What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watching DVD's on iPad

sash777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bit of a novice when it comes to iPad but pretty much sold on getting the 2nd Gen later this month.

Was wondering though - I have a pretty big DVD collection that I'd be interested in accessing through iPad. Is it possible to strea movies from my DVD player (which is Bluetooth) in one room to my iPlayer in another room. Do I need Apple TV to do this or is it just not possible at all?

I'm not completely put off by ripping DVD's individually and transferring through iTunes - but if there's a streaming alternative I'd love to know about it.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good news and bad news!! OK - let's get the bad news out of the way first - you can't stream via Bluetooth to the iPad. The iPad's Bluetooth implementation has only limited functionality and supports only Keyboards, Headsets/stereo etc. No support for mice (naturally), PCs or DVD players.

Now the good news..streaming video via WiFi is certainly an option

Use AirVideo To Stream Videos To Your iPad « The iPad Show

StreamToMe Review: Stream Music and Videos to Your iPad

are just two options and I'm sure Forum membes will have their own favourite solutions.

Welcome to the Forum...hope to hear from you soon

Tim
Scotland

iKarnt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.adapt.com.au
Optical media is dead

You have a large DVD collection? Well you own them, and in most countries you have the right to backup those dvd's, so start there, go out and get a 1 pr 2 tb drive, and rip each of them to a file, then use VLCStreamer to stream your DVDs,

Australia.

OP
S

sash777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers guys - very helpful, those links look brilliant. Can't wait to get my hands on this now... :)

OP
S

sash777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the way - one more question - if I were to hold a few movies on the iPad's memory itself for viewing on planes etc - is the 16gb likely to be too small? WIth Apps, some music etc I was thinking of going 32gb.

Reaction score
sash777 said:
By the way - one more question - if I were to hold a few movies on the iPad's memory itself for viewing on planes etc - is the 16gb likely to be too small? WIth Apps, some music etc I was thinking of going 32gb.

Itunes movies tend to be around 2GB in SD.

So the 32 GB device will be the better option, especially if you also want to have space for music, as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts