What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using iPad3 in another country

packard10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys. I just ordered the new iPad from the states, but I'm currently living in south Korea. I've found a little about this, but what I found doesn't answer my question. I ordered the wifi only iPad thinking I can just use my iPad with my iPhone hotspot and because obviously I wouldn't be in the states to use it with one our carriers there. I plan to come back to the states eventually though, so any thoughts on this? Should I change my order and spring form the 4g? Keep in mind iPad 3 doesn't even come out here for 4 months, and it's about 300 bucks to register with an Asian market. I've been told I could always take it to a store and have them change it internally to a 4g one when I return. Is this true?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware, what you buy is what you are stuck with. There is no way to upgrade a wifi only iPad to a 3G/4G model, so yes, if you figure you'll need it, change your order.

OP
P

packard10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
As far as I'm aware, what you buy is what you are stuck with. There is no way to upgrade a wifi only iPad to a 3G/4G model, so yes, if you figure you'll need it, change your order.

If i purchase the 4g one, can I just turn off the data? Or just not purchase a package from a carrier in the states, to avoid roaming charges.

L

Lunar

If i purchase the 4g one, can I just turn off the data? Or just not purchase a package from a carrier in the states, to avoid roaming charges.

Yes you can turn the 3/4g data off, and also prevent any roaming charges. Mine is pernanently disabled until such time I need it.

OP
P

packard10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Texas Holders said:
Are you saying it costs $300 to get a sim card in Korea?

I'm not sure. The prison just said to register it with a carrier over here it's 300. Nothing else..

OP
P

packard10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
packard10 said:
I'm not sure. The prison just said to register it with a carrier over here it's 300. Nothing else..

Ugh. My iPhone autocorrected person to prison... Not sure why. I was writing this with not a lot of time.

Most reactions

Latest posts