariage, some 10 gigs worth or more. Its nice to beable to lay down in bed and read stuff like a book.

i also play chess on it. i got shredder chess and chess online. the FICS chess one i purchased i quickly deleted...wish i could have demoed it first.

Jessicaem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work for a design/build contractor and use my iPad every day. It is not only my calendar and email when I am on the road, but I also use Logmein to access my computer at the office to view old emails, documents and drawings.

I use Pages to type my site meeting minutes, and I both edit and distribute the minutes directly from the iPad. I also use Pages to record deficiencies during final walkthroughs and immediately PDF them to the site super (no more waiting until I get back to the office, typing them up and mailing them out).

Adobe Ideas is perfect for marking up drawings on site. I convert my PDFs to JPEGS and sync them to my iDisk, copy to the iPad's native album and import to Ideas. Sounds complicated, but it only takes a minute and this allows me to quickly and legibly mark up drawings in multiple colours and distribute them in PDF to my trades and supers.

I also use iBooks for reading and searching RFPs on site.

dvmweb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use mine as most of above. Internet, email, weather, etc.

I'd really like to use it as a music accompianist. Like Band in the Box, only by itself. I use BiB on desktop but would like a stand alone on the iPad. I've looked. Ideas.

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For me, there are a number of areas where an IPad (waiting on one to arrive) would benefit me. I am not one to be much into gaming, or downloading movies, but will be quite keen on surfing & emailing when away from home. As a photographer, I also plan to use the IPad as a presentational tool for clients. Another thing that I find quite appetizing is the fact that there is a app (only $8) which would afford remote capturing of my photographic efforts. Aside from these mentioned, I am sure that there will be much more that I will find such a unit to allow me to do.

womp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, there are a number of areas where an IPad (waiting on one to arrive) would benefit me. I am not one to be much into gaming, or downloading movies, but will be quite keen on surfing & emailing when away from home. As a photographer, I also plan to use the IPad as a presentational tool for clients. Another thing that I find quite appetizing is the fact that there is a app (only $8) which would afford remote capturing of my photographic efforts. Aside from these mentioned, I am sure that there will be much more that I will find such a unit to allow me to do.

My friend, who's a photographer uses an app called, ShutterSnitch for transferring raw photos that he takes in the studio to clients holding an iPad in the waiting room, or right there in the studio, who can then give instant feedback on the shots. The app is $16. You'll also need a file-transmitter card, such as Eye-Fi for your camera, and a local wireless network but he says that it's been a great marketing tool.

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My friend, who's a photographer uses an app called, ShutterSnitch for transferring raw photos that he takes in the studio to clients holding an iPad in the waiting room, or right there in the studio, who can then give instant feedback on the shots. The app is $16. You'll also need a file-transmitter card, such as Eye-Fi for your camera, and a local wireless network but he says that it's been a great marketing tool.

I guess I had gotten confused about the program, but ShutterSnitch is definitely the app that I had made reference to. Still, at $16, it is a far cry cheaper than I had expected to find. The next order of business will be within getting that Eye-Fi card for my cameras.

iDevice.mobi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Koula said:
The iPad is very terrible for business. In fact, using this for business is like bringing a flourescant plastic fake toy computer to a serious business presentation, then being surprised when it doesn't contain your presentations.

One simple achilles heal - the iPad killer for business is:

NO PASSWORD ABILITY TO PROTECT APPS, SPREADSHEETS, etc.

I lost 2 months of data in numbers because it was easily, effortlessly delete by my 23 month old toddler who enjoys playing games on the iPad. The fact that a vital app could be whisked away at the stroke of a finger, along with all it's data, is absurdly ridiculous.

The iPad for business is simply playing with fire. Get a more serious device.

Many apps have password protection.GoodReader which is a must have for every iPad owner has password.You can set auto sync to all WebDAV servers,how would anybody delete without your permission?

Uploading files on different WebDAV servers and then downloading to different apps or zipping together is easier and secure.

I don't know what kind of business you are into, but I work and also doing professional course and iPad is my life saver. It's amazing to create keynote on iPad and sync with box.net,Dropbox in a flash.
Best part is it saves all the email attachment at one place and document saved in one app is accessible from any other app.

Joining meeting remotely on iPad is spectacular.
When connected to projector while delivering a presentation,you can touch highlight any important fact or figure which is pretty sleek.

App can't be deleted with one stroke,you need to tap and hold and then tap again the "X" and then it will ask if your really want to delete if you select "Yes" then finally it will be deleted.Do you really have an iPad ?

Even if app is deleted ,files that are saved in servers won't be affected, and all the professionals save files in different apps and servers.

Many big corporates are incorporating iPad into their business,in healthcare iPads have made significant inroads. I am myself in healthcare so I know how important is this device is.

Reaction score
I use my iPad to create, manage and share my documents

Those of us who have taken the plunge into the seemingly clear waters of Apple technology for the very first time, by departing from the so-called security, flexibility and well understood environment of a portable PC running Microsoft Windows, such PC knowledge and dependency having been nurtured over several decades, and are early adopters of the gorgeous, sleek and ultra-cool Apple iPad, like myself, may well have encountered a cooler and more turbid aquatic experience than first imagined, particularly in matters of file management under the iOS4 operating system.

That is not to say in any way that the iPad experience overall is less less I in particular had initially hoped for; quite the opposite, the iPad is in fact a joy to hold and a delight on which to express creative urges, far more so than a Microsoft/PC juggernaut could ever dream of achieving.

I would like to take a moment or two of my readers time now to describe the approach I take to creating and managing documents on my iPad, sharing these documents with particular people through the internet cloud service offered by Google Docs, and archiving documents with Google Docs. The approach can be taken on the iPad alone, it does not require access to a PC, which is the whole point of my purchasing an iPad in the first place.

I am becoming quite a user and admirer of the flexibility and convenience of holding a single user name and password and accessing completely free Google services managed through a sole Google Account; in my particular case I use Google Mail for all of my email, Flickr for my photograph albums, Blogger for journal entries like this missive and Google Docs, not for document creation, but for archival, transfer of documents between iPad Apps that allow assess to cloud services, and document sharing with groups of people or at the individual person level.

I create my Notes using the iPad NoteMaster App, which allows synchronisation of my notes with the Google Docs cloud service; my Documents are created using the Pages App, mainly because it provides a tidy way of inserting graphics into my text, even though Pages and the following App Numbers are rather limited in their ability to share output with other Apps on my iPad, they use email to post documents to oneself, as the solution to this requirement; my spreadsheets are created using the Numbers App; my documents are managed on my iPad in a single place through the FileApp Pro App; and finally my documents are synchronised between my iPad and Google Docs using the Docs to Go Premium App.

If I wish to share one of my documents with a particular group of people, each of whom have different needs regarding viewing and editing this document, *wish to archive the document in a remote place like the internet cloud, and wish to synchronise versions of this document with my iPad, *then I employ a workflow that initially unzips the document and sends it by mail to my Google Mail account; then, using the Safari browser on the iPad opens the mail account with a desktop, not a mobile, view, the switch between views being located at the bottom of the mail list in Google Mail; then, view the document in Google Mail, Google Docs being automatically initiated as a viewer at this point; then, switch from Google Docs mobile to desktop view, the switch being located at the bottom of the Google Docs page; then, set the access rights, view or edit, for each person in the group by entering their email addresses and send an email message to each member of the group alerting them to the availability of the document; then, finally, using the Docs to Go Premium App synchronise versions of the document that have been edited by group members and transfer these versions back to the FileApp Pro App for iPad archival.

A simple technique, maybe not at first reading, but when you get the hang of it the method works well; and as far as the monetary cost of the Apps mentioned in this blog are concerned, I regard the USD47 outlay for NoteMaster (USD3.99), Pages and Numbers (USD9.99 each), FileApp Pro (USD4.99) and Docs to Go Premium (USD17.99) as a very small price to pay, for peace of mind resulting from proper document mangement, and compared to many serious Windows Apps.

Best wishes, Peter Holland

Awais261

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Second to that, on plane flights as a movie platform it will be nice as the screen size is great and the battery life will beat even my 17" Macbook Pro.I need quick access from someones desk. Then of course, there's sitting on the couch reading the news and generally browsing the web to keep up with the world, reading books, of course. Playing solitaire during those long boring conference calls, and using it to keep notes of stuff I need to take out of meetings.

jollywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
<snip>.... and using it to keep notes of stuff I need to take out of meetings.

Awais261, what app do you use for notetaking? I have downloaded a couple more apps since I last posted on the forum, but still have not found anything nearly as functional as on a tablet PC. Some of my apps have a 'wristguard' feature. But even with wrist guard on, I find that I get tons of marks all over the screen, and I have to write far too large for my liking. Penultimate is the latest one that I donwloaded - and the best so far. But I am still looking for one that is really good.

Most reactions