What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watching live TV on iPad?

Annorax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an iPad 1 64GB model. I subscribe to Comcast and have their Xfinity TV app and it works OK but I'm open to and looking for other solutions for watching TV when I am out.

Is there a way to watch live TV and local news channels on the iPad?

I know many TV channels each have their own apps - do I need to download so many apps (one for each channel) or is there a consolidated app that plays all of them (aside from things like the Xfinity TV app which I have).

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, you have a Wi-Fi only iPad, i.e. the first model - thus to stream video live will require an active Wi-Fi connection, so not sure what you mean by 'when I am out'? In the absence of a wireless connection, you would have to store the video on your device - please clarify the question asked. Dave :)

OP
Annorax

Annorax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry - by out I mean not at home but still with access to Wifi, ie at a hotel or something similar. I'm not looking to store videos on the iPad but rather stream live TV or TV shows over Wifi.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're in the U.S. There's Hulu, a subscription streaming service.

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have directv and have lots of live program choices on my iPad. But having all the cable and satellite providers available for use would be financially impossible for me

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can buy external TV tuners for the iPad. The tuner picks up the broadcast TV signals out of the air like a regular TV set and then feeds them to the iPad. You'll need to connect it to a proper TV antenna, or to the coaxial cable supplied by your cable or satellite provider.

Here's a link to one manufacturer. http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_broadway.html -- I don't know how good it is... Do a Google search for "iPad TV tuner" and you'll find more.

emandino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an iPad 1 64GB model. I subscribe to Comcast and have their Xfinity TV app and it works OK but I'm open to and looking for other solutions for watching TV when I am out.

Is there a way to watch live TV and local news channels on the iPad?

I know many TV channels each have their own apps - do I need to download so many apps (one for each channel) or is there a consolidated app that plays all of them (aside from things like the Xfinity TV app which I have).

I use Plex. It is a media server that helps you keep your personal media organized and also allows you to access and watch TV shows, movies, news, etc. It works across all operating systems, clients work on most devices, over WIFI or G3/4 connections. The Plex Media Server and Plex Home Theater for hard drives is free, the portable devices (as in iPad) App cost $5.99. Thou, 2 or 3 times a year, the price drops to $1.99.

I'll recommend that before you download the App visit www.plex.tv on your Safari and learn more about it.

Good luck

Most reactions