What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volume button jammed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sjoholt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello guys!

Today my iPad fell off the microwave, about 30 cm high, and it somehow landed on the side where the volume button is located. Now there is a mini-dent on the side of it that has jammed the "decrease volume" side of the button, so ita not longer possible to turn it up. As soon as i let go of the increase button, the volume is turned down instantly.

I dont know what to do, and i guess there are no ways of fixing this myself? Getting this repaired must cost loads? I got it for x-mas, and it was baught at an apple store.

I appreciate all answers :)

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would suggest taking it back to the apple store where you bought it and speak with the store manager. If you tell them the truth about what happened, they may replace it as a good will gesture. There have been several posts on this forum where the store has done this for customers. Unfortunately, that's not always the case, so be prepared to be disappointed. You can always get an estimate to have it fixed.
Good luck.

OP
S

Sjoholt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would suggest taking it back to the apple store where you bought it and speak with the store manager. If you tell them the truth about what happened, they may replace it as a good will gesture. There have been several posts on this forum where the store has done this for customers. Unfortunately, that's not always the case, so be prepared to be disappointed. You can always get an estimate to have it fixed.
Good luck.

Yes, thats probably the best thing to do. I just hope i dont have to spend alot of money on this :( Fingers crossed on Monday!

connecticut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try a hammer

I just had this problem. The upper right of my ipad has a dent which caused the volume down end of the button to be stuck. The icon for zero volume was permanently displayed on the screen. The Apple Store was going to charge me $350 to replace it. So instead I covered the area of the ipad with felt covers (the ones you use to put on the bottom of objects to prevent scratching surfaces). Then I hammered the up part of the volume button. Now the button is still jammed, but the software volume controls work normally.

Update:
This solution worked for a day or two. Now the volume icon comes up on the screen every once in a while. I have to push down on one or the other end of the volume button to make it disappear. It still works, but this is getting annoying. Not sure if it is worth paying for a replacement though, since the problem could be solved permanently by disabling the volume buttons. If only I could jailbreak the iPad2 I could fix it that way. Or if someone could get such an app to disable volume buttons into the apple store I'm sure it would help a lot of clumsy people.

Last edited:

marymarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This volume button thing just happened to me. I saw the mentions of dents, but my iPad hasn't fallen, and it's in a Belkin case. I took the case off, and sure enough, the metal around the switch appeared to be slightly bent up toward the screen, pushing the screen just barely noticeably up. Using the side of my knuckle, I firmly massaged the screen over the switch downward, and managed to put it back in order. The little strip of metal is very flimsy. It was a simple fix for me.

rockbll4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This volume button thing just happened to me. I saw the mentions of dents, but my iPad hasn't fallen, and it's in a Belkin case. I took the case off, and sure enough, the metal around the switch appeared to be slightly bent up toward the screen, pushing the screen just barely noticeably up. Using the side of my knuckle, I firmly massaged the screen over the switch downward, and managed to put it back in order. The little strip of metal is very flimsy. It was a simple fix for me.

THANK YOU!!! this fixed my problem!!!! The up button on mine was stuck and pushing the screen back down fixed it!

of course the button doesn't feel the same but i can still change the volume!

Moon Doggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You are AMAZING, the time I wasted finding an answer and it was so simple. I just had to push the screen with my thumb and it just slid in, it must have been a millimetre up and just went unnoticed while i examined the dent and attempted to find the thinest of objectc to pop the button out. I :cool:did however discover hacks, jail breaking and other things I never new existed.

Digibitz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this is late, but it may help others.Last night , my son's ipad fell from his bed and dented in the same place, even though it had a plastic back cover. Seems to be the weak spot of the ipad as the volume control slot is so close to the edge. There are many complaints in forums about the same problem. Anyway, the volume control was stuck down and the speaker icon was permanently displayed.
I fixed it as follows :
At first, I tried using a stanley (utility) knife to widen the gap between the glass screen and the alloy back cover , but soon abandoned that as it seemed the glass would chip or crack .
Next, I cut a strip of thin but very tough clear plastic from a battery packet and worked it from the undamaged gap between the glass and cover into the dented area. With the glass thus protected, I forced a jewelers screwdriver between the plastic and the cover and levered the dented area out. It worked!

Last edited:

Kyipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Omg I can't believed it work

One day I took it out my book bag and it was dented, the volume was jammed and I was using the stupid gesture for volume. But the volume will still go down with the gestures. All I did was put a lil pressure on the spot and a click and boom you have volume again. Thanks a lot... I was tryna look for a way to disable it lol

captainhottub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please let me know if you have permanently solved your stuck volume button. I'm almost ready to drill into the volume button and pull it out or jailbreak my iPad2.
I really need a solution, beyond paying Apple repair $350.

Have you found a permanant DIY repair method? Or, have you successfully jailbroken to install the "Volume Button Disable" app from Cydia?

Sincerely,
CaptainHottub

P.S. It's my volume-up button, and subsequent on-screen volume icon, that is stuck. The slightest bump, rotation, or even picking up the iPad2 jacks the volume to Max, as if I were pressing the volume-up-button. :mad:

Pharrell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I installed the IOS 6.0.1 update, the speaker icon which was stuck on my screen magically disappeared. Since I can control the volume from the home screen, as suggested in another post, I don't really need the volume button to work. Therefore, reloading or upgrading your software might help remove the speaker icon from permanently displaying.

RMulji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Simple Fix!

Hey guys!

This is a simple and effective fix for this specific volume button problem!
No need for 'extra apps'...

I have just registered in this forum so am not able to submit links (you can just go to youtube)
So, this is the step-by-step guide:
1. Go to 'Settings'
2. Go to 'General'
3. Go to 'Accessibility'
4. Activate 'Assistive Touch'
5. If the menu doesn't automatically pop-up, press the new small round icon in the corner
6. Press 'Device'
7. Manage 'Volume' manually!!

Hope it also works for you!

captainhottub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RMulji said:
Hey guys!

This is a simple and effective fix for this specific volume button problem!
No need for 'extra apps'...

I have just registered in this forum so am not able to submit links (you can just go to youtube)
So, this is the step-by-step guide:
1. Go to 'Settings'
2. Go to 'General'
3. Go to 'Accessibility'
4. Activate 'Assistive Touch'
5. If the menu doesn't automatically pop-up, press the new small round icon in the corner
6. Press 'Device'
7. Manage 'Volume' manually!!

Hope it also works for you!

THANK YOU!
Finally, I knew there had to be an iOS built-in, software solution.

This is the best 95% of the time, until I bump the iPad.
The slight DENT in the metal DIRECTLY OVER over the VOLUME UP button still needs a physical fix. I need to somehow bend it back the other direction. So far, a tiny screwdriver seems like I may slip and possibly scratch the glass. I really don't want to risk that. I'm thinking I'm going to need some rubber-grip clamps, some rubber coated tools, and some way to evenly distribute restraint force while prying/pulling/bending the dent in the opposite direction.

The physical fix is a must. I just remembered to get back on here and thank you for teaching me iOS' assistive-touch volume toggle. ....prompted by my volume icon remaining stuck, once again, I the middle of the screen, after normal in-my-lap use.

Anyone, please recommend GENTLE, NON-SCRATCHING TOOLS, to pry/bend this dent away from my volume button.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't put any pressure on the glass screen, it could easily crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts