What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you reading now?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few books are already loaded to the Kindle app in my iPad. Since my internet connection is terrible, when I'm in my room, I started reading one of them:
Oasis, by Dima Zales and Anna Zaires.
It's the first book of The Last Humans Books series.
As expected, this book is not different to the others I've read from both authors. It captivates as soon as you start reading.

Oasis is the last habitable place on Earth. It's meant to be a paradise, but Theo, the main character, shows that it's not. He's hearing a voice in his head, Phoe (pronounced Fee). He thinks it's a kind of imaginary friend or delusion, which shouldn't be possible any more, because there's no illness, whatsoever.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Right now, I'm reading "Arkwright" by Allen Steele.

The book starts with the death of (fictional) science fiction author Nathan Arkwright, and partially tells his story, starting with the very first Worldcon in New York in 1939, where he meets Margaret, Harry and George. They become lifelong friends and call themselves "Legion of Tomorrow".

It's interesting that Steele mixes historical events and people (Worldcon, Asimov, ...) with fiction. He mentions his fictional character (Nat Arkwright) as one of the "big four" science fiction authors. The other three are Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke and Robert Heinlein.

I've started reading yesterday, so I'm not really far yet, but I like the book. The mixture of fact and fiction is what fascinates me.

Last edited:

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I finished my reading of nearly all of the Maigret books, although a couple still to locate. I then tried Dirty Snow also by Georges Simenon, but it is a very depressing read, so I gave up half way through.

Next: To the Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolf, which I am reading in fits and spurts. Really it needs to be read continuosly as there is little action or speech, more the thoughts of the characters. Reading a few pages in bed is not ideal.

Next: The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson. An excellent book, for a British reader anyway and had be giggling away on almost every page. I am not sure how our quirkiness will be understood by those who do not know the country and the people. From Amazon: Twenty years ago, Bill Bryson went on a trip around Britain to celebrate the green and kindly island that had become his adopted country. The hilarious book that resulted, Notes from a Small Island, was taken to the nation’s heart and became the bestselling travel book ever, and was also voted in a BBC poll the book that best represents Britain.Now, to mark the twentieth anniversary of that modern classic, Bryson makes a brand-new journey round Britain to see what has changed.

Finally I am rereading A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. Another excellent and very funny/ amusing book. (Btw, I gather that the Sweish Ove is pronounced 'Oover'.) I can relate to Ove a lot, but I am not saying in what way, and I can see a lot of leg pulling when my wife reads it. (Now made into a Swedish movie with the excellent Rolf LassgÄrd.)

From Simon and Schuster: Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn’t walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.

A feel-good story in the spirit of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, Fredrik Backman’s novel about the angry old man next door is a thoughtful exploration of the profound impact one life has on countless others. “If there was an award for ‘Most Charming Book of the Year,’ this first novel by a Swedish blogger-turned-overnight-sensation would win hands down” (Booklist, starred review).

Happy reading

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am re-reading Lines of Departure by Marko Kloos. It is the second book in Kloos' Frontlines series. There are four books with the 4th being just released. There are also two novellas that go along with the books that fleshes out some characters or adds more to the fictional universe. As it's been a while since I read the last book in the series, I figured I'd start from the beginning so I'm all caught up when I get to the latest book.

I forgot (kinda) how good this series is! From Kloos's Wiki entry: "Featuring the protagonist Andrew Grayson, [Frontlines is] set in a future in which a Western and an Eastern power bloc are at war with each other and with an alien threat."

Honestly a great read and I can't recommend them enough. It's kinda killing me that I decided to re-read the series first - cause I want to read the just-released book so badly to find out what's new. But, I'll get there ...

Marilyn

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Redommended by my colleagues:
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared, by Jonas Jonasson

It's supposed to be funny. Just started reading.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Recommended by my colleagues:
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared, by Jonas Jonasson

It's supposed to be funny. Just started reading.

I read that several months ago and really enjoyed it and I have 'Hitman Anders and the Meaning of It All' waiting to be read.

Currently I have just started 'I hate the Internet' by Jarett Kobek. After over 20 years of exploring and using the net, the title caught my eye.So far quirky, but interesting.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have just finished Mothering Sunday by Graham Swift. A fairly short book, of some 77 pages, and very well worth a read as it is excellent. (I came across it via a BBC radio book programme.)

From goodreads.com:-

'Twenty-two year old Jane Fairchild, orphaned at birth, has worked as a maid at one English country estate since she was sixteen. And for almost all of those years she has been the secret lover to Paul Sheringham, the scion of the estate next door. On an unseasonably warm March afternoon, Jane and Paul will make love for the last time--though not, as Jane believes, because Paul is about to be married--and the events of the day will alter Jane's life forever. As the narrative moves back and forth from 1924 to the end of the century, what we know and understand about Jane--about the way she loves, thinks, feels, sees, remembers--deepens with every beautifully wrought moment. Her story is one of profound self-discovery and through her, Graham Swift has created an emotionally soaring and deeply affecting work of fiction.'

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Listening to an audiobook.
image.png

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Back again, this time with The Radium Girls by Kate Moore. I remember as a child, in the 50s, being told of the dangers of luminous watches, but this is about the girls in the USA who put the radium based paint on the watch faces in the 1910/20s. I am only a quarter of the way into it, but truly horrifying but important read.

From the Wiki on the radium girls
'
The Radium Girls were female factory workers who contracted radiation poisoning from painting watch dials with self-luminous paint at the United States Radium factory in Orange, New Jersey, around 1917. The women, who had been told the paint was harmless, ingested deadly amounts of radium by licking their paintbrushes to give them a fine point; some also painted their fingernails, face, and teeth with the glowing substance.

Five of the women challenged their employer in a case that established the right of individual workers who contract occupational diseases to sue their employers.'

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm reading "The Fireman: A Novel", by Joe Hill. The book was published this year.

Here's part of the story, that's what I've been reading so far:
The action in this book takes place in a world where a plague called Dragonscale infects people. It's highly contagious, and no one can cure it. Nobody knows where it came from. You notice that you're infected when you see it's marks: black ornaments with gold. Those who suffer from Dragonscale, go up in flames - literally.

One of the main characters is Harper Grayson, a nurse who tries helping infected people, until the hospital, where she works, burns down. She gets pregnant and discovers the marks of that disease on her body. Knowing that people with Dragonscale live about three months, at the most, she decides she'll try to give birth to that baby. Her husband thinks she infected him and tries to kill her, but with the assistance of the fireman, (see title) she escapes, and learns how to control the disease.

It's an interesting story, and once you start reading you can't stop.

Most reactions

Latest posts