What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you reading now?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re-reading Orwells 1984. Hard to believe it was written in the 40’s

I had to revisit this book after watching Northern Ballet's version of it on iPlayer in UK.
I remember there was a new edition of the book published in 1984 and a movie based on the book and starring John Hurt was released.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just finished "Master Walk" by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller.

I'll probably read "Cains's Mutiny" by Charles E. Gannon next. It's the fourth book in a series; only available as an eARC at the moment.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just finished "Master Walk" by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller.

I'll probably read "Cains's Mutiny" by Charles E. Gannon next. It's the fourth book in a series; only available as an eARC at the moment.
I've never read one of the eARC books but I have many older proof and advance reading copies in my collection. This one, which I enjoyed, is Lord Valentine's Castle.
IMG_2303.JPG

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've never read one of the eARC books but I have many older proof and advance reading copies in my collection. This one, which I enjoyed, is Lord Valentine's Castle.
View attachment 75216

A classic.

I didn't even know about ARCs, let alone eARCs until I started buying from Baen. The back end of nowhere doesn't usually get those kind of perks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A classic.

I didn't even know about ARCs, let alone eARCs until I started buying from Baen. The back end of nowhere doesn't usually get those kind of perks.
I purchased this copy in the dealers room at the World Science Fiction Convention. Among other sellers it has the largest concentration of science fiction book dealers you'll ever find in one place. Many sell classics and rare editions, including manuscripts, proofs, and advance reading copies. The convention is also the best place to meet your favourite authors. For example, I've met Sharon Lee and Steve Miller several times as well as Robert Silverberg who autographed the proof copy of Lord Valentine's Castle for me.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I purchased this copy in the dealers room at the World Science Fiction Convention. Among other sellers it has the largest concentration of science fiction book dealers you'll ever find in one place. Many sell classics and rare editions, including manuscripts, proofs, and advance reading copies. The convention is also the best place to meet your favourite authors. For example, I've met Sharon Lee and Steve Miller several times as well as Robert Silverberg who autographed the proof copy of Lord Valentine's Castle for me.

I'd love to go to a science fiction convention, but my budget doesn't allow for both buying lots of books and going to conventions. :)

Still, one day I'll probably make it happen, at least once.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd love to go to a science fiction convention, but my budget doesn't allow for both buying lots of books and going to conventions. :)

Still, one day I'll probably make it happen, at least once.
You'll have to keep an eye out to see when the next one is in the Pacific North-West.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mick Herron

I came across the books of Mick Herron recently, particularly the Slough House series.

For anyone who followed the UK TV series Spooks, about MI5 and 6, the books cover a group of spies who failed or offended in one way or another at the head office (not the Spooks Grid, but similar) and were sent to work at Slough House, a building in London, on menial, boring jobs with the hope that they will give up and resign, hence saving the complex and costly process of firing them. Their boss, who knows where some 'bodies' are 'buried' is a pretty obnoxious character, (Again UK TV, but if you know Dalziel and Pascoe, then the late Warren Clarke would have made an excellent choice for Jackson Lamb, the boss, to my mind. Great actor; missed.)

There are four books so far and one in the pipeline for 2017: Slow Horses (a play on the words Slough House), Dead Lions, Real Tigers and The List (a short story)

Slow Horses appeared in the Daily Telegraph’s list of “the twenty greatest spy novels of all time”.

Mick Herron has won and/ or has been nominated for several prizes for the series. Great writing and great fun: had me laughing a lot

Most reactions