What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird battery issue

RudyN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPad Air2 I will be looking at a page and all of a sudden the iPad will show that my battery is almost drained and it shuts down. I plug it in to the wall charger and the iPad shows about 60% still remaining on the battery. I am assuming that this means that the battery is now getting to the end of its life, right?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On my iPad Air2 I will be looking at a page and all of a sudden the iPad will show that my battery is almost drained and it shuts down. I plug it in to the wall charger and the iPad shows about 60% still remaining on the battery. I am assuming that this means that the battery is now getting to the end of its life, right?
Hi Rudy - as stated, your battery in that Air2 has likely aged - the device was first released in late 2014. Battery health is determined by how much charge the battery can hold vs. when new and the number of cycles (i.e. full discharges/recharges) - Apple claims that a battery after 500 cycles should have 80% battery health (Source).

The health and cycle count of your battery can be tested w/ CoconutBattery, a free app at the link if you have an Apple computer (or can use a friend's device?) - if not, an Apple store or qualified Apple dealer can determined the health likely at no charge. As an example, below is the app looking at my iPad Pro's battery which is nearly 3 years old - battery health is 90% and cycles are 475 - if you do have the Air2 tested and cycles are well over 500 and health much below 80%, then a new battery or better yet a more modern iPad model is in order. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 4.35.22 PM.png

OP
R

RudyN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I will have it tested at the local apple store and see. Both my laptop and desktop computers are windows. This was a present from my wife a few years ago. I will buy a new iPad f this one is too far gone. Also get a keyboard [emoji106][emoji41]

OP
R

RudyN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to my local Apple store and instead of having the battery tested I bought a new 5th generation iPad Air. It is the 256GB model. Boy does it run nice [emoji106]. Also bought the folio with the keyboard. Now I will have to get used to it, but it is pretty close to my old Air2.

Most reactions

Latest posts