What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virus Protection for iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

triciab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a virus protection available for my iPad? I was recently hacked on my hotmail account & am concerned.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple took the decision to 'sandbox' the programs (apps) in the iPad. This means that apps have only a very limited ability to interact - and this interaction is *absolutely* controlled by the operating system (iOS). So if you tried to write a 'virus' program for the iPad it would have no effect, because it couldn't interact with any other program or the operating system.

That, inevitably, has other consequences and places restrictions on what programs can do. In Windows, for example, applications (programs) can interact and this can be very useful. So some (clever) programmers found a way to 'jail break' the iPad and remove this restriction (effectively 'jailbreaking' means your iPad can 'run' non-Apple approved apps from the Cydia website, where they make such non-approved apps available). They can now run 'unauthorised' apps on the iPad that 'take advantage' of the removal of this restriction. The downside - technically a 'jail broken' iPad could be vunerable to viruses.

But don't worry - a 'regular' (non jail broken) iPad is not vunerable to any 'viruses' that a deviant programmer might write to 'infect' a jail broken iPad. So you need have no worries - if your iPad is not 'jailbroken' it is absolutely safe from viruses.

Basically, if you accept the restrictions that Apple place on your iPad and don't jail break, you're completely safe - a virus cannot 'infect' you.

Additionally, any 'app' that a normal (non-jail broken) iPad can download will have been thoroughly checked and approved by Apple, so could not contain any malevolent code...

OK - I'll get 'hacked' by the iPad 'jail breakers' - sorry for the 'pun' but, basically, you're safe.

Apple have a number of 'white papers' and other documents on their web site that address this issue if you'd like the links...

Tim
Scotland

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbroken iPads don't have viruses either. U only have to srry if u installed open ssh and didn't change the default passwords. I've constantly jailbroke my iPad with no issues or viruses messing up my device. This was just a FYI so people don't go thinkn jailbroken iPads get viruses n stuff ;-)

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The security of Apple is great too bad my work is still all PC's and I can't get logged on remotely from a Mac or my iPad...:mad: Because, I'd seriously consider converting all over if I could...

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pride often comes before a fall. Security is never guaranteed, no matter the device or manufacturer, anyone believing this has a big blue neon sign above their head with hack me written on it. The iPad and Apple products may be relatively secure now, but those that believe this will always be so are, how shall I put this in order not to offend? IDIOTS!

While purchasing an item with your iPad online using Wi-Fi, how safe are you for instance. I'm not using this as an example, I'm genuinely interested to know, I have WPA2 encryption on my router but I know there is software out there that can break it utilising a PC's graphics GPU. The weakest link may not be the iPad or software.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pride often comes before a fall. Security is never guaranteed, no matter the device or manufacturer, anyone believing this has a big blue neon sign above their head with hack me written on it. The iPad and Apple products may be relatively secure now, but those that believe this will always be so are, how shall I put this in order not to offend? IDIOTS!

While purchasing an item with your iPad online using Wi-Fi, how safe are you for instance. I'm not using this as an example, I'm genuinely interested to know, I have WPA2 encryption on my router but I know there is software out there that can break it utilising a PC's graphics GPU. The weakest link may not be the iPad or software.

Great viewpoint! Nothing is full proof. U only can do the best u can with what u got. Stay educated on matters and make logical decisions and choices. U have people breaking into google and the defense department and their security systems blow away's apples. So no device or PC is full proof!

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad and Apple products may be relatively secure now, but those that believe this will always be so are, how shall I put this in order not to offend? IDIOTS!

Hmmm, obviously doesn't know the impact or meaning of a certain word...

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbroken iPads don't have viruses either. U only have to srry if u installed open ssh and didn't change the default passwords. I've constantly jailbroke my iPad with no issues or viruses messing up my device. This was just a FYI so people don't go thinkn jailbroken iPads get viruses n stuff ;-)

I knew it. I knew just because they are JB, people think they get viruses. I thought that was BS.

But ~

It may not always be the case, JB or not ~ eventually someone will find a way to send viruses to the iPad.

Jon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is not that the iOs device is immune to exploits. Web, mail or SMS has acted as efficient actack vectors and iOs has been compromised succesfully at least few times. The upside in the past was a rather small use base relative terms. That being said the motivation for mall ware is resing with the growing user base.

Apple is very aware of the importance of securing their platform. Recently they hired former NSA security expert David Rice. Whom previusly has critiqued apples security.

This walled garden looks to have adequate security for the moment and it appears that this will continue in the future.

Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If iPad isn't Jailbroken,than you should not get worry for a virus scanner.

As stated b4...lol..jail broken iPads aren't any more susceptible to viruses thn regular ones. As stated b4 :-/ it's about the apps. If u jailbrake n install something without researching exactly what it does, then it's on u. It's only if u install open ssh into iPad and don't change the default password. My iPad been jail broken for almost a year now with now negative effects, only benefits.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
As stated b4...lol..jail broken iPads aren't any more susceptible to viruses thn regular ones. As stated b4 :-/ it's about the apps. If u jailbrake n install something without researching exactly what it does, then it's on u. It's only if u install open ssh into iPad and don't change the default password. My iPad been jail broken for almost a year now with now negative effects, only benefits.

I agree completely with Demandarin and to be clear I don't jail break as I have never felt the need. This discussion should be about protection rather about what's safest, JB or not JB iPads because there is no difference.

If you could put Win on an iPad, with it's self executing files, well, then I would be worried.

All computers which have an input interface are at risk and unless it's a silicon chip in a microwave then it is likely to have an input interface.

Microsoft have always cornered the market in viruses because a) they are they biggest OS and b) it's so damn easy due to self executing files. I can't imagine anyone would come up with a brand new OS these days that had self executing files unless the author is completely crazy.

Apple have in the main avoided viruses because for many years they were small enough to skip under the radar and also, if you want to get a virus on a Mac or "i" device you have to load it yourself (no self executing files).

You are responsible for what you put on any device you own so you need to ensure that you are confident in the software you load up and as Demandarin stated, you need to make sure your connections are secure, it's quite simple to do but you would be surprised how many don't.

The Archangel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions