What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waited in line, got IPad 2, probably will return it

Status
Not open for further replies.

jizmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've thought of jailbreaking (aka "rooting"). It probably would give me more of what I want.

But I was reading today how Apple disabled the latest IPad 2 jailbreak. So not knowing much about it, I'm given the impression that it's a constant battle between breaking and patching, like virus and antivirus software.

Thanks for the post.

IMHO Android still seems kinda lame and half baked. Ipad, has some limitations sure, but damn, sure does a heck of a lot right.

mx1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please tell me what single Android phone outsells the iphone.

MX1, that same question could be asked about the "single computer that outsells a Mac".

Not the relevant question. Apple computers are GREAT. But the WIntel computers define the mass market.

but....we are not talking about computers are we. You are talking about tablets and smart phone OS, not even the phones just the OS.

and I agree all the Windows based computers in the market out sell the single source Mac.....

SouthernGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mx1 said:
but....we are not talking about computers are we. You are talking about tablets and smart phone OS, not even the phones just the OS.

and I agree all the Windows based computers in the market out sell the single source Mac.....

Yup. Tebletfan if you look at he numbers your talking about the android OS dominating the market ( 27-28%) but thats many many devices. Where iphone is on one device and has a 16-17% market share. That to me impresses me more than the android and is why they will never catch up. Now if android can make a single device/model that popular i'd look into buying one. Like Demandarin has mentioned there is a new device coming from android. Can it sell as many and become as popular as the iphone? We shall see.

OP
T

tebletfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If we're talking "just the OS", then Android wins. Even now. Not even counting the momentum on Android's side.

Your point about hardware is true, but not really relevant. Apple sells more IPhone hardware than any other smartphone out there. But that was the same for Apple computer hardware. The hundreds of licensed WIntel computers all combined outnumbered Apple by a vast number. But it would be hard to pick ONE WIntel computer model that outsold Apple hardware.

In any case, thank you all for your comments. Was just baring my soul here a bit, and for the most part got some great insight. I came here wondering if there was something I was missing in regards to my disappointments with how closed IPads seem to me. Apparently there's not, and that's OK. I can understand how so many people would like their IPads. Just not me. Yet.

Enjoy your IPads!

SouthernGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tebletfan said:
If we're talking "just the OS", then Android wins. Even now. Not even counting the momentum on Android's side.

Your point about hardware is true, but not really relevant. Apple sells more IPhone hardware than any other smartphone out there. But that was the same for Apple computer hardware. The hundreds of licensed WIntel computers all combined outnumbered Apple by a vast number. But it would be hard to pick ONE WIntel computer model that outsold Apple hardware.

In any case, thank you all for your comments. Was just baring my soul here a bit, and for the most part got some great insight. I came here wondering if there was something I was missing in regards to my disappointments with how closed IPads seem to me. Apparently there's not, and that's OK. I can understand how so many people would like their IPads. Just not me. Yet.

Enjoy your IPads!

But where the PC market computers get better software support than Macs.... just the opposite is true with the smartphones/tablets currently. There are more developers supporting apple now than android. As eveident with the imbalance in apps for either one. Again the software makes the device. I'd have all apple computers in my house if they had the same vast library of software the PC has and all new software that is released was done at the same time for both platforms.

But in the end this is whats so great about these forums. People having opinions about things they feel strongly about and passionately standing their ground. It all boils down to what you like and freedom of choice. Its great we get the choices. I hope you get your wish some day. It only benefits us both. Competition is great for consumers :)

mx1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have nothing against Android at all, as a matter of fact, with the new Smartphone Push that the US Military is ramping up for, when given the choice I will choose an Android phone, I like what it is for what it is...

What I dont get, is how people out there compare the marker share of the Android OS with the iPhone handset....this would be a valid comparison if the Android OS was handcuffed to a single handset like iOS is with the iPhone.

Do you think that Android would be out selling the iPhone if was only offered on the EVO? Maybe, I dont know but that would be a fair comparison, dont you agree?

The same could be said for Mac computers, if you were to take all the Mac laptop models and compair them side by side with all the Dell laptop models, the numbers wold be a lot closer. But when you take the many makers of Windows based computers and add them all up, then place then next the Mac....well it is a bit lopsided.

I am really sorry that the iPad was to closed for you. Or...maybe you were to closed minded for the iPad. Could it be that you cant see past what you want the iPad to be to see it for waht it is? Just a thought.

I hope you stick around, there are some great people on this board, and if your anything like me, you can learn a little more about the iPad evey day.

OP
T

tebletfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the record, I returned the ipad to Best Buy. They said I'm only the second return--and the other had a huge screen issue. I told them I'd like to lie and say it was broken (in order to save the restock fee) but I couldn't. Then they rang me up and there was NO RESTOCK FEE.

So I lost a few hours of waiting in line time, but got to experience the ipad at no cost. Learned alot. Thanks everyone.

OP
T

tebletfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's two returns out of 100 sold (I counted when I was in line last week). That says something about the product right there.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tebletfan said:
That's two returns out of 100 sold (I counted when I was in line last week). That says something about the product right there.

So what does it say, 1% returned cos they didn't like it.....that was you, but hey that's a valid figure cos you know that it must be the same at all the stores around. Then 1% returned because of a fault, same argument, you don't know that cos you don't know the figures for anywhere else......could be 0.001% or it could be 15%.

So, what should I read into what it says about the product? I'm interested......really.......really.......I am

The Archangel

madcapjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new here, and also new to Apple, other than my ipod, but lets be honest, Apple and Android users do not play well together.
I use an android phone because it works for me, never considered the iphone. No reason, just satisfied with what i have. On the other hand, when i decided to buy the ipad2, I gave very little thought to the Xoom. It isn't in the same league at this point in time.
My family is pretty much split between the 2 camps. One family member would outfit his wife and kids in Apple clothes if he could find them. A few others are all android.
Honestly I've always thought android users should be thankful to Apple, because if they had launched the iphone on all the major carriers android would be a speck of what it is today. The fact that Apple tied itself to AT&T made android possible.
Anyway, whatever people buy, its their money to spend as they please. I'm happy with my android phone, and assume I will be happy with my ipad2.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's two returns out of 100 sold (I counted when I was in line last week). That says something about the product right there.[/QUOTE

So tell me what does it tell you about the product? Nothing at all is the answer except 100 people whom were in line purchased the ipad which indicates how popular the product is.

Sorry your post makes no sense further more it seems you have access to Best Buys inventory system and know how many units were really sold.... I dont think so.....It is obvious you are totally against Apple products and that is fine may be next time you decide to buy something regardless of brand do some serious research first.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree. Android tablets aren't there yet.

Just like 2 years ago, Android phones weren't there yet. Today they own the market and the momentum.

After my short experience with the IPad, I'll confidently bet a paycheck that IPads will meet the same fate. Once Android tablets get off the ground. Android just hasn't found "the one" yet. They will. And I'll be ready.

Then in four year you can buy an Andorid. Till then enjoy What-Works-Now. You don't owe Android anything, In fact Google is a BAD company because they launder their profitts through Ireland and the Bahamma to avoid paying taxes to the USA. You should avoid anything Google!!! Link HERE

OP
T

tebletfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, hostility all around.

I meant my "only two returned" as a compliment. Defensive?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts