What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VERY slow synch!!

Sharonbens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all,

i'm new to ipad and have been searching for a solution for my problem for the past two days.
the first few times i synched with itunes it went really quick (a few minutes tops to fill the 16 GB with mostly music and a few i books).
Now when i try to synch - it crawls by- taking almost 2 seconds per song - this could take hours!!!
In other discussions - i saw people saying that their backup was taking hours - but mine is slow in the synch process.
I even downloaded a software called Backoff, as suggested somewhere, that turns off the backup. Still its crawling.
I also erased all the apps on the ipad, as others suggested, nothing has changed.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If synching takes this long it defeats the purpose..
The ipad is new and up to date. The itunes is also up to date..

thanks for your help
s

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well My suggestion is rather simple. Never sync songs. Just copy them from the PC. The directory you copy them from, will stay as your backup.

When you sync through iTune, it actually create 2 files same size for each song. That way a 1 Gig of songs becomes 2 Gigs in the iTune directory, on your PC.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you haven't tried this, give it a go. It fixes the strangest problems.

When things start acting a bit weird, it's a good idea to completely shut the iPad off and restart. You should probably do this at least once a week (my unsupported opinion on frequency.)

Just hold down the power button for about three seconds. You'll get a power off slider. Go ahead and slide it off. Wait until the iPad completely shuts down and then restart it by holding down the power button for about three seconds again.

For more serious problems, when shutting it off doesn't work, you can do a soft reset. Hold down the power and home key for about 10 seconds, or until the Apple logo appears. Let go and wait for it to reboot. This will take a few minutes, so be patient.

OP
S

Sharonbens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@peled: i'm a pc user and am new to mac... i though synching through itunes was my only option. how can i copy without synching? (sorry if this is a silly question)

@twerpoet: I was hoping for a solution less drastic than reseting the ipad - i finally finished entering all my calendar stuff (not by synching - i've been doing it old fashioned hard-copy (book and pen) until now ;) also all my notes and stuff will be gone... I guess i'll do that as a last resort - but i was hoping to understand what the problem is first so it doesn't come back again.

I have the Ipad for less than a week - and i've spent the past three days on forums... :(
thanks both for your help and advice,
s

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@peled: i'm a pc user and am new to mac... i though synching through itunes was my only option. how can i copy without synching? (sorry if this is a silly question)

s

See that your iTune is defined to Sync only App.
Do what ever you uese to copying to the iPAD.
When you are done, you may delete all songs from the iTune.

That is not true though for Photos. In photos I just recomand to use other applications. not the iTune Virus..

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Soft reset will not erase anything, all the information will be there unless it was something that got "stuck" in memory and was causing issues.

I think that your problem may be that you are trying to synch too much to your iPad...

I have about 80 GB of music, around 60 Gb of video, and thousands of apps, and starting a new iDevice takes a long time just to get to a point where I can work with it... If you are trying to synch over the 16 GB limit (acutally 14Gb), iTunes will contentedly (lets just be ridiculous and say I am trying to synch my 80Gb into the 16 Gb iPad...) chug and chug and chug and try and do that, copying things back and forth, storing things in the virtual hard drive, and will probably work on it for a few years, before it finally reports back that you can't fit everything you are trying to fit.. And since all the buffers on your PC / MAC are full, as well as the iPad, iTunes is moving things in and out of memory, copying things here and there trying to make sure no information is lost, and everything slows to a crawl (I can vouch - personal experience)... So, check to make sure your music directory or other areas are trying to put lots of stuff that won't fit.

Also, I totally agree with Peled, than manually loading the music and video is a faster way to go... Initally can be more painful, but pretty easy once you have learned how it goes (dragging and dropping). And creating playlists, and dragging and dropping them seems to work just as fast...

Let us know.

OP
S

Sharonbens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm starting to get embarrassed with these posts...:eek:..

1. thanks again for your help and your patience and not laughing at me :)

2. I have no idea how to copy not through itunes - the ipad doesn't show on "my computer" at all. So how do i access the device?

3. i'm trying to upload a movies into itunes so i can put it into the ipad... I go to file>add file to library>choose the file>open. nothing happens.. it doesnt upload it to the library, it doesn't even say that it can't. just nothing!

aaaahhh!!:confused:

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm starting to get embarrassed with these posts...:eek:..

1. thanks again for your help and your patience and not laughing at me :)

2. I have no idea how to copy not through itunes - the ipad doesn't show on "my computer" at all. So how do i access the device?

3. i'm trying to upload a movies into itunes so i can put it into the ipad... I go to file>add file to library>choose the file>open. nothing happens.. it doesnt upload it to the library, it doesn't even say that it can't. just nothing!

aaaahhh!!:confused:

So, did you fix the slowdown? What was the problem?

2. You still will access the iPad through iTunes, but rather than auto synch, you can drag and drop. Although you can't drg and drop apps, you have to synch them.

3. In iTunes, check the movie tab and see if it is there. You might just be looking in the wrong place.

janemoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think to Enhance a Performance You Can Directly Copy the Song From Your Laptop.That is the only best solution of Slow Sync in iPad

Most reactions