What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon iPad 2 3G Connectivity Bug

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Using the iPad on an airplane. 2. To save battery life.

Apple - Batteries - iPad

I still don't get it. I have a Verizon iPad 2.

1. I can put it in airplane mode, when I turn airplane mode off everything connects just fine.

2. I leave 3g and wifi on all the time and use both at work from early morning until early evening. When i get home I still have 45% battery power left which is plenty before I hit the sack and put the iPad 2 on the charger.

I'm on 4.3.1, no problems.
Good for you. So, what exactly is the purpose of your continuing to post here if the topic is irrelevant to you?

I'm reporting that this issue doesn't affect all iPads, at least not mine. Why are you posting here? You added nothing to the conversation.

OP
A

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ajstan99 said:
Just updated to 4.3.2 and it appears that the issue has been fixed. I can now turn Verizon service off, restart or reboot the iPad, and be able to turn Verizon service on again without a reboot.

How do you update? iTunes?

Sent from my iPad using iPF
Yes, when you connect to iTunes, select your iPad from the list of devices on the left, click on the "Check for Update" button, and you will get a message saying that there is an update available.

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch software

OP
A

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still don't get it. I have a Verizon iPad 2.

1. I can put it in airplane mode, when I turn airplane mode off everything connects just fine.

2. I leave 3g and wifi on all the time and use both at work from early morning until early evening. When i get home I still have 45% battery power left which is plenty before I hit the sack and put the iPad 2 on the charger.

I'm on 4.3.1, no problems.
Good for you. So, what exactly is the purpose of your continuing to post here if the topic is irrelevant to you?

I'm reporting that this issue doesn't affect all iPads, at least not mine. Why are you posting here? You added nothing to the conversation.
Other than the fact that...

a) I started this thread
b) outlined the steps to recreate the issue
c) provided a workaround to the issue
d) answered your questions when you asked them

and

e) the steps you posted were not the steps to recreate the issue noted in this thread - all you did was report that you didn't have an issue that I never said I had...

... you make some really good points. Since it seems like it's really important to you, what do you say I spot you 6 points and we call you the winner of this little debate? :D

In any case, I'm glad Apple fixed the issue and we all can be happy with the 3G service on our Verizon iPads. Cheers!

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Other than the fact that...

a) I started this thread
b) outlined the steps to recreate the issue
c) provided a workaround to the issue
d) answered your questions when you asked them

and

e) the steps you posted were not the steps to recreate the issue noted in this thread - all you did was report that you didn't have an issue that I never said I had...

... you make some really good points. Since it seems like it's really important to you, what do you say I spot you 6 points and we call you the winner of this little debate? :D

In any case, I'm glad Apple fixed the issue and we all can be happy with the 3G service on our Verizon iPads. Cheers!

I'm not debating, in fact I can't understand your sensitivity. I merely asked why I would need to turn off the 3G radio and was given several reason's why. I tried turning off the 3G radio for those reasons and had no connection issue.

This is a discussion, other forum members may find the fact that not everyone has this issue to be relevant. Sorry you don't.

Cheers. :)

nolake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad2 32GB with Verizon 3G. In the top left hand corner it shows Verizon with 2 bars and a fan type symbol. SInce everything works fine am I getting free verizon service somehow since I didn't sign up for any type of 3G plan yet???? I'm confused on how this all works. On my old Dell laptop I have wireless service here at home. Any clarification is appreciated.

nolake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPAD manual

where do I go to download this manual.... I'm a new user.....previously using 8 year old Dell laptop.........so I'm excited about my new iPad

AppleNut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad2 32GB with Verizon 3G. In the top left hand corner it shows Verizon with 2 bars and a fan type symbol. SInce everything works fine am I getting free verizon service somehow since I didn't sign up for any type of 3G plan yet???? I'm confused on how this all works. On my old Dell laptop I have wireless service here at home. Any clarification is appreciated.

If I was you, I would make sure you are not somehow using data. If your on wifi only the upper left corner would say IPad.

rdclark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AppleNut said:
If I was you, I would make sure you are not somehow using data. If your on wifi only the upper left corner would say IPad.

The iPad 2 3G shows the carrier name in that spot, even when wifi is active. Left to right it's bars, carrier name, and then either the fan or "3G."

AppleNut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AppleNut said:

The iPad 2 3G shows the carrier name in that spot, even when wifi is active. Left to right it's bars, carrier name, and then either the fan or "3G."

Sounds as if there is an active data plan. Have you done a reboot?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The Verizon signal bars just mean that your iPad is receiving a Verizon signal. The iPad will always use WiFi in preference to 3G - always. If WiFi is not available, and you try to use 3G and you've not yet signed up for the Verizon service, you'll be taken to the Verizon Home Page the first time you try to use Safari, where you'll be invited to sign up.

Tim

dreiloft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon problems

Was on the phone with Verizon for over an hour and they said I would have to do a restore to original setting. I purchased mine on the launch date. Waited till I returned from vacation took to the Apple store on 7/11/2011 (over four months old) and they said there was a problem but Verizon has since fixed the problem and would replace it with another Verizon. I demanded that they replace it with an AT&T and they obliged. Why should I/we reward Verizon for providing an inferior product.

jnoslop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I've read all the posts here, and am not sure if my comment belongs in this thread, but here goes:
I have Verizon 3g service with my iPad2. Both cellular and wi-fi are turned on. This problem only happens at home. My wi-fi router is less than 20 feet away, in the den, but when I'm in the family room, I keep losing my wi-fi access and it constantly reverts to 3G. This eats into my plan. What's going on? Why should I have to sit on top of the router to get a signal? Are there any conflict issues reported at Appe?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I've read all the posts here, and am not sure if my comment belongs in this thread, but here goes:
I have Verizon 3g service with my iPad2. Both cellular and wi-fi are turned on. This problem only happens at home. My wi-fi router is less than 20 feet away, in the den, but when I'm in the family room, I keep losing my wi-fi access and it constantly reverts to 3G. This eats into my plan. What's going on? Why should I have to sit on top of the router to get a signal? Are there any conflict issues reported at Appe?

Do you have any other devices in the house that could be interfering with the WiFi signal - for example, a cordless 'phone? Do other WiFi devices in your house suffer from the same problem or is this difficulty restricted to the iPad?

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts