What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon store employees don't know how to do their jobs or are lying

ipadtryer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to a Verizon store to pick up a new iPad today. As I was checking out he asks which data plan I want. I said none, I'll get data later. He says you can't buy it without signing up for a data plan for at least one month. I said OK, I'll get the cheapest plan and cancel if I don't want to keep using it after a month. Then his says there is a $35 activation fee that applies each time I activate it, so I would be better off keeping it activated all the time. I said I don't want it then and walked out.

I went to Best Buy and the salesmen there were confused about the data plans when I told them the Verizon store wanted a $35 activation fee and mandatory data plan for purchase. They said maybe you have to get a data plan if you buy from Verizon, but you can buy without a plan here and they would check if there was an activation fee for the plan later. After a couple minutes the guy said he checked on it there is a $35 activation fee on Verizon iPads, but not AT&T. I wanted the faster 4G LTE and included hotspot from Verizon, but decided that paying $35 every time I activated wouldn't be worth it so I bought an AT&t iPad. When I went home, I read the Verizon web site and it clearly says there are no activation fees on iPad plans (prepaid plans most people use). Only the post-paid plans that make sense for few people have activation fees.
So, I drove back to Best Buy again and exchanged the AT&T iPad for a Verizon. Luckily these stores still had stock left for the model I wanted this late in the day.
The Best Buy employee should have done a better job checking the plans before saying they "verified" the $35 activation fee, but the Verizon company store was outrageous since they are employees that sell nothing but Verizon hardware and plans and was giving out misinformation even after I told him that doesn't sound correct to me at all in order to collect a commission for signing me up on the post paid data plan. I would have wasted a credit inquiry on my credit report and may have even been committed to a contract if I had signed up like the other customers in that Verizon store must have been doing.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's how it works north of the border. My iPad came with a Rogers SIM, with the option to use it if I choose to. If I decide I want 3G, I call Rogers to activate it, for free. It then costs me $15 per month for, I think, 250Mb. If I go over that, I automatically go on to the $35 per month with a limit of 1Gb. The next month I go back to the $15 plan, all automatically and with the option to cancel any time.

Since I can tether from my iPhone for free, I have never bothered with Rogers, but I think it sounds fairer than what Verizon are up to.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts