What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon won't sell an Ipad without a social security #

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To followup on some posts:

I was not applying for any credit. I had my credit card out in full view of the clerk. After I agreed on the data plan and the device capacity and some accessories, the clerk first asked for my drivers license. I don't remember if I gave him permission to scan it, as the process was so fast, but he than scanned it into his system. He then quickly brought up the number pad on the checkout touch screen and asked for my social security number. When I asked why, he told me it was for a credit check. The clerk wasn't too swift, as I had mentioned at least 3 times that I was not committing to the 2 year data plan, that comes with the free mifi device. I was instead paying for the mifi device. They were not extending any credit to me at all. In the pre-sales discussion, I was told that I could go online and log in to my newly created Verizon account and authorize a credit card to pay for the monthly 3G service. If the sale happened and my credit card would later be declined, Verizon would simply stop providing wifi service to the mifi device. The most liability Verizon would have in this situation would be 1 months of service which was $35.00 for the 3 gig plan. How would having my social security number on file help them with this? Is it important for them to have the right to put a bad mark on my credit score for $35.00?? Give me a break!

After I reminded the clerk again that I was not committing to the 2 year data plan, and I didn't want to give my social security number, he literally spent 5 minutes on his pc, occasionally hitting some keys. Maybe he was instant messaging his supervisor? I grew tired of this and asked what the issue was. He told me that as I was going to open a Verizon Account, (this seemed like a big deal, as during the pre sales talk, the clerk asked me several times, weather I had a Verizon account, which I did not) my social security number was required. Can somebody shed some light on this. I asked the clerk to remove my drivers license scan from the system. He informed me that it was already done. I told him that I no longer wanted the sale. I've worked in retail for many years and I can't believe the lack of caring or emotions over the failed sale that the clerk showed.

Guess what Verizon - We live in a free world and have a free market. I'm free to buy my Ipad elsewhere and to never conduct business with Verizon again. I also have the outlet of this forum and hope I convince others to not do business with Verizon as well.

As a Verizon customer I too find this odd. Ww've never had to give out our SS #. And I too would be reluctant and more then a little pissed if they insisted on it. I'd at least check with Verizon to see if this is indeed their policy or if the clerk had a side biz.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I worked for verizon years ago. In order to start a new account you would need a ss#...BUT in the case of someone refusing to give it the dealer can in fact call activations and use only the last 4 digits...as they can not legally require that information. Without the ss they can't do a credit check, so you may get a $500-$1000 deposit as a result.

As for what you're referring to tho, it would not be needed because you are a cash prepaid sale.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From the Social Security Web site:

If a business or other enterprise asks you for your SSN, you can refuse to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for an SSN, but do not need it; they can do a credit check or identify the person in their records by alternative means.

Giving your SSN is voluntary, even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask why your SSN is needed, how your number will be used, what law requires you to give your number and what the consequences are if you refuse. The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours.

I have always told people that demand my SSAN that they can shove it. My wife used to work for SSA and she made the state use another number for her driver's license. That practice was made illegal because businesses were using driver's license as a way of getting the SSAN. The more times you give out your number, your chance of having your identity stolen goes up exponentially. Legitimate requirements will only need your last four to confirm.

Snarky30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

One can buy a, AT&T 3G Capable Ipad at any Apple store, without any commitment to AT&T 3G service and without providing a social security number. The way that it works is that the Ipad's first only work with Wifi, but come with an AT&T Sim card. The owner has the option of signing up for an AT&T data plan with the device, (but is not contractually required to do so) and registering a credit card for monthly payments. This process DOES NOT require the user to give the Apple store or AT&T a social security number.

I don't imagine that AT&T's costs to set up a new customer are any less than Verizon's. It appears that Verizon's intrusiveness is not economically based. Maybe they just enjoy being intrusive! In any event, their policy had a negative economic impact on them, as I declined to be a customer!

AT&T has worked a deal with Apple to set up a prepaid data service, something that Verizon does not offer. Verizon only offers contract data plans with the mifi cards, hence the credit check. Even though you may not technically be signing a contract, you are still considered a contract customer, NOT a prepaid customer. One of the advantages of this for a customer is that if you were to go over your data limit, you continue to still have service. You would just be charged overages, which is where the credit check comes in so that someone is responsible for the charges. With a prepaid service, you're shut down and would have to pay again for more service.

