What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Moto Droid to Tether iPad

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A kernel is hard to explain if you have to ask. Basically, a computing device has "Layers". The foundation layer is the hardware. The top layer is the user interface of the operating system or the application layer if an app is open. In between you have other layers, one of which is a kernel that lays somewhere between the hardware and the operating system, before the drivers layer. Hardware loads, then the kernel, then the drivers, then the OS. That is what you are waiting on when you boot a computer.

So the kernel provides the information that the OS uses to drive the hardware. Things like, how fast can the CPU run (clock speed) are controlled by the kernel. Also, on the droid, the ability toi use the wifi radio chip is controleld by the kernel.

A custom kernel will unlock things that the stock phone was not suppose to do. The manaufacturer will not provide support for these things but it will not void any warranty...they just won't help you if it breaks it. I use a kernel built by P3Droid (search for pete or p3droid kernels on Droidfourms.net) that allows for over clocking and wireless tether. Pete modified the stock kernel to allow those items..he did not build it from scratch. Some phones allow the use of a low voltage kernel while others puke on them. Its a trial and error process to see if yours can benefit from a low voltage kernel. The advantage is a slightly longer battery life and cooler processor temps. But the benefitis is not worth the constant locking and rebooting if your phone won't handle it. I use a standard voltage kernel with a OC speed of 1 ghz with 7 slots (slots means how many different clock speeds will it support, 250 through 1000 mhz).

Any more information needed, search for it on Droidforums.net. Lots of noob posts asking the same questions.

Nate (I use the same screen name and user id on that forum so you'll find me there next)

nykbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I both have EVO's and iPads. Out EVOs are rooted and have WiFi tether installed. All of a sudden the WiFi tether did not work. When I checked I thought it was an iPad issue, but I got the same4 issue with a laptop.

So finally I tested the WiFi tether with my Evo and iPad at my office. It seemed to work flawlessly.

Conclusion: the cellular signal at my home is weak, being one or two bars. At my office I get a full signal and some 4G. It seems to me that the WiFi tether may not work when the signal appears weak below a certain level.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nykbob, how did u root your evo? z4? thats how my droix x is done but i have co workers wondering how to root theres but i wasent sure since they have htc's

DDustiNN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know there are a few threads similar to this that I have been looking through, but none of them have solved my issue.
I got my iPad 32 wifi last night and am having trouble tethering it with my Droid (running 2.2.1 & rooted).
I've tried using Wireless Tether and Barnacle.
I heard that Wireless Tether won't work with the default ROM. But it says on the Barnacle site that it will work with the default ROM.
My iPad finds the network fine, but when I go in a browser or something, it says its not connected to the internet.

Any advice or something I can try?
It's kinda bumming me out because I didn't get the 3G one specifically so I could tether.

Thanks.
This is my problem exactly! I, too, have wireless tether and barnacle and both will show on the iPad but neither will connect me to the Internet. I.m going to try to find cyanogen. If you have success, please post it and so will I.

Did you figure this out? I have a rooted HTC Droid Eris, running KaosFroyo (CM6-based 2.2 ROM). When I use the Wireless Tether app, I start the tether, the iPad sees it and asks for the password, I type it in and it accepts it, yet I cannot access the internet. I can not figure out what I'm doing wrong...

If I try Barnacle, it just tells me I need to be rooted to have "su" access. Well I know I have su because I use Root Explorer and it lets me do everything just fine...

Any tips? This is driving me insane!

EDIT: Well, somehow I got it magically start working now... All I did was change the SSID and keep trying the same thing... How annoying. Well, hopefully i don't go through this much trouble when I actually need to use it, haha... I was just trying to make sure i can actually get it to work.

Last edited:

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wireless tether works fine with the stock rom. But you have to be rooted. Sister forums, droidfourms.net has a hacker section to walk you through it. Barnacle works fine without root but can be a hassle to set up...email the developer...he is very responsive.

Once one of those is working properly you can connect the iPad through the wireless settings. But the default in the iPad will be to not auto connect. Flip that switch and it will then grab the dns settings it needs to make the complete Internet connection. Otherwise it jet gets an ip and doesn't know what to do after that.

I am connected to a rooted moto Droid running stock fray rom right now. Let's see if this post shows up.

