What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon

Ndeb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that Verizon will be available for ipads, will it be possible to switch from AT&T to Verizon?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have always had the same ability to use Verizon, it just was not handed to customers on a platter before. Anyone can get Verizon mifi and use it. The problem is the cost of the service. One story is that they will offer a special pricing for the iPad service, but that is not fully confirmed or detailed.

WAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you buy an ipad from verizon, it will be a WIFI-only model and come with a case and a pocket for an included MIFI 2200, which will be free with contract. Currently the data plans are 250MB for $40 and 5GB for $60. As always, specials come and go.

05GT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's cheaper to just root an android phone or jailbreak an iPhone and tether. These data packages for the ipad are crazy expensive.

WAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know how to do that. Can you point me to a good DIY link?

WAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon. Old dumb phone, but my contract's up so I can renew and get a new phone. Which ones will push wifi?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new service plans for the iPad shows a bit of Apple's influence. The plans are 1GB for $20, 3GB for $35, and 5GB for $50. As I understand it, they are no contract prices. You pay $130 for the mifi and then the service plans as you need them. Without a contract, the mifi costs $260 for non-iPad users and the 5GB service plan is $10 more per month.

If you like Verizon and are a heavy user, this will be good news because the 5GB plan is cheaper per GB than the $25 AT&T plan. However, if you are like me and have decent AT&T service and the unlimited plan, it would not be worthwhile. Or if you only use 1-2 GB monthly, the AT%T plan is cheaper. One advantage of the mifi is the ability to use with other devices, like an iPod Touch or laptop. Bad is the short battery life of the mifi unit.

WAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But your trade off between Verizon and AT&T assumes equal utility. In two recent western roadtrips, I NEVER found AT&T service when I needed it. It was available in mediium and bigger cities, but I could always scam free WIFI there. McDonalds, Starbucks, Safeway and the misc hotels.

Since my Verizon phone often had service where AT&T ipad didn't it seems I need to get my ipad broadband from V. So I guess I gotta learn Droid and figure out costing.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some areas are different. Here, AT&T smokes Verizon. Which says something because I do not really like AT&T that much. My big issue with AT&T is that my DSL is slower than I like, but I think the issue with that is more that the servers are not up to the heavy demands of a college town. My work computer has a much faster connection and I still get long pauses when servers overload.

WAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ahh. My only knowledge of Vz vs ATT elsewhere is from the Consumer Reports evaluations where Vz smokes ATT and everybody else, everywhere, always. Tch...if you can't trust CR, who can you trust?

mfruin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
switch to verizon

I was told at the apple store yesteray that verizon will only have the wi fi version bundled with a portable mi fi hotspot, no 3g version.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An article in MacWorld online indicated that the bundling of mifi with the iPad would not be a permanent thing, and if you want it, you have to hop on it fast. That can mean a much higher monthly cost.

Most reactions

Latest posts