I'm not trying to defend Verizon as a company, I'm just informing you in how the process works. I'm sure if this whole iPhone to Verizon thing happens, then we'll probably see a similar setup with the next iPad having more carrier options for the 3G model.

Last edited:
OP
M

mhalstern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an AT&T customer, not having any automatic service coverage if my data plan goes over the limit, is not an inconvenience. If I am running low, AT&T simply sends a message to my device, informing me of the situation and giving me the option to pay for additional monthly service, using a form on my Ipad.

This works for me and is a better system than Verizon's intrusiveness.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are many reasons it is illegal to use SSANs

for identification purposes. Starting with credit card fraud. The world is rapidly moving away from SSAN use and those states who used to use it as drivers license number are moving or have already moved away from that practice. Never give that number out unless you are seeking credit from a legitimate lending organization (bank).

T

TJK

I want to thank the poster who defended me. I never mentioned suing Verizon...

No - but you did say:
"Are any attorneys reading this post? Is this practice illegal? Can I get the store, or Verizon in trouble?"

Remember - this is the intrawebs after all.

Most likely a quick chat with the manager could have solved your problem in a few minutes. I bought a MiFi last year without my SS number by having it billed to my company AMEX. The clerk hit a screen that he could not get past. I also got an Overdrive from Sprint without my SS.

OP
M

mhalstern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought about asking for a manager, but after the way I was treated, I didn't care that much and wanted to let the powers of the "free market." do their stuff.

Requiring my Social Security Number to make the sale wasn't the only rude intrusive way that I was treated. Before activating the number pad on the checkout screen and asking for my Social Security number, the clerk asked for my drivers license. I assumed that he wanted to make sure that I was the legitimate credit card holder. I expected him to match the names on my credit card and the drivers license and verify that the the picture resembled me. This was not the case. He took my license and without asking my permission, or explaining what he was up to, he scanned it into his computer system! It is not possible to define this behavior as anything but rude, unprofessional and uncalled for!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. In my situation, the clerk also hit a screen that he could not get past. As I have spent many years in the retail business, I am shocked at the complete lack of interest that the clerk had in completing the sale. He could have called for a manager.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to Verizon. I have never had them do a single thing right on the first try. I love their coverage, but as inept as they seem to be it's amazing they are doing as well as they are.

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think Verizon sells the iPad without a data plan. That would mean a monthly charge. They need the social to run a credit check.

If you don't need data, don't buy from Verizon. Sue them? lol, good luck.

I think this is the crux of the issue. It is a credit application because he wantednthe MyFi service.

It might also be that Apple still restricts the numbermof iPad one person can own.

Kimsfx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok to make something very clear. IT IS AGAINST THE LAW OF CALIFORNIA for any retailer to ask for your zip code or any further information when purchasing a product. The only place where there is a variance is when a retailer offers a credit card service to the customer, but even then there are guidelines that must be met. A MiFi plan is NOT a credit card nor is it a credit card service, it is a carrier service plan and under the laws of California asking for your SS# is a violation of consumer protection rights. Contact an attorney or inquire with legal assistance program for further information, but under no circumstances do you ever give out your SS# to anyone unless it is in the process of a W9, W2, 1099 or application for financial services.

Last edited:

pricej636

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok to make something very clear. IT IS AGAINST THE LAW OF CALIFORNIA for any retailer to ask for your zip code or any further information when purchasing a product. The only place where there is a variance is when a retailer offers a credit card service to the customer, but even then there are guidelines that must be met. A MiFi plan is NOT a credit card nor is it a credit card service, it is a carrier service plan and under the laws of California asking for your SS# is a violation of consumer protection rights. Contact an attorney or inquire with legal assistance program for further information, but under no circumstances do you ever give out your SS# to anyone unless it is in the process of a W9, W2, 1099 or application for financial services.

He was more or less applying for credit when he was purchasing the mifi device. Any post-paid cellular account regardless of carrier will require a credit check. Get over it.

Had he just purchased the iPad there would be no credit check thus no SSN needed. Pretty much anytime you open an account with anyone where money is exchanged you can expect your SSN to be required or at least requested.

Last edited:

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Will someone explain what info you have to give to get a wifi plan for the ipad.
I don't get it.

Most reactions

Latest posts