What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon Droid Hotspot

iPadManiac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is anybody using their Verizon Droid as a hotspot for the iPad? I was thinking I might try it to save a few bucks a month.

I was hoping to find some others who are doing it first, however, to see if there are any performance issues.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I have a Verizon mifi and have temporarily stopped the service on it because its just so much more convenient to have the built in 3G service and also the mifi battery only lasts 4 hours.

as far as speed goes, Vernon vs ATT are about the same, in my area ATT is actually faster when it comes to upload speeds.

kilofox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad gets dropped in less than 5 minutes. Are you guys using WPA or WEP encryption?

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad gets dropped in less than 5 minutes. Are you guys using WPA or WEP encryption?

I use WEP. I don't think that WPA is available on the official google tethering app. If you are losing connection I would clear the settings on both devices and make a new connection. I was having a small issue at first but I reconnected everything and don't have any issues. I leave my phone in my pocket and my iPad tethered to it all day long without a hitch. Although you will need to watch your phone's charge closer. Wireless tether will dain your battery faster.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i cant figure out how to get the Motorola Droid to work. I hear it only works via Blue Tooth with Verizon?

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the link... Does this work with Verizon with no additional fees applied?

Yes. It won't cost you anything but your phone must be rooted.

I'm goingnto give it a try but I'm hearing Verizon charges for the extra data usage????

I have been doing it for some time and have not ever been charged anything extra. As long as you have the unlimited data plan you will be fine. They are only able to charge you on the official wireless tether app which is not out and won't be available until the official android 2.2 release.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is called android wifi tether and you have to download it directly from google. Here is the link.

android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

Thanks for the link... Does this work with Verizon with no additional fees applied?

Yes. It won't cost you anything but your phone must be rooted.

So tell me about rooting. Is this an APP in Market Place? Or does this happen with the download someone posted here?

Most reactions

Latest posts