What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Ipad with a PC

jkirby65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there---

I am considering purchasing an Ipad, but I will remain a PC user. I have a PC laptop for work, and I use that at home. So, my many questions pertain to using an ipad with a pc. Here they are:

1) Can I sync mail, calendar with outlook? I currently sync outlook calendar with google calendar and this works just fine. But I would like to have a calendar on the ipad without having access to the internet

2) "Things" looks terrific as a To Do list, but can I sync that with outlook, remember the milk, or some other To Do list. Again, I would like to have a to do list even when I do not have access to wifi.

Thanks!

alexislee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i just got my ipad this morning, also have lots of questions. hope someone can answer them.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think there is a way to sync google calendar with iPad. I have never tried it thou as I don't like the calendar app on iPad. I checked out the store and I haven't found a compelling substitutes either.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think there is a way to sync google calendar with iPad. I have never tried it thou as I don't like the calendar app on iPad. I checked out the store and I haven't found a compelling substitutes either.

The way I sync my google calendar is by syncing my iCal with it. You would do the same with the ical on your iPad. In your calendar settings in Google Calendar on line it walks you through it.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there---

I am considering purchasing an Ipad, but I will remain a PC user. I have a PC laptop for work, and I use that at home. So, my many questions pertain to using an ipad with a pc. Here they are:

1) Can I sync mail, calendar with outlook? I currently sync outlook calendar with google calendar and this works just fine. But I would like to have a calendar on the ipad without having access to the internet

2) "Things" looks terrific as a To Do list, but can I sync that with outlook, remember the milk, or some other To Do list. Again, I would like to have a to do list even when I do not have access to wifi.

Thanks!
OK for Outlook Calendar and Contacts you have several options. You can sync Outlook via Gmail Exchange... but that will require Internet access. But it is slick and works well. You enter appointment on iPad, for instance, and it pushes it to Google Calendar which then syncs it with Outlook.

(I use MobleMe, which costs me about $50 per year via ebay, to do the same thing. I use it for Find My Iphone/iPad too... and its syncing seems to be a bit more reliable.)

Alternately, if you don't want to have to have Internet access on iPad to sync, iTunes can sync directly with Outlook for Contacts and Calendar (not Tasks). This happens when you sync the iPad to iTunes. It is not real-time, only when you sync.

As for email, iTunes will only sync email accounts, not the mail itself--and and even that can be messy. I recommend setting the email account(s) up on the iPad itself. Again, there is no syncing of the email itself. You always load it in the Mail app on the iPad. You need internet access of course, but what is the point of email without it.

As for Tasks, not quite as simple due to the fact that there is no native tasks app in iOS (something I have always wondered about).

But it can be done, though I don't think with Things--app has no PC counterpart, only Mac.

But you can sign up for a free ToodleDo account, which can be setup to sync to Outlook. And there is a ToodleDo iPhone/iPad app (same app works for both iPhone and iPad). So this would let you use ToodleDo on iPad for ToDo's, which would then sync back to Toodledo account, which in turn syncs back to Outlook. Hey it works! ;)

Michael

Last edited:

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have my itunes sync'd to my Office contacts and calander. So my ipad has the same contacts and calander dates as my PC.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I agree, the built in calendar app on iPad is horrible. I prefer Pocket Informant, it has many more features and functions as a project/task manager as well as a calendar.

Welcome to WebIS.net - Pocket Informant for iPad

Why anyone would choose not to just sync to Google Calendar directly I cannot really understand.

Gtdagenda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gtdagenda

[FONT=&quot]If you’d like a tool for managing your time and projects, you can use this web-application inspired by [/FONT][FONT=&quot]David Allen[/FONT][FONT=&quot]’s GTD:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gtdagenda.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You can use it to manage and prioritize your goals, projects and tasks, set next actions and contexts, use checklists, schedules and a calendar.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Comes with a mobile version too, and with an Android app.[/FONT]

grampus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there---

Thanks!
Yes,
I have Windoze 7, Outlook.
Sync my calendar quite happily.
Doesn't sync my email from my PC.
Don't know anything about "Things". But I use my calendar constantly to remember any to do actions.

Most reactions

Latest posts