Nate

Did you guys having trouble connecting to the Internet try this? Mine has been working flawlessly since I flipped the switch mentioned above.

Nate

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wireless tether works fine with my rooted droid x....but when ever I set the passphrase to on to lock the "android tether" I would type in my password fine but would never get the alert on my droid saying i connect like it does when it's not locked...not that serious though only use it on the road some

cgravsha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DUSTIN,
I am using the wireless tether with my HTC Eris and I can only get it to work if I set the encryption setting to off. I have tried to secure the network but my iPad says I'm connected but the 3G symbol still stays in the upper left corner.

Try turning off your encryption and see if that helps!
CG

QUOTE=DDustiNN;112640]
Hey guys,
I know there are a few threads similar to this that I have been looking through, but none of them have solved my issue.
I got my iPad 32 wifi last night and am having trouble tethering it with my Droid (running 2.2.1 & rooted).
I've tried using Wireless Tether and Barnacle.
I heard that Wireless Tether won't work with the default ROM. But it says on the Barnacle site that it will work with the default ROM.
My iPad finds the network fine, but when I go in a browser or something, it says its not connected to the internet.

Any advice or something I can try?
It's kinda bumming me out because I didn't get the 3G one specifically so I could tether.

Thanks.
This is my problem exactly! I, too, have wireless tether and barnacle and both will show on the iPad but neither will connect me to the Internet. I.m going to try to find cyanogen. If you have success, please post it and so will I.

Did you figure this out? I have a rooted HTC Droid Eris, running KaosFroyo (CM6-based 2.2 ROM). When I use the Wireless Tether app, I start the tether, the iPad sees it and asks for the password, I type it in and it accepts it, yet I cannot access the internet. I can not figure out what I'm doing wrong...

If I try Barnacle, it just tells me I need to be rooted to have "su" access. Well I know I have su because I use Root Explorer and it lets me do everything just fine...

Any tips? This is driving me insane!

EDIT: Well, somehow I got it magically start working now... All I did was change the SSID and keep trying the same thing... How annoying. Well, hopefully i don't go through this much trouble when I actually need to use it, haha... I was just trying to make sure i can actually get it to work.[/QUOTE]

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about locking it.....I can't get my to connect with the lock on.....lock off works like a charm

tweeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bumping this up! I hope to get the new iPod2 on Friday, and it will be my very first ever Apple thing. The forum has been a huge help, and I've learned a lot.

I'm hoping to be able to tether to my Motorola Droid, which I somehow managed to root. I'm a techno-dummie, and I'm ashamed to tell you how long it took me to figure that out. Anyway, my question is, will I have to do anything to the ipad to do the tethering? I'm planning on getting the wifi-3G version.

Thanks for any help.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tweeter said:
Bumping this up! I hope to get the new iPod2 on Friday, and it will be my very first ever Apple thing. The forum has been a huge help, and I've learned a lot.

I'm hoping to be able to tether to my Motorola Droid, which I somehow managed to root. I'm a techno-dummie, and I'm ashamed to tell you how long it took me to figure that out. Anyway, my question is, will I have to do anything to the ipad to do the tethering? I'm planning on getting the wifi-3G version.

Thanks for any help.

What tether app you use? I use "wireless tether" and I have a wifi only iPad.....just cut your tether on your phone and make sure wifi is on your iPad and it comes up right away as "android tether", I guess u play on not activating the 3G? Shouldn't have to if your gonna tether from droid as I do with my droid x

tweeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I've tried every tether known to man. I've got the "wireles tether" on both my droid and archos...do the press the green thingie....nothing happens
on the log for the tablet, it says the "enabling NAT rules" failed. Yesterday I didn't see that, but it still didn't work.

sigh.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tweeter said:
I think I've tried every tether known to man. I've got the "wireles tether" on both my droid and archos...do the press the green thingie....nothing happens
on the log for the tablet, it says the "enabling NAT rules" failed. Yesterday I didn't see that, but it still didn't work.

sigh.

Yea I have wireless tether, I just open, press green signal to start tethering at the bottom of screen it says "wireless tether has been granted superuser permissions" then I just close it and let it run in background and you'll see the green signal up top of phone in notification bar...then cut wifi on on my iPad and it shows signal right away no problems

Most reactions

Latest posts