What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vaja and Piel Frama Cover Pictures

Eeyore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Received my Black Piel Frama cover from cases.com. It is the one with the magnetic catch that was back-ordered.

The cover, sitting on top of the box

56f4dbcb.jpg

A close-up of the stitching

acdccb8b.jpg

The inside with the Piel Frama logo embossed within the leather

cde223ba.jpg

Picture of the cover opened up

6d3ffd3d.jpg

The iPad slides into the cover

f4d32be5.jpg

Final Fit close-up

b1c2fad6.jpg

Close-up of the hole in the cover for the light sensor

b5b46058.jpg

Bottom cut-outs for the speakers and 32 pin connector

87aae50c.jpg

Side cut-out for the speaker volume adjust and orientation lock

2e725b4f.jpg

Side of case, closed up

aadbbdd8.jpg

Side of case opened up in typing position

0924cd6f.jpg

Same view without the ruler

8d2ea780.jpg

Case standing in landscape mode

75eab1f4.jpg

Final Impressions: The Piel Frama case is very nicely built. Both the front and back covers are nicely padded and easy to hold on to. Luxurious comes to mind. I tried the 3-shake test with the cover open to see if the iPad would fall out and it didn't budge. Leather, with constant use, will stretch a bit and I think this type of cover would not be good for someone who constantly takes their iPad in and out a lot.

Typing: In typing position, the cover is not good. The angle is slight and pushing down on the cover in this position causes the whole thing to sink down further. The distance from table to the top of the iPad with the Piel Frama is about 1 1/4 inches tall as can be seen in the picture. With the Apple case the distance from table to top of the cover is 1 7/8 inches tall. The Apple cover is definitely better for typing on.

Viewing in landscape mode is not a problem. Just like the Apple cover it will slip on slick surfaces but you can do adjustments.

Weight of the empty cover is 10.3 ounces based on my digital scale.

The Vaja Mamut Moro case is a Limited Edition case due to the small quantities of specially treated leather that they have available. Vaja makes enough cases until they run out, then removes the ad until more leather is available. It is called Mamut Moro because of the dark chestnut brown color and patterning that resembles elephant hide. (The leather is from Argentine beef, not endangered elephants.) The metal logo on the cover and side piece are sterling silver. Weight of the cover is 10.7 ounces according to my digital scale.

View of the cover from the top

4667705878_caa3dc991e.jpg

Closer look

4667071129_4dd08e3943.jpg

A view of the leather pattern

4667694220_f38df39b80.jpg

The bottom of the case, where the leather pattern is continued

4667073071_56155078cf.jpg

iPad inserted into the bottom of the case

4667695914_fd550c6b91.jpg

View of the bottom cover where speakers are

4667696592_b627848ea8.jpg

Side view cut-out where volume control is

4667697300_e76ca0a079.jpg

Side view on/off button

4667697876_80d8ec474d.jpg

Bottom of the case almost flush with the iPad

4667076153_df0468e560.jpg

Close-up with cover loosely attached (No gap when top is down firmly.)

4667699200_e7a81175cc.jpg

Top cover removed and attached to the bottom cover

4667085159_730eef5a71.jpg

Side view with top cover attached to bottom cover

4667078009_93c5693947.jpg

Comments: The Vaja Mamut Moro cover is a "minimalist" cover, designed for people who want some protection for the iPad but are not bothered by not having various typing and landscape position orientations. The top cover is more padded in the center and less so as you reach the edges for protection against drops. The bottom cover is minimally padded and has a tight fit onto the iPad. It is a very luxurious case, both in the way it looks and the way it feels to the hand. Much more 'blingy' than the Piel Frama cover. Fit and finish are excellent. It arrived with a slight smell of adhesive that was used to put the case together but the smell disappeared in a few hours. Now it just smells of wonderful rich leather. There is no stitching used anywhere on the cover, which is different from other covers I have reviewed.

With the top attached to the bottom cover, the Vaja case does not sit 100% flat when on a table. When typing, there is no rocking motion that I could feel. (I do most of my serious typing with the Bluetooth keyboard.)

Vaja Customer service: I place my order on May 20th at 8:28 am. I received an order confirmation on May 20 at 8:42 am. On May 21 at 6:18 am I received a "scheduled to be charged on my credit card for this transaction" email. On May 27 at 12:10 pm I received the Fedex tracking notification and the package was received here in California from Argentina on Tuesday June 1st at 9:33 am. (Due to the Memorial Day weekend the box sat for 2 days.) One thing I did before placing my order was to call my credit card company to let them know I was purchasing an item from Argentina. Since 99.9% of my transactions are in the US, I knew this charge would be immediately flagged by the credit card company. As a result of the heads-up, there were no problems with the transaction.

Please note that I am only commenting on my personal transaction with Vaja. Other people have had CS problems with them.

All the Best!

taudelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any indication on whether the magnets in the Piel Frama case affect the 3G iPad GPS or compass?

Darth Maniac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Piel Frama case - expensive but gorgeous to look at. It does add a little bulk but it looks classy as hell. The bulk also makes me think it would be great protection if I dropped my iPad.

I went for the snap closure version as I didnt like the thought of magnets either but I have read that it doesn't have an effect.

I agree that the only downside is the typing angle of the case - useable but not great and it doesn't feel firm enough when typing.

joshuableu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vaja Warning

I wanted to share some experiences I have had with Vaja Corp, maker of leather cases for iPhone and Ipad.

I ordered two custom iPad Cases in late May. Delivery was to have been in 45 days, it was stated on their website and in their order confirmation. The credit card was charged instantly on ordering. At about 35 days after placing the order I contacted their customer service in Argentina inquiring if delivery was still on time. The answer was quite contrite, “Delivery is 45 days from order.†No familiarities, no thank you for your order.

At 47 days and no receipt of goods, I again contacted their customer service. The answer this time was to quote the FAQ section of their website which states in poor English that “delivery time is a guess.â€
They concluded this e-mail with, “At present, demand is huge so our production processes are taking a little bit longer than normal.â€
We leave for three weeks in Europe and will have no Vaja case for the iPads. Buyers should beware of ordering from this company as they want the money quickly but do not deliver on the product.

thehatguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.greatthreads.com
I've got a black/ruby wine iVolution top case I won't be using.

Brand new, never been used.

I've got a good deal.

PM me if interested.

Going to put it in my eBay store pretty soon.

John

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted to share some experiences I have had with Vaja Corp, maker of leather cases for iPhone and Ipad.

I ordered two custom iPad Cases in late May. Delivery was to have been in 45 days, it was stated on their website and in their order confirmation. The credit card was charged instantly on ordering. At about 35 days after placing the order I contacted their customer service in Argentina inquiring if delivery was still on time. The answer was quite contrite, “Delivery is 45 days from order.†No familiarities, no thank you for your order.

At 47 days and no receipt of goods, I again contacted their customer service. The answer this time was to quote the FAQ section of their website which states in poor English that “delivery time is a guess.â€
They concluded this e-mail with, “At present, demand is huge so our production processes are taking a little bit longer than normal.â€
We leave for three weeks in Europe and will have no Vaja case for the iPads. Buyers should beware of ordering from this company as they want the money quickly but do not deliver on the product.

Cancel order. Dispute charge.

celly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got Vaja cases on just about every gadget I own. I've never had issues with their service. I did have several questions about my most recent order (Libretto case for my iPad 2) and I always got timely and helpful replies to my emails. I got the case a few days earlier than their scheduled date.

As with all my cases, the Libretto is of extremely high quality. Smells nice too.

Most reactions

Latest posts