What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Videos in Safari

Kenstephens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm sorry if this has been asked 1,000 times. I've searched and haven't found an answer.

I'm into RC model gliders and, to a much lesser extent, powered aircraft. I download a lot of video from hobby websites and most of it plays fine. Occasionally, like today, I download a vid in iOS Safari on my iPad 3 and it won't play thanks to the format it's in. Today's is a .wmv file.

I have seen video converters that run on the Mac, but I don't want to transfer the vid back and forth, that's just too much effort by half.

Is there an app like VLC that'll run on the iPad and play pretty much anything? I know VLC is no longer available.

If not, what's plan B?

Although I do have a MacBook, since getting my iPad I haven't used it except as a backup tool for the iPad. That's the way I'd like to keep it if possible. I don't mind jail breaking if that is available and helpful, I haven't looked to see yet.

Thanks for any advice,

Ken

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of people here (disclaimer: I am one of them) have tried and liked the app "OPlayer HD." You can get a free trial version so that you can see how you like it (the paid version is $4.99, USD). It's my go-to video player when I get .wmv files and such via e-mail and it's not failed me yet (knock on wood).

I also have the app AcePlayer ($2.99) in case, for some reason, OPlayer HD doesn't work. Between the two of them, I've had zero times when I couldn't view a video.

There are many, many video playing apps on the App Store. These are only my recommendations. I am sure there will be other people who will tell you theirs...

Good luck in your search for one that works for you.

Marilyn

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you jailbreak then vlc is available on cydia.
Then you can also use ifile to find the file you downloaded and paste it into the vlc app.
I do this all the time with downloaded vids. Works great.

Most reactions