What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the genuine Apple HDMI Adapter work on the iPad 3 ?

L

Lunar

I've just dropped a clanger, by ordering from a Ebay dealer a Genuine Apple HDMI iPad adapter, It's listed for the iPad 2, and I've since noticed a line of small print on the sellers listing stating 'Not recommended for iPad 3'... doh.. so I've asked the seller to cancel the order and refund accordingly.. apologising for any inconvenience.

So.. does anyone know if these iPad2 Apple HMI adapters work on a iPad 3, obviously the seller thinks there may be issues for him to put the comment on his listing.. sadly I did'nt spot it until after I ordered. I've sent him a message cancelling AIS and am waiting for him to come back to me... but if it works.. happy to use it.. I would have thought the 30way connector would be the same.. but I've no idea.

Does anyone use one?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm using it right now on my iPad 3 as I type this. The iPad did pop up a message saying this accessory is not supported as soon as I made the connection to the tv....so I can see why a vendor would have that restriction, because it would generate a lot of time-wasting interaction.....but I'm using it right now on a 1080 screen. The screen looks ok but is obviously not full iPad resolution.

OP
L

Lunar

ah.. thanks for that.. I doubt there will be any dedicated versions especially for the iPad 3 for some time. I did come across 1 comment while googling for a answer after I posted this, and one user stated that any issues he had with his iPad3 while using the adapter were overcome by powering off his iPad first, and then it would power up okay when the lead was connected.

I was thinking the adapter may prove useful for playing back films ect. from the iPad on our large TV in our holiday home when staying there, or when in Hotels assuming their TV had a HMI connection of course. I suppose I can try it if the seller ignores my cancellation request, Plus I can always use it on the Wifes iPad 1 if it works on that.:) Sounds like it will work on the iPad3 to some degree.. so not too bad..lol.. and 1080i would be fine.

Have to decide now whether to let the seller send it or not..lol.. so I assume other than the message it works fine.

Cheers matey

Last edited by a moderator:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The HDMI adapter is fine on both iPad2 and iPad3 (as is the camer connection kit and the dock). No problems at all here. Apple tend not to do "dedicated" peripherals like this if they can avoid it - e.g. by changing a physical design element they may force a dedicated peripheral.

OP
L

Lunar

The HDMI adapter is fine on both iPad2 and iPad3 (as is the camer connection kit and the dock). No problems at all here. Apple tend not to do "dedicated" peripherals like this if they can avoid it - e.g. by changing a physical design element they may force a dedicated peripheral.

Thanks for the reply.. after reading the other poster's reply too, I've decided to let the seller send it out to me.. if the worst happens and it does'nt work which is unlikely from what you say.. then it may still work on my wife's iPad1.. IOW we can always use that if necessary..

OP
L

Lunar

Thanks for the reply.. after reading the other poster's reply too, I've told the seller send it out to me.. if the worst happens and it does'nt work which is unlikely from what I've heard.. then it may still work on my wife'siPad1.. IOW we can always use that if necessary..

OP
L

Lunar

The HDMI adapter arrived today, and I've spent the last half hour trying it out with BuzzPlayer HD, and it looks pretty good on the large screen TV and my monitor, actually a little better than I was expecting.. so yes can confirm you were 100% correct as usual.. it works great I just had 1 small compability message too but once you close it as you stated it works fine, infact I never saw the message again after, and I would think this is something that will likely get fixed in a future software update so it recognises the iPad 3 properly instead of popping the message up.

It should to be quite useful to us, as it means I can now stream films etc direct from my iPhone and ipads to a big TV, I like the way you can switch beween full TV out so your ipad screen is off or you can mirror whats on the iPad screen.. this BuzzPlayer HD is not too bad either once you start to get into it... app also streams media from my PC and other devices too... works very well.. so thats a bonus too.
Thank you guys... greatly appreciated.. :))

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts