What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VERY slow WiFi

CherylF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my iPad 2 for just 2 weeks, but my wifi speeds are abysmal. My Macbook gets 6.8 down, the iPad .72. Same Airport Extreme. I spent time with Apple support -- reset network settings, everything he knew to suggest and no change. I cannot stream from Netflix or even easily watch YouTube videos with this speed. Anybody have any ideas?

OP
C

CherylF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean by "network adapters". I reset the Network settings several times. Where will I find network adapters?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
When stuggling with wifi speed, there can be several problems at the same time. That's the fun of it...

1- install from the AppStore the app Speed Test, if not already done
2- do some speed testing with several servers. Sometimes, the default one is not the fastest.
3- there you will see Ping time, download speed and upload speed.

Snce your Mac has a good bandwith, then it is for sure that the ISP is not the issue. One thing you have to make sure is to validate if this is a DNS problem or a bandwith problem. You've reported speeds at 0.7 which leads me to believe that this is not a DNS issue. A DNS issue would make webpage loading very long, but once the content is reached, it would load fast. So assuming that is is not the case, we'll concentrate on data transfer speed.

1- how many bars do the ipad shows on your wifi icon?
2- do you loose wifi connection once in a while?
3- in your router, what security is used? WPA, Wep, none?
4- in the wifi settings on your router, is the channel set at auto or a fixed value?
5- on your router, wifi settings have several parameters like boosting, auto g/b, bandwith speed (1,2,4...54)

I would start by assigning a fixed channel, 11 seems to always do the trick. Also setting the speed at 6 for testing purpose will give view a hint if something has changed. Long preamble seems to work better with the ipad... Don't play with numerical values, they're fine for sure.

In your iPad, select your network, and click "Forget this network" (hope that this is how it's called in english...). And reboot your ipad and re-join your wifi.

Generally, a bad wifi speed is often related to the channel selection or the wifi speed. A lower wifi speed may help a lot if your router is far from your location. Also, remember that wireless phone may interfer with your wifi. If the base is near the router, put it in another room or simply disconnect it for testing purpose...

Waiting for your results...

VicoPad addict!

danx55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all,
my ipad2 just dies regularly when using wifi - pretty rubbish as it is wifi only and this is the only use for it :(
heard mentioned on apple discussions forum about turning of the QOS setting on route - means quality of service i think - but mine was already off - am giving the dns ip setting change in the above link a try out now - hope that works

cheers
dan

Most reactions