What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

used ipad, verizon wont activate

acbaldwi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys....

So i bought a used ipad 2 off of CL a couple months ago....

Guy who sold it to me said it had a pre-paid data plan on it that was "good" for a month or so...

I didnt think much about it and i didnt check the story (i should have called verizon)

Anyways i went to activate a pay as you go plan on it today and Verizon told me they couldnt activate it as it is still associated on the other account... and may be under a contract.....

Of course they wouldnt give me any info without a password ont he account...

What are my options?

If i were to get the ipad rep[laced at the apple store ( somehow) would it be placed back on the verizon acct or would it have a new meid # that i would then have to call verizon to setup?

I called the guy and he claims he will fix it this afternoon... but at this point i am not sure i can trust him....

not sure what else to o....

Last edited:

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I calle dthe guy and he claims he will fix it this afternoon... butat this point i am not sure i can trust him....

Why?
You have to at least give him the opportunity to correct the issue.

OP
A

acbaldwi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well you know how it is.... i gathered fromt he verizon rep that there was a large balance on the account... so yeah I would love for the guy to make things right, but i was wondering about a backup plan to get me back to where i need to be....

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the original owner sold the iPad to you with a bad ESN (without telling you), he should either pay his bill to clear it or refund your money. That he's talking to you is a good sign. I agree with K1W1, I'd give him a short time to resolve the problem but I can understand being nervous. I'd certainly stay on top of it.

If it were me I'd ask him to meet you at a nearby Verizon store and have it activated in your name...or at least make sure that they can.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"If it were me I'd ask him to meet you at a nearby Verizon store and have it activated in your name...or at least make sure that they can."

--
Good thinking, Rich. I would not have thought about that one. :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well you know how it is.... i gathered fromt he verizon rep that there was a large balance on the account... so yeah I would love for the guy to make things right, but i was wondering about a backup plan to get me back to where i need to be....

Not an unusual story, unfortunately. It's not uncommon for someone to fail to pay their bill with a carrier and then sell the device. Verizon's only recourse in this case is to hold the device "hostage" to the bill. What you could do if the guy fails to clear his bill and Verizon won't help you to re-register the device is to purchase a mobile hotspot with a separate data plan (from Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc.) and use the iPad's wifi with the mobile hotspot device. That's obviously not an ideal solution but other than relying on CL to manage the situation for you, (yeah, right), it may be your only alternative other than to (a) pay the guy's bill or (b) determine how long Verizon will refuse to activate the device with another data plan. They may eventually enable you to activate the device if they've turned the original account over to a credit agency.

Next time? Remember the advice to complete transactions like these at a carrier store where the issue can be resolved at the same time that the purchase is completed.

Most reactions

Latest posts