What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVD conversion woes...

Alixen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heya.

Got my iPad about two months ago but never really used it for videos. I used a low-ish quality copy of Lord of the Rings FotR converted with the free PS3 Video Converter. It looked okay; but the proportions were off and the sound low.

YouTube videos in HD look great to the point of being as good and better than my HD computer screen (albiet much smaller).

However, being the manchild that I am, I just bought all three seasons of the Avatar: The Last Airbender series with the plans to convert them all to okay-quality mp4.

Directly ripping them using Aiseesoft DVD Converter Suite into .mp4 and in the iPad resolution (1024-by-768) ended up with 650mb per 20-minute episode, and the quality was unwatchable. Being an animation the hard-lines that make up the characters and scenery need to be sharp; alas they were blurred, fragmented, and just icky looking. They seemedto 'vibrate' in a way i'm sure would give me a migrane after an episode or two.

So massive files and unwatchable. Thing is; i'm wonderign if the quality problem is that the DVDs are actually too 'big' to be effectivly converted into iPad resolution?

I'm just looking for advice and perhaps tips to converting my DVDs to a small and watchable iPad format. I am occasionally awed by the quality of an impressible 720p YouTube vid; but i'd be happy with terestrial TV quality.

Don't suppose a kidn soul could offer advice?

Last edited:

volcanopele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a combination of RipIt4Me and DVD Decrypter to copy the DVD to my hard drive and then Handbrake to convert the hard drive copy of the DVD to a format the iPad can use. It has a preset for the iPad, though I would recommend playing with the quality settings. I use 1953 kbps as an average bit rate for live action video and 1653 kbps for animation.

Most reactions

Latest